CPU upgrade help needed.

• Thread starter Oovens
  • 4 comments

Oovens

(Banned)
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So i currently have an i3 4130 which actually is ok for smallish grids and hot lapping in AC, teamed with 1060 3gb.

So i have got hold of a i5 4570, so same socket 1150.
i need to know if i will need a bios update.
Current bios is called american mega trends 25/05/2015 version 2205.

Also as someone with no real PC build knowledge could i swap them over pretty simply?
Anything that i need to know? like could i ruin my PC?
cheers

It should work straight away without any bios updates. i3 4130 was released in september 2013, while i5 4570 was released in june 2013. So bios supporting the newer i3 4130 will support the i5 4570.

As said, because your upgrade was launched before the one your replacing it should be fine, but if you want to double check go to your motherboard manufacturers website and they will tell you which Bios versions support which processors.

Don't forget thermal paste and something to clean the old thermal paste off the cooler with. You might encounter resistance getting the old cooler off so be gentle but firm, don't yank and don't use tools to pry it off. Also ground yourself by touching something like a tap or radiator before touching the insides of the PC and avoid working on carpet, wearing nylon, working on a dry day and cats. Should be good.

Back