Crazy big update that takes 6 hours to install!

• Thread starter Massig
  • 8 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I have not played GT6 for a little while. When I tried to play today it launched a MEGA update! It took 6 hours!!!!!!!!!!!! 6 Hours to download on a 10Mb/s broadband connection... it then went on for another 3 hours to install it ... and then crashed!!

I started trying to play yesterday afternoon and 24 hours later I still not managed to play!

1) Why on earth can't i play with the original file without the INSANE update? Why don't you give me the option!
2) What are the developers thinking - it is not OK to create updates which seem bigger than the game itself on the DVD

This is the most ridiculous, bad and moronic process I have ever seen ever!

I have not played GT6 for a little while. When I tried to play today it launched a MEGA update! It took 6 hours!!!!!!!!!!!! 6 Hours to download on a 10Mb/s broadband connection...
That's not going to be just one update.

6 hours at 10 megabits per second is 26Gb of data. There is no single update of that size - or even close to it. I'm not even sure that all of them comes to that amount.

Was something else eating your bandwidth at that time? Does your ISP habitually throttle your connection? Was PSN being a bit slow - it can happen over holiday periods when lots of people get new consoles?
1) Why on earth can't i play with the original file without the INSANE update? Why don't you give me the option!
You can. Press the Circle button to cancel the update.
2) What are the developers thinking - it is not OK to create updates which seem bigger than the game itself on the DVD
They haven't. The game