COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
2nd one scheduled for tomorrow.
Good luck with the vaccine, McLaren. Hopefully everything goes okay.

This is also for everyone else out there by the way. Sorry if i sounded rude a bit earlier. Just upset about the bad efforts down by the Local community and government.

Last edited:
Good luck with the vaccine, McLaren. Hopefully everything goes okay.

This is also for everyone else out there by the way. Sorry if i sounded rude a bit earlier. Just upset about the bad efforts down by the Local community and government.
Appreciate it. Curious how it'll go, as I've heard the 2nd shot can be a bit more of a kick, but I don't know if it's for all or just 1 of the vaccine suppliers; mine is Moderna.

Either way, as long as the side effects kick in on Sunday preferably. I have a small dinner to attend tomorrow evening after the shot.

Last edited:
Bummed to hear my county also announce they are beginning to wind down operations, though I assume that means the local stadium will stop being the main center to get out mass vaccinations & people can start hitting up the local pharmacies instead.

We're going through the same thing here right now. In a couple of weeks we're taking our hospital vaccination clinic down to 1 day a week and some of the outlying clinics to 2 days a week. There just isn't the demand to keep them open.

On one hand, I think it's a good sign because it means we vaccinated a ton of people rather quickly. On the other hand, we're not at heard immunity and the remaining 40 or so percent will not be easy to vaccinate. We've even resorted to walking around clinics and just asking people if they want to be vaccinated and at the end of the day, pretty much you can just show up without an appointment and they'll vaccinate you regardless if you're a patient in our health system or not.

We're getting ready to switch over to having primary care providers start doing the vaccines too, which means all the work I just got through with doing basically needs to be scrapped and restarted. I can't wait for that to happen.

We're also seeing our Johnson & Johnson doses not being used. The worst thing the government and the media did was latch onto the blood clots without explaining that anyone on birth control is actually at a higher risk. J & J might as well pack it in at this point. We can probably box those doses up and ship them to India where it's clear they need them.

Appreciate it. Curious how it'll go, as I've heard the 2nd shot can be a bit more of a kick, but I don't know if it's for all or just 1 of the vaccine suppliers; mine is Moderna.

Either way, as long as the side effects kick in on Sunday preferably. I have a small dinner to attend tomorrow evening after the shot.
My wife and I both got Moderna. The worst of it for me was a headache that I couldn't definitively link to getting stuck and a rather unpleasant physical contact with the stuck arm that was more the result of my lack of sure-footedness around the house than a particularly adverse reaction to the viral load. Sheila got it a little worse for her second dose and ended up with a low grade fever for the better part of a day following the injection and a more aggressive headache that ran concurrent with the temp increase. The first dose for both of us was just arm soreness.

My wife and I both got Moderna. The worst of it for me was a headache that I couldn't definitively link to getting stuck and a rather unpleasant physical contact with the stuck arm that was more the result of my lack of sure-footedness around the house than a particularly adverse reaction to the viral load. Sheila got it a little worse for her second dose and ended up with a low grade fever for the better part of a day following the injection and a more aggressive headache that ran concurrent with the temp increase. The first dose for both of us was just arm soreness.

My 2nd was one week ago and outside of the rough Sunday about the only lasting effect was I guess you could call hot flashes. For about 15 to 20 minutes each morning on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I would feel very hot but then it would go away. Wednesday morning was the last time that happened so I guess I might be in the clear.

TB
My son got his on the April 8th and the 22nd, 2 weeks.

Edit: I got mine on March 9th and April 6th, 4 weeks.

Guess we average out. :lol:

That's odd. I didn't even know they'd give it to you earlier than 3 weeks, let alone schedule it that way initially. This is the first I've heard of that.

Yuppers. I received the Pfizer vaccine.

I haven't known many people to get side effects after the 1st dose. 2nd dose though... different story. It's apparently the same dose, so it's all about how your body reacts differently.

