Couple of suggestions or wishes for News Items

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
First is the Assetto Corsa Dream Pack. This includes what is promoted as the only laser scanned version of the Nords in sim racing (I take it they are referring to PC sim racing only) to date, the release of several new cars and some major alterations to the physics engine to include 4wd cars, active aero, hybrids and live axel modeling. These will also be available to modders opening up a huge range of possibilities for the game moving forward. Some details are released but I think it would make a good news item on it's day of release:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/dreampack1/

Second is the release of Project Cars. I do hope this gets the attention it deserves and highlights the groundbreaking work they've done both in their crowdfundingish finance model, developing the game side by side with the community, and bringing full on, state of the art simulation racing to console and pc simultaneously. This game I believe has the potential to bring a whole new level of simulation to the console player and I for one am really cheering for it's success. (Hard to believe right:sly:)

+1, I would like to see more news items for the other major racing games too. I already saw it happening with the GTP livery for PCARS and when Forza 6 was announced and i can only applaud this 👍 (especially seeing GT is going downhill in the last years, and many of us are playing something else now).

And another +1, the GTP Rewind used to not include any Forza stuff, and now it seems to be creeping towards an even-split. It could be made into a 4-part rewind, GT/Forza/AC/P.CARS and then throw in smaller (but no less significant) games like RaceRoom Racing Experience & Game Stock-Car Extreme as filler if needed (for say a slow week on the GT front).

It'd be very convenient, for many, to stick around GTPlanet for all things GT & Otherwise (mostly the latter :sly:), rather than have to hop-around multiple forums or threads for multiple games to find out whats happening in the sim-world.

+1 We NEED "GTPlanet Community Spotlight" for those games, it will be worth it to read them all of the news and such. The GT6 News once again started to go quite after the 1.16 Update.
------------------------------------
In GTPlanet Picture of the Week, we see a GT6, DC or other games screenshots, how about making it separate for each game, i mean we get "GTPlanet Picture of the Week - GT6", "GTP POTW - Project Cars" ..etc something like that, all in one Community Spotlight. Sounds a bit odd? well that's your choice Terronium-12.

Offtopic:
but's really sad to see people hating GT, i wish if they like announce something impossible to think from a company like PD, something that will turn peoples head and make every guy who interested in Simulator racing to Buy, support GT and become a fan of it. That's something won't ever happen anyway.

Last edited:
If I may weigh in . . . :D

I have met non-GTPlanet members in lobbies who, upon hearing I'm a GTPlanet member, or have asked them if they were, would speak of the site with respect, even awe. To quote one of them, Hanree: "That's the authentic place. That's the place I go for authentic GT stuff. It's the real thing."
We were talking about Gran Turismo sites.
GTPlanet is regarded, not only by members, but by outsiders, as traditionally Gran Turismo - in fact the go-to site first for anything Gran Turismo, even before checking the blahblah on the official sites.
There, of course, may be the perception that the Gran Turismo Series is not big, or worthy enough, or lacking in some way, to fully carry the site.
This is not true for many others, who come here only because of Gran Turismo, everything else it offers merely also freely available elsewhere.

This is not to say we must ignore the needs of members who come here for anything other than Gran Turismo.
The Off Topic Forums are at times as busy as many of the gaming sub-forums, and is a vital and thriving hub that keeps the community together and in contact with one another.
How does the News Section affect them?

But, as a family-oriented 'Gaming Forum', should we ignore the needs of non-GT gamers? I'm sure there are Pokemon fans in here, as well as gamers who play everything from Halo to Minecraft - should we ignore them?
What is the latest news about TDU? Any chance of TDU3? I'd like to know.
But this isn't where I search for that news.

Should we give space to news about other racing games, and change the face of the site?

Maybe only the GTPlanet webmaster knows best, having grown up with it. :)

@photonrider yes indeed it is mainly a GT site (luckily due to lack of a proper official one), and i understand that the main focus should stay with Gran Turismo.

Yet times have changed and many of us who originally came here for GT have moved away to the competition, so all we are asking for is a couple of news items in between, which would be handy for people to know things are happening with the other popular racing games also. That doesn't mean GT news should disappear from the main page, it would just be nice to read about the major updates for Forza, AC, PCARS etcetera ;)

I'd rather read about AC's dream pack, the release of PCARS next month or the fact that real DTM drivers are doing a competition with people playing Raceroom, then that Brian Heitkotter tested a car somewhere (with all due respect for Brian).

