Crash!

Messages
9,899
Problem: Whenever I start Microsoft NetMeeting (comes with MSN messenger) and I am surfing the net at the same time my computer will automatically just shut itself off, almost like the power flashed. It has happened 2 times to me, both while i was reading the Metroid prime review on IGN.com. I dont know what is happening and I was wondering if any of you would know.
 
i'm not sure, but i have to compliment you on your title that goes with your avatar:lol::thumbsup:
 
Are you running Windows XP?

In XP, there is an option that allows the computer to restart automatically when there is a system error. Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery and click on Settings.
 
2000

it did it to me again

im just trying to get my webcam to go and it just shuts off, no warning
 
2000 might have the same option. See if it works.
 
thats exactly what it is...but what is a system failure and why would it have to restart
 
Check out Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. It shows any program that created an error and it displays an Event ID number. With that number, you can search the net for it to see if anyone else out there has the same problem and a solution.
 
Originally posted by Viper Zero
Check out Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. It shows any program that created an error and it displays an Event ID number. With that number, you can search the net for it to see if anyone else out there has the same problem and a solution.

Yep, this is good advice. You'll need to become acquainted with Microsoft's Support Site.

Very few things will cause Win2K to auto-reboot like that. I'm getting the problem on a server at work, but I think that's to do with malformed input data. It sounds like there is a driver issue with your webcam. Are you able to use any other apps to operate the webcam? Try them first, to see if it's a driver fault.
 
i dont have a webcam, a girl was using it and i have to be in the netthingy for it to work
she was sending video to me
 
Oh right, I read in another thread that you were getting one...

You want to follow Viper Zero's advice.
 
On your start bar, go to your accessories folder, click system tools, then System information.
Check Hardware Resources, then Conflicts/sharing. See what is conflicting with your Ethernet (or USB) I'm willing to bet it is a multimedia controller of some sort or another.
Either that, or you just added another HD or CD-Rom (Or anything really) and your Power Supply can't handle the extra load. You symptoms could be caused by either of these things (among other things, but these account for it 95% of the time.)
I'm betting on IRQ issues.
 
Yeah, and then send us the video.

heh...j/k. ;)
 
Back