Last edited:
I haven't known many people to get side effects after the 1st dose. 2nd dose though... different story. It's apparently the same dose, so it's all about how your body reacts differently
They are the same dose. You are more likely to get a reaction to the second one because yoir body recognises the virus proteins a lot quicker and starts to mount a response. I expect anyone who has had COVID to get a similar reaction to the first dose, as there are antibodies in their system from that.

We're going through the same thing here right now. In a couple of weeks we're taking our hospital vaccination clinic down to 1 day a week and some of the outlying clinics to 2 days a week. There just isn't the demand to keep them open.

On one hand, I think it's a good sign because it means we vaccinated a ton of people rather quickly. On the other hand, we're not at heard immunity and the remaining 40 or so percent will not be easy to vaccinate. We've even resorted to walking around clinics and just asking people if they want to be vaccinated and at the end of the day, pretty much you can just show up without an appointment and they'll vaccinate you regardless if you're a patient in our health system or not.

We're getting ready to switch over to having primary care providers start doing the vaccines too, which means all the work I just got through with doing basically needs to be scrapped and restarted. I can't wait for that to happen.

The herd immunity thing is hard to work out, in the sense that there's potentially a larger overlap between those who won't get vaccinated and those who have (or will have) had covid and gained some immunity that way, particularly in the young who are less at risk of serious illness.

If I'm running the numbers correctly, the US isn't doing too badly - 240m doses given, 100m fully vaccinated, so 40m more second doses will be taken up. And while the willingness to get vaccinated amongst those who haven't is only 36.1%, that still represents about 40m more adults taking the total to about 180m vaccinated... meaning about 72% of adults vaccinated (of 250m adults?).

We're also seeing our Johnson & Johnson doses not being used. The worst thing the government and the media did was latch onto the blood clots without explaining that anyone on birth control is actually at a higher risk. J & J might as well pack it in at this point.

Kinda the same with AstraZeneca in Europe but perhaps not as bad (clearly the US has plenty of Pfizer and Moderna, so can afford to be more fussy about it). France has only administered about 75% of the AZ doses it's got, some people refusing it, but also anecdotal reports of people under 55 requesting it (and being denied, since they've ruled against that). EU has made a massive further order for Pfizer and I think some of that will increase supplies almost immediately, which will undoubtedly increase the number of people who refuse AZ.

We can probably box those doses up and ship them to India where it's clear they need them.

Well, yes, but sadly it wouldn't go very far. At least the US is now allowing supplies of raw materials for AstraZeneca to be shipped to India, as that had been really holding up their local production. Should have allowed that weeks ago, TBH.

Clearly the US will have significant production going forward that won't be used in the US, the question will be where to send it - there are many countries still in need.

India has administered doses at a rate slightly higher than global average, about 11% (vs about 10%). So even if vaccine rollout had been perfectly equitable they would still be in the same position now.

Not easy decisions to make. Certainly not as easy as various recent articles accusing the west of hoarding make out.

Last edited:
They are the same dose. You are more likely to get a reaction to the second one because yoir body recognises the virus proteins a lot quicker and starts to mount a response. I expect anyone who has had COVID to get a similar reaction to the first dose, as there are antibodies in their system from that.
Isn't that what symptoms of an illness are anyway?

Isn't that what symptoms of an illness are anyway?
Pretty much. Fever, aches etc are signs your immune system is on the job. It gets to work harder when it knows what it is doing, rather than faffing around looking for the manual.

In the absence of a vaccination passport that my backwater podunk state of Alabama is never going to do, I thought about taking a picture of my completed vaccination card to have on my phone. Has anybody else done this?

So... you are all talking about being vaccinated...

Yeh, I guess we are very lucky to have access to a vaccine so quickly right now, but unless the world's richest countries can come up with a way of successfully vaccinating the entire globe in a timely fashion, it could well turn out be a short-lived benefit. The irony of India being the world's largest producer of vaccines is certainly not lost on me either.