@photonrider yes indeed it is mainly a GT site (luckily due to lack of a proper official one), and i understand that the main focus should stay with Gran Turismo.

Yet times have changed and many of us who originally came here for GT have moved away to the competition, so all we are asking for is a couple of news items in between, which would be handy for people to know things are happening with the other popular racing games also. That doesn't mean GT news should disappear from the main page, it would just be nice to read about the major updates for Forza, AC, PCARS etcetera ;)

I'd rather read about AC's dream pack, the release of PCARS next month or the fact that real DTM drivers are doing a competition with people playing Raceroom, then that Brian Heitkotter tested a car somewhere (with all due respect for Brian).
Sim Racing is growing in leaps and bounds IMO and while this will probably always be a GT-centric site, the popularity of the genre as a whole is growing at a dramatic rate and I'd like to see GTPlanet grow along with it. I don't think many people realize the depth and complexity of the Project Cars and just how groundbreaking it is that this game is coming to every platform on an equal basis, Wii excepted of course. With what must be close to 20,000 posts in the Project Cars Forum and the game not yet released, it's popularity here is undeniable. Assetto Corsa is not quite on the same level yet IMO, but the devotion of it's fans is undeniable and it's mix of street and race cars makes it like a mini-Gran Turismo for PC gaming, a natural crossover game for anyone making the move from console to PC.

It comes down to what GTPlanet wants to focus on. Everything Gran Turismo or take a broader view.

For those of us that have moved on, taking a broader view by raising the profile of other racing titles on this site would be a good thing.

it's an exciting time in Sim Racing, so many good things on the horizon that GTPlanet could take advantage of. Having some non-Gran Turismo news items would be welcome.

In my humble opinion.

I'd wager that a lot of PC sim racers cut their teeth on Gran Turismo and I would like to see a more active area for GT graduates to call home. I'd guess with the current state of GT, more and more of us are moving on from the game but don't necessarily want to move on from GTP.

GTPlanet may have started with Gran Turismo but the term GT now applies to a whole range of racing and petrolhead goodness so I don't think it would hurt them to spread their wings a bit and welcome a wider audience. We do have token sections for PC sims but they're not terribly active, having the occasional news story about PC sims could help boost interest/awareness.

One thing I'd really like to see is an official area for organizing online club/league racing for PC sims, much like they do for GT. If people could stay here to organize their PC racing it would boost visitors to the site which is good for GTP and it allows us refugees to continue racing and enjoying the hobby with our old GT friends.

Last edited:
@Jordan would you allow a news item in between the GT news regarding the other popular franchises? Wednesday there's the dream pack for AC and next months the PCARS release for example? Would be nice that they get some spotlight too.

@Jordan would you allow a news item in between the GT news regarding the other popular franchises? Wednesday there's the dream pack for AC and next months the PCARS release for example? Would be nice that they get some spotlight too.
No, neither fits into the current scope of the news page. I may do another feature on the GTPlanet-liveried RUF CTR3 in pCARS, though. Expanding editorial coverage to more games is something I've considered for years now, and it's interesting to hear thoughts on the idea, but it would be a major, major decision.

No, neither fits into the current scope of the news page. I may do another feature on the GTPlanet-liveried RUF CTR3 in pCARS, though. Expanding editorial coverage to more games is something I've considered for years now, and it's interesting to hear thoughts on the idea, but it would be a major, major decision.
Thanks for the answer, i know it must feel to you like GTP would loose a part of it's identity that way, so i respect your decision. Thing is that the focus is shifting away from GT more and more due to it's poor form in recent years, and if GT7 doesn't reclaim the throne but falls even deeper into the abyss GTP might end up as collateral damage. But let's wait and see until 2016 first :D

Enough said.

I've pretty much transitioned off GTPlanet, so if you have little desire to provide decent support for non Kaz platforms, there's the nudge.

:cheers:

>implying majority of people here who came here for GT moved away to other titles

That applies only to the vocal minority here. Also, for the record, the Rewind did carry news from other games. ;)

>implying majority of people here who came here for GT moved away to other titles

That applies only to the vocal minority here. Also, for the record, the Rewind did carry news from other games. ;)
'Many of us' does not equal a majority.

Anyhow, if the focus of the news section has to stay strictly with GT (even though a lot of times it's more on GT academy due to lack of news about the game itself) so be it, i don't think some non GT news item would hurt that image, since the forum is diverse enough already to cater for sim racing in general.

Back