CPU/case cooling

• Thread starter TB
  • 8 comments

TB

Space Lord
United States
NoDak
Cy-Fi
My motherboard died and was replaced a while ago and all has been running fine until the kids recently started playing games on it. I first noticed how fast the CPU fan was crunching and fired up the temperature monitor - 88C. :ill: I have a Cooler Master heat sink in a push-pull configuration to replace the factory Intel ready to go in but I only have 2 fan headers on the new motherboard (the old one had, I think, 5 or 6) - one for the CPU and one for a case fan. Therein lies my question.

I've found splitters that will allow you to connect 2 fans to one header but I'm not sure I like that scenario from an undervoltage or overdraw perspective.

12-162-026-02.jpg

There are also adapters that allow fans to be wired to the Molex connector but, I assume, they would then always run at 100%, which I don't want.

12-423-166-01.jpg

And finally we have fan controllers. The most expensive of the bunch, especially if you want it to have temperature sensors to change fan speed as necessary. I know the picture below isn't one with temp sensing, just posted as an example.

11-992-012-01.jpg

With price in mind, which do you guys think is my best option to get both CPU fans and more than one of the case fans running?

You probably don't actually need to worry about adding fans, but knowing the spec of your system and the games they play when it gets hot would help. 88C on the CPU would make me think it's more likely to be a poorly-pasted CPU cooler than not having enough fans, but replacing the stock Intel cooler can only help and is a good idea anyway. Is the Cooler Master you refer to a Hyper 212 Evo (or something like that, I think there's a Plus in there too now)? Do you have any case fans at all?

Another option is a fan controller in a PCIe slot cover - they're so cheap my last case came with a free one. It needed a 4-pin Molex connected up for power, then you could connect three fans and adjust the speed of all of them with a knob on the back. I used to use it, I adjusted the fans until I couldn't hear them any more (because I couldn't really see much difference in temperature even when all the fans were at full speed) and left it alone.

Normally the fan headers can deliver up to 1.5A but this does depend on the model of motherboard.

The fans themselves normally draw around 150mA tops.
I would look into replacing the useless lump of aluminum intel provides with something better.

88C on the CPU would make me think it's more likely to be a poorly-pasted CPU cooler than not having enough fans
I had the same thought.
Is the Cooler Master you refer to a Hyper 212 Evo
It's a Cooler Master Hyper TX3.
Do you have any case fans at all?
I have 5 in the case (remnants from the old motherboard) but only 1 connected and running.
fan controller in a PCIe slot cover
Like the one in my first post?
I would look into replacing the useless lump of aluminum intel provides with something better.
I'm working on that as we... type.

I have two case fans connected to one header with a splitter, and haven't had any problems so far. It's been running like this for at least a month.

I have two case fans connected to one header with a splitter, and haven't had any problems so far. It's been running like this for at least a month.
Glad to hear that if I need to go that route that I can. 👍

I just played a game for a bit, exited and the temps were still right at 40C. Quite please with that. I think you were right about the thermal paste needing some help, @neema_t.

Back