(Incidentally, the Twitter handle contained a swear word hence I've added spoiler tags to your post.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh, I guess we are very lucky to have access to a vaccine so quickly right now, but unless the world's richest countries can come up with a way of successfully vaccinating the entire globe in a timely fashion, it could well turn out be a short-lived benefit. The irony of India being the world's largest producer of vaccines is certainly not lost on me either.

(Incidentally, the Twitter handle contained a swear word hence I've added spoiler tags to your post.)

Oh no, it's even worse than that... We have resources to pre order the vaccine.

The president straight up ignored or refused 11 offers from Pfizer and Sinovac-Butantan, and also neglected funds for vaccine development last year...

The current vaccines were only possible because of State funds and gubernatorial initiative. During that time he was propagating anti-vaxx conspiracies, fueled by anti-China xenophobia, claiming that if the vaccine "turn you into crocodiles" he couldn't do nothing because of the contracts. Attacking "mandatory" vaccination, falsely quoting that "not even 50% of population wants the vaccine", and attacking the Sinovac-Butantac vaccine, because it was being developed by São Paulo state Butantan Institute, since the Governor have presidential aspirations.
Now that the consequences started to backlash, he simply says that always supported vaccination, and claims that he bought vaccines (although keep attacking them when possible). But now we are at the end of the line...

It was not lack of funds. It was sabotage for political purpose, Adam Sutler 101.

Ow, and no problems about the "spoiler", my mistake :cheers:.

Last edited:
In the absence of a vaccination passport that my backwater podunk state of Alabama is never going to do, I thought about taking a picture of my completed vaccination card to have on my phone. Has anybody else done this?
Don't think they would accept that as being "official".

I have to travel for work in a couple weeks and am assuming I will have to take my card with me.

I have to travel for work in a couple weeks and am assuming I will have to take my card with me.

I'm also traveling in a couple of weeks but I'm driving. I'll certainly have my card with me but I didn't know if there would be a quicker way of showing you've been vaccinated.

I'm also traveling in a couple of weeks but I'm driving. I'll certainly have my card with me but I didn't know if there would be a quicker way of showing you've been vaccinated.
Driving shouldn't be necessary. I just did a 2900 mile round trip drive to Texas and back without needing it.

Oh no, it's even worse than that... We have resources to pre order the vaccine.

The president straight up ignored or refused 11 offers from Pfizer and Sinovac-Butantan, and also neglected funds for vaccine development last year...

The current vaccines were only possible because of State funds and gubernatorial initiative. During that time he was propagating anti-vaxx conspiracies, fueled by anti-China xenophobia, claiming that if the vaccine "turn you into crocodiles" he couldn't do nothing because of the contracts. Attacking "mandatory" vaccination, falsely quoting that "not even 50% of population wants the vaccine", and attacking the Sinovac-Butantac vaccine, because it was being developed by São Paulo state Butantan Institute, since the Governor have presidential aspirations.
Now that the consequences started to backlash, he simply says that always supported vaccination, and claims that he bought vaccines (although keep attacking them when possible). But now we are at the end of the line...

It was not lack of funds. It was sabotage for political purpose, Adam Sutler 101.

Ow, and no problems about the "spoiler", my mistake :cheers:.
Bolsonaro: “Trump is bad? Ha! Hold my beer!”

Seriously, stay safe Brazil, and hope they impeach this guy, although the damage has already been done.

As some places are not accepting those vaccine cards either.
As they are not "official"

So the best way is if you have a digital medical record is to print them off or request them there.

As I will be traveling here in a few months and I've already got the notification that "We will not accept proof of vaccine with the CDC card"
Per request of "It's easily forged"
Can get a stack of 10 from online and just write it in and say you are vaccinated.

I did, because I had a project coming up in Binghamton, New York and really didn't want to spend 14 extra days there in quarantine. I mean, there's that museum by I. M. Pei in Ithaca, but not that much else...

...due to the fluid nature of my work, that got canned and I was sent elsewhere. But we have a major backlog of work in the Empire State that makes me sure I'll be back eventually; our company gives us the option of yea/nay on a project that involves mandatory quarantine.

