COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Just watching live coverage of the buses leaving... and the drivers are not wearing any protection at all. Meanwhile, there's a person in a hazmat suit sitting right next to them. :ouch:

I mean, seriously...

I heard it only spreads in close proximity. The person in the hazmat suit is probably there to assist the passengers.

I was always told you put in a coconut, and drink them both up.

or put them both in a bottle of corona?

Anyways as this continues the threat to the US population is "extremely low" and all the news are making that the headline like it's nothing to worry.
The threat to the US population from the flu is "extremely high" yet no words on that. Maybe because it's so common.

Best bet is to practice good hygiene and don't eat exotic animals unless prepared properly.
So no licking the toad please.

As some say.
Just fight through this and we'll all be back to normal.

Meanwhile, UK citizens evacuated from Wuhan have arrived back in the UK and are to be bussed out of RAF Brize Norton...

View attachment 886482

Seriously, who booked that coach company?! :ouch:

(P.S. This is a real picture incase anyone thinks I'm joking...)
Ben, who has been posting video from inside Wuhan, shows the scenery from inside his airplane and the bus on his way to quarantine.

Our daily Dow Jones stock averages are currently off 564 points. Transports and energy are severely affected. A 0.5% dip in first quarter GDP is anticipated, with all bets off if the epidemic lasts longer than 3 months.

Last edited:
I’m not really sure about that.

I’ve read from an article that some influencers in mainland China have actually built their reputation and fame on teaching others how to breed and cook wild animals, and while that influencer did not commercially sell such wild animals, citing the complicated legal procedures to go through as a reason, other influencers did, and claimed that the rats they sell aren’t enough to meet consumer demand, suggesting that commercial sales of live wild animals for consumption is not banned in China, and also that the phenomenon is not as confined to specific communities as you say. Granted, it may not be a majority of the rural population, but it’s probably large enough to be alarming.

(Again, sorry for the link in Chinese...)

1. I am ethnic Han Chinese
2. I lived in china for 2 1/2 years
3. HK is also notorious for their diet of birds nest and sharkfins etc.

Honestly, from the statistics I see it appears that the coronavirus is significantly less deadly than the common flu...

...at the moment.

I suspect the vast majority of the concern is about when, if, and how the the virus mutates, and that the containment procedures being put in place are to effectively kill this thing off before it has a chance to alter itself.

Honestly, from the statistics I see it appears that the coronavirus is significantly less deadly than the common flu...

Then you may be misreading. We went over the figures (such as they're known) earlier, common 'flu is about 10 times less deadly than coronavirus on the figures we have so far.

To find a 'flu with a similar 2% fatality rate you have to go back to the early 20th century, a time when latent health condition was lower and 'flu vaccination was still a couple of decades away. Modern 'flu is nearer 0.1%-0.2% in advanced countries although an epidemic in less-developed nations would have a higher rate.

It might seem that way, but remember, millions and millions of people get one of the flu viruses every year so the fatality rate is going to look higher. I haven't seen the latest numbers, but I know thousands have already died in the US due to the flu this season. But there's probably been several hundred thousand cases of the flu too. So while, yes, more people are dying from the flu, more people are also contracting it.

Okay, tinfoil hat time.

What if this is an engineered virus that was released, possibly by accident, would other scientist be able to find signs of modification in the virus?

US has now put a entry isolation for anyone coming in from China (for 2 weeks) and has a level 4 travel ban to China.

Also looking at the numbers.
at lease 100 or so new cases from the 29th and 30th.
Wonder if it's possibly slowing down currently or is all the ones that were initially infected have been fully exposed and now we wait for the others.

Okay, tinfoil hat time.

What if this is an engineered virus that was released, possibly by accident, would other scientist be able to find signs of modification in the virus?
I know only that WHO isn't accepting the animal market theory, and is urgently seeking to learn the true origin of the virus. Thirteen of the original 41 cases had no link to the food market.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...-not-be-source-novel-virus-spreading-globally

I acknowledge that conspiracy theories are fun and have their place in certain other threads. I'm going to respectfully suggest they be avoided in this one.

As long as it is speculation, and genuine questions (we have some fancy lab dwellers on GTP) this thread is a good as place as any.

