Course "Maker" Tips

• Thread starter NOSWaster
  • 9 comments
United States
Eskimo Land
NOS_Waster
NOS Waster
Hello, everyone.

I've currently been fooling around with the course maker quite a bit and have been trying to make some real gems with it and seem to be shooting in the dark with this one. I'm currently experimenting with the amount of sectors on the track to see if that has any effect on whether I can get a more complex track. So far with four sectors I seem to be getting roughly the same length and even more complex tracks than ones with seven sectors.

Is there some magical way to go about this on Mt.Aso? I think I've been nailing some neat configurations on Eiffel, but the mountain is something I've had a love for. For the life of me I can't figure out why most of my tracks are simple shapes and not challenging amoebas.

My normal usage of the course maker is 7 sectors with varying complexity between 5 and 7. Now I tried 4 sectors and was able to get sectors of complexity 10 that actually looked nice, so what say you, fellow GT players? Is there a good way to get courses on this broken tool?

Note: I have already run searches for topics like this and whatever I've searched has come up dead.

EDIT: I have found that using four sectors with their complexity at 10 yields some fantastic looking configurations on Mt. Aso. Go figure.

EDIT2: Is it normal for it to be RAINING on Mt.Aso? @.@

Last edited:
Sorry the only advice I can give you is that sometimes less is more. The best tracks I have made have been very simple and short.

4-5 Sectors with no higher than 7 complexity give the best results on Eifel.

I stay away from courses that have overly blind corners, or poorly modeled "bumpy corners".

Adjusting the corner sharpness will often times move rumble strips around, good for putting them where you want them. (doesn't always work)

Check the link in my signature for some good examples of my work. ;)

Someone asked me to give some tips on track creation so I thought I'd revive this thread.

These are the techniques I use. YMMV.

Always adjust sectors starting with 1. If you adjust sector 3 until it's perfect and then you adjust sector 2 you will usually lose your layout of sector 3. But if you do 2 first it won't change when you do 3.

I use width 0 for Eifel and Toscana tracks. Banking 3 seems good most of the time.

For shorter tracks I like to start with 3 sectors; sectors 1 and 3 set to complexity 8 or 9, sector 2 set to complexity 0.

Cycle track layouts until you get something reasonably flat (meaning the track elevation is less than 150ft) and has an interesting sector 1.

Play with the complexity and corner sharpness to see if you can get a sector 1 you like.

Adjust the complexity and sharpness of sector 3 to see if you can get a sector 3 you like.

If you like sector 1 but sector 3 just isn't right no matter what you do, try increasing the complexity of sector 2 until the layout of sector 3 changes. When you adjust complexity of a sector it will usually change all sectors after. Sometimes at high complexities it will change the entire layout. If that happens just undo your changes. If you go back to a previous setting you will always get your previous layout.

For longer tracks the same rules apply but just more so. For longer tracks elevation can be more.

It's best to have about 1/3 of your sectors with low complexity to give you some straight sections. Such as 9-8-0-8-9-3-9. But the best tracks seem to have high complexity first and last sectors so adjust accordingly.

Generally, avoid widths over 1 and banking over 4.

Sometimes when you reduce corner sharpness some of the corners will actually get sharper. You can use this to make interesting sectors with both tight and open corners.

Sharp corners at the beginning and end of straights will create passing zones.

Kart tracks make great time attack tracks, and good race tracks for low power cars. You can get alot tighter corners in the kart layouts. But they’re very narrow so if you plan to use cars on them set the width to 5. Tokyo Bay will give a wider track than Eifel Kart. And remember there is no pit road so no pit stops.

Last edited:
Someone asked me to give some tips on track creation so I thought I'd revive this thread.

These are the techniques I use. YMMV.

Always adjust sectors starting with 1. If you adjust sector 3 until it's perfect and then you adjust sector 2 you will usually lose your layout of sector 3. But if you do 2 first it won't change when you do 3.

I use width 0 for Eifel and Toscana tracks. Banking 3 seems good most of the time.

For shorter tracks I like to start with 3 sectors; sectors 1 and 3 set to complexity 8 or 9, sector 2 set to complexity 0.

Cycle track layouts until you get something reasonably flat (meaning the track elevation is less than 150ft) and has an interesting sector 1.

Play with the complexity and corner sharpness to see if you can get a sector 1 you like.

Adjust the complexity and sharpness of sector 3 to see if you can get a sector 3 you like.

If you like sector 1 but sector 3 just isn't right no matter what you do, try increasing the complexity of sector 2 until the layout of sector 3 changes. When you adjust complexity of a sector it will usually change all sectors after. Sometimes at high complexities it will change the entire layout. If that happens just undo your changes. If you go back to a previous setting you will always get your previous layout.

For longer tracks the same rules apply but just more so. For longer tracks elevation can be more.

It's best to have about 1/3 of your sectors with low complexity to give you some straight sections. Such as 9-8-0-8-9-3-9. But the best tracks seem to have high complexity first and last sectors so adjust accordingly.

Generally, avoid widths over 1 and banking over 4.

Sometimes when you reduce corner sharpness some of the corners will actually get sharper. You can use this to make interesting sectors with both tight and open corners.

Sharp corners at the beginning and end of straights will create passing zones.

Kart tracks make great time attack tracks, and good race tracks for low power cars. You can get alot tighter corners in the kart layouts. But they’re very narrow so if you plan to use cars on them set the width to 5. Tokyo Bay will give a wider track than Eifel Kart. And remember there is no pit road so no pit stops.

Man, really realy thanks for your advice! I'll try those.

BTW, after all this time since GT5 release some people doesn't seem to try course generator anymore. From some updates until now I feel some stuff slightly different. Mt. Aso, generates different results than 3 updates before.

Dunno if I was clear enough but it just feels different... the track placement, etc.

The issue wth the course maker isnt the track generator, its really the terrain generator. you always end up with blind corners from the hills.

Back