Last edited:
If I'm running the numbers correctly, the US isn't doing too badly - 240m doses given, 100m fully vaccinated, so 40m more second doses will be taken up. And while the willingness to get vaccinated amongst those who haven't is only 36.1%, that still represents about 40m more adults taking the total to about 180m vaccinated... meaning about 72% of adults vaccinated (of 250m adults?).

Ohhhhh...

US vaccine willingness NYTimes 20210503.png

NY Times - Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe.

That possibly depends a little on what definition of herd immunity one uses, and what scale of community one considers (i.e. city / state / nation), but there's some pretty large swathes there looking rather pale.

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way..."

Ohhhhh...

View attachment 1008646

NY Times - Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe.

That possibly depends a little on what definition of herd immunity one uses, and what scale of community one considers (i.e. city / state / nation), but there's some pretty large swathes there looking rather pale.

Way to go, North Dakota. :rolleyes:

- - - - -

Pfizer looks like it should be approved next week for 12-15 year olds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/us/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-teenagers.html

Ohhhhh...

View attachment 1008646

That's looking a bit...optimistic for Utah. Also, I can't believe that many people in both Utah and Washington counties said they're more likely to get the vaccine than not. Utah county is full of a bunch of essential oils will protect us people and Washington County is nothing but a bunch of Trump-loving, racist polygamists who think it's Fauxvid-19. Maybe the Mormon Church got through to people after all?

====

TB
Pfizer looks like it should be approved next week for 12-15 year olds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/us/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-teenagers.html

I haven't heard that yet, but that explains the two-hour meeting I have scheduled this morning. Fantastic news though and hopefully younger children are just around the corner. It'll be a huge win if we can get it approved for all school-aged kids since I believe that's the biggest hurdle left to getting kids back in the classroom. I know there will be a ton of resistance, but even having 50% of a classroom vaccinated will help immensely. It sounds like we should be seeing 5-11-year-olds be approved by the end of the year too, which is good since that's probably about the time the next generation of vaccines will be available to combat the variants.

That's looking a bit...optimistic for Utah. Also, I can't believe that many people in both Utah and Washington counties said they're more likely to get the vaccine than not. Utah county is full of a bunch of essential oils will protect us people and Washington County is nothing but a bunch of Trump-loving, racist polygamists who think it's Fauxvid-19. Maybe the Mormon Church got through to people after all?

Heh, it didn't escape my notice that Utah stood out as being (almost uniquely) different to a political map's colours! Possibly some mixture of Mormon Church influence and polling inaccuracy, but I see that 1.3m have had at least one dose out of about 2.24m adults giving about 58% so far (or a bit less once 16-18 yr olds are accounted for)... hopefully it reaches ~70% in the end.

Been Pfizered again. The county I live in has done remarkably well throughout the Pandemic (knocks on wood) and is approaching 65% fully vaccinated and 80+% with at least one dose. 260,000 people and only 8 active cases, only 4 new cases in the past 14 days, and zero deaths in the past 14 days. We should be going into CAs yellow tier today, fingers crossed, and life is almost feeling like it was pre-pandemic. I think the contributing factors were:

-25% of the population is over 65, so a lot of the county was vaccinated early
-Fairly low density
-It's a bedroom/family oriented community so probably less public mingling generally
-Politically mild environment - I saw only cooperative attitudes regarding lock downs and mask mandates...which I think genuinely helped
-Very high proportion of white collar workers who could more easily transition to work from home
-A lot of activity here is focused on outdoors (I mean, there's only a handful of bars in the whole county, and very few places are open beyond 8pm even in normal times)
-$$$ There's a ton of money here, and that always seems to help

Overall, if I had to ride out the pandemic in any place, Marin county, California would have ranked pretty high on the list so I feel pretty fortunate.

I'll be going back to work full time starting May 17 and I really hope future COVID disruptions will be milder, locally confined and more controllable.

Back