My mind was pointing it at the Chinese, to thin out the herds, so to say.

If it were me, I wouldn't use a contagion for a controlled cull. Get's out of hand too easily....

... but for a flip-flopping nation that's decided Land mines are a good idea again, and is desperately trying to rescue it's economy having started a trade war with China... it could be a useful tool...

If it were me, I wouldn't use a contagion for a controlled cull. Get's out of hand too easily....

... but for a flip-flopping nation that's decided Land mines are a good idea again, and is desperately trying to rescue it's economy having started a trade war with China... it could be a useful tool...
I don't think this thread should be filled up with stupid conspiracy theories and poor jokes as a substitute for content. I think an effort should be made to make this a high quality thread where facts and data are discussed, useful and realistic ideas are considered. Of course the moderators are already making jokes, so I guess that may be license to drag the thread down into the usual gutter. On Reddit there are multiple threads on the subject, all with different levels of moderation and tolerance of conspiracy.

:idea:Hey, I - or anyone - could start a thread on the topic of Coronavirus Conspiracy!

I don't think this thread should be filled up with stupid conspiracy theories and poor jokes as a substitute for content. I think an effort should be made to make this a high quality thread where facts and data are discussed, useful and realistic ideas are considered. Of course the moderators are already making jokes, so I guess that may be license to drag the thread down into the usual gutter.

Fair enough.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims...

... that should do it.

You might not be wrong, but on a serious note, have you even read half of what you post?

I don't think this thread should be filled up with stupid conspiracy theories and poor jokes as a substitute for content. I think an effort should be made to make this a high quality thread where facts and data are discussed, useful and realistic ideas are considered. Of course the moderators are already making jokes, so I guess that may be license to drag the thread down into the usual gutter. On Reddit there are multiple threads on the subject, all with different levels of moderation and tolerance of conspiracy.

:idea:Hey, I - or anyone - could start a thread on the topic of Coronavirus Conspiracy!

This thread is slow enough for all sorts of corona chatter.

I am currently running on Dommelsch chatter, but still. Any level should be fine.

You literally posted memes in this thread.

3knu4d6fn3d41.jpg

You literally posted memes in this thread.
Yes I did. I did so because others including moderators were already posting them and receiving many, many likes. After Famine came down on me like a ton of bricks, I deleted most of them, as did others. Either they do have a place in a somber thread in order to relieve the mood and introduce a note of humor, or they do not. I am unsure.

I propose to start a new thread, "The Official GTP Thread for Tasteless Jokes, Memes and Conspiracy Theories about the Coronavirus Pandemic".
Would that be a good idea?

Edit:
Let's start right now. You want conspiracy? I got conspiracy.

Search for this keyword

Advanced Search

Comment on this paper
Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag
Prashant Pradhan, Ashutosh Kumar Pandey, Akhilesh Mishra, Parul Gupta, Praveen Kumar Tripathi, Manoj Balakrishna Menon, James Gomes, Perumal Vivekanandan, Bishwajit Kundu
doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871
This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review [what does this mean?].

Abstract

We are currently witnessing a major epidemic caused by the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019- nCoV). The evolution of 2019-nCoV remains elusive. We found 4 insertions in the spike glycoprotein (S) which are unique to the 2019-nCoV and are not present in other coronaviruses. Importantly, amino acid residues in all the 4 inserts have identity or similarity to those in the HIV-1 gp120 or HIV-1 Gag. Interestingly, despite the inserts being discontinuous on the primary amino acid sequence, 3D-modelling of the 2019-nCoV suggests that they converge to constitute the receptor binding site. The finding of 4 unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV, all of which have identity /similarity to amino acid residues in key structural proteins of HIV-1 is unlikely to be fortuitous in nature. This work provides yet unknown insights on 2019-nCoV and sheds light on the evolution and pathogenicity of this virus with important implications for diagnosis of this virus.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1

-----------------------------------
2019-nCoV virus update

--------------------

Event 201
In 18 months, 65 million will be dead.
https://futurism.com/neoscope/recent-simulation-coronavirus-killed-65-million-people

----------------------

At what point does conspiracy theory tip over in fear mongering? Find out below.

Last edited:
Okay, tinfoil hat time.

It's possible that it was engineered, but the differences in this strain compared to previous strains are consistent with what is possible naturally. In other words, it would be hard (if not impossible) to prove that it was engineered, but there's nothing about the virus that suggests that it was.

Complementary to the Who declaration, the United States has declared a national public health emergency.

Starting tomorrow:
Foreign nationals are temporarily suspended from entry into the US (for any deemed to pose a risk of transmitting 2019-nCoV).
Foreign nationals who have travelled to China in the past 14 days will be denied entry. (except for family of US citizens)
US returning travelers from China subject to 14 day quarantine. (self-administered if from province other than Hubei)
All planes from China routed to 1 of 7 airports.
New uniformed enforcement officers will be the first thing seen upon deplaning

More new regulations will come. Bottom line, potentially everybody coming to the US is subject to the possibility of quarantine in isolation.

Most unfortunately, it turns out the CDC test for the virus is not very reliable. For instance, 3 consecutive tests of a patient over 3 days may end in a detected/not detected/detected result. In other words, they are not sure that previously cleared travelers are really free of the virus.

Last edited:
After Famine came down on me like a ton of bricks
No, I asked why you were putting a meme at the end of every post. You said it was to get likes. I pointed out that likes don't make your posts any more insightful or valuable.

The ton of bricks route takes place in your private messages, and ends with you being unable to post any more. I haven't sent you any private messages, and you can still post.

I recall that you are a grown-up, and thus you are responsible for deciding what goes into your own posts - but you don't get to decide what goes into other people's posts, especially when it comes to deciding that people shouldn't make jokes or post memes when you already did that yourself.

US has now put a entry isolation for anyone coming in from China (for 2 weeks) and has a level 4 travel ban to China.

Also looking at the numbers.
at lease 100 or so new cases from the 29th and 30th.
Wonder if it's possibly slowing down currently or is all the ones that were initially infected have been fully exposed and now we wait for the others.
A German report shared on a European news YT channel believes the peak of the outbreak will hit in around 10 days. They seemed confident that most of world’s countries “infected” had a solid hold for the time being. They were worried if it spreads to countries with struggling medical reach.
What are you basing that off of? I'm not seeing recoveries as often as the flu.
Im guessing off the current indication that the virus has a 3% fatality rate (I believe), which is lower than SARS if I had seen the graphs shared correctly.

A German report shared on a European news YT channel believes the peak of the outbreak will hit in around 10 days. They seemed confident that most of world’s countries “infected” had a solid hold for the time being. They were worried if it spreads to countries with struggling medical reach.

Im guessing off the current indication that the virus has a 3% fatality rate (I believe), which is lower than SARS if I had seen the graphs shared correctly.

There is a question in my mind exactly how a death rate is calculated.. Obviously, in a disease that has run its course a few years ago one could presume the fatality rate is the number of deaths divided by the total infections.

However, in the case of this novel coronavirus, it can take many weeks or even months for a victim to deal with the symptoms before either recovering or expiring.

Of the first generation of 41 cases beginning in late November or early December of last year, 6 have died so far.

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Of the first generation of 41 cases beginning in late November or early December of last year, 6 have died so far.

(click to enlarge)

You're suggesting that it incubates/persists for months? The only statements from scientists I've seen suggest an average of 6 days incubation followed by 7 days of symptomatic suffering. By the end of that time patients are alive (98% so far) or dead (2% so far, all elderly or with preexisting respiratory conditions).

You seem keen to stew the figures to get a much higher death rate but the evidence is apparently against that.

Yea, this was my point. It's worse than flu, but not by so much that it needs to cause widespread panic.

You're suggesting that it incubates/persists for months? The only statements from scientists I've seen suggest an average of 6 days incubation followed by 7 days of symptomatic suffering. By the end of that time patients are alive (98% so far) or dead (2% so far, all elderly or with preexisting respiratory conditions).

You seem keen to stew the figures to get a much higher death rate but the evidence is apparently against that.

Agreed. I guess so far the indications are, worse than flu, better than SARS (or ebola).

Back