Crash Physics Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wrecked Exotic
  • 17 comments
  • 1,668 views
Messages
1
Messages
Myrmidon08
So I got online for the first time tonight and was racing in the Newbie section, and I am very confused about the physics the game uses for multiplayer car-car contact.


For some reason when I am setting up for a turn people can crash right into me, and make me skid across the road and into a 'short cut penalty area' and then pass me with impunity.

I have been rammed from the rear corner and gotten a 'ramming penalty' of 5 seconds, and again the striking vehicle seems to get away scott free.

Sometimes cars get 'ghostly'. I am guessing this means the crash physics have been turned off due to random behaviour. I see people doing crazy stuff just prior to a turn. Are they trying to gain a benefit?

Thanks in advance.
 
Welcome to the wacky world of GT5P online :lol: I think there's plenty of threads
about this already though, no doubt a mod will direct you to one :)
 
Crash physics are not existent in GT5:P, at least totally random thus always unrealistic ... Everybody ever watched a F1, WTCC- race or something similar knows this 👎
Unless PD gives us dedicated servers for online races it won't get any better im afraid ...
 
Please not another "online sucks because of punters" thread. We get it, we really do. It sucks.

Welcome to GTP. The search button is your friend.
 
Agreed, the collision physics seem very poor to me, akin to billiard ball collisions! When cornering, the change in momentum even from the slightest impact (fairly gentle bumps) shouldn't cause the car to skate off the track as if on ice.

Hopefully PD will amend this as I am sure they are aware of the issue.
 
I am not worried as this is only a PROLOGUE. It seems to me that the entire point of having a Prologue is to iron out all the issues before the real deal drops.
 
Please not another "online sucks because of punters" thread. We get it, we really do. It sucks.

Welcome to GTP. The search button is your friend.

This is a online sucks because of collision physics i.e. collision-mode , not punting in particular :)
As I said above unless PD gives us dedicated servers ... the game will never know where the cars really are on track because of limited bandwidths, resulting in rubbish, unrealistic Mario Cart like crash/ collision behaviour ...
This thread could be useful though , don't know lol :)
 
Worse is that the players using controllers definately have the advantage over wheel users right now when it comes to collisions. It's too hard to get the wheel over and in the right position to recover from a serious hit. PD, I hope, will change that come GT5.
 
Worse is that the players using controllers definately have the advantage over wheel users right now when it comes to collisions. It's too hard to get the wheel over and in the right position to recover from a serious hit. PD, I hope, will change that come GT5.

I agree with this. Ever since i've had my wheel, i really struggle to recover from being punted. I seems to take me ages to reverse and get back on track. Just seems to take a lot of steering input. With the controller it was simple as you can go from lock to lock in less then a tenth of a second.
 
I agree with this. Ever since i've had my wheel, i really struggle to recover from being punted. I seems to take me ages to reverse and get back on track. Just seems to take a lot of steering input. With the controller it was simple as you can go from lock to lock in less then a tenth of a second.

The negatives of 900 degrees of rotation, maybe buy a wheel with less rotation. Although this isn't to practical lol.

I think it would be nice If I could access reverse with the paddle and not actually have to use the triangle button.

I prefer the wheel over the controller. Going from lock to lock in a tenth of a second isn't very realistic.
 
The negatives of 900 degrees of rotation, maybe buy a wheel with less rotation. Although this isn't to practical lol.

I think it would be nice If I could access reverse with the paddle and not actually have to use the triangle button.

I prefer the wheel over the controller. Going from lock to lock in a tenth of a second isn't very realistic.

I prefer the wheel too, makes the whole thing a lot more immersive for me but it also means I have to learn to proper countersteer - nowhere near as easy as flicking a little stick but much more rewarding when you get it right.
 
I prefer the wheel over the controller. Going from lock to lock in a tenth of a second isn't very realistic.

Why does almost every topic end up in how ubercool a wheel is?
The collision physics have nothing to do with the type of controller you use...
BTW you cannot go from lock to lock in a tenth of a second in GT5:P, no matter what control inputs you use !
.............:rolleyes:
 
you cannot go from lock to lock in a tenth of a second in GT5:P, no matter what control inputs you use !
.............:rolleyes:

Yeah, watch the steering input display on screen - your car doesn't turn it's wheels any quicker than it does by not using a wheel when going lock to lock.
 
Yeah, watch the steering input display on screen - your car doesn't turn it's wheels any quicker than it does by not using a wheel when going lock to lock.

Yeah that's fair enough. What i actually meant was i can control slides and spins easier because less physical input is needed to turn the wheels quicker with the controller.

I appreciate it might not reflect that in game, but IMO, playing with the pad just allows me to turn the wheels quicker or at least it feels like it does. I can rescue a slide/ spin easier with the pad.

Although having said all that, since my last post, i've got a lot more practice in with the wheel and can now rescue any hairy moments a bit easier.:)
 
Yeah that's fair enough. What i actually meant was i can control slides and spins easier because less physical input is needed to turn the wheels quicker with the controller.

I appreciate it might not reflect that in game, but IMO, playing with the pad just allows me to turn the wheels quicker or at least it feels like it does. I can rescue a slide/ spin easier with the pad.

Although having said all that, since my last post, i've got a lot more practice in with the wheel and can now rescue any hairy moments a bit easier.:)

I'm slowly getting there. Here's a question for the experts - is there a way to do it without having to back off the throttle? I may be imagining it but I've noticed some drivers seem to just flick it across then back and it corrects. Can someone explain this for me once and for all?
 
every issue that we have with this game they are fully aware of. Unless they have lost their eyes in a horrible PD accident, there is no way they dont already know whats wrong and what isnt. So peoplet that complain why it isnt fixed already need to understand that this is not even close to being a full game. So stop waisting your time by posting threads like this.
 
Wow,I can sense there may be some strong feelings on these issues.:nervous:
 
I'm slowly getting there. Here's a question for the experts - is there a way to do it without having to back off the throttle? I may be imagining it but I've noticed some drivers seem to just flick it across then back and it corrects. Can someone explain this for me once and for all?



Can't fully explain it 'cause I'm still learning it too, and as it seems every slide/back end step out is different. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the whole 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction' thing plays a big part - however much energy is taking the car into a spin you need to put back the other way, which I find usually means being VERY quick to flick the wheel across to the other direction. I usually do it instinctively one handed, then return the left hand for stability.

As for not backing off, I seem to find backing off just as bad for ending up in a spin. If you can feel the wheel pull, it seems you need to catch it quick enough and it will right itself without needing to release any acceleration.
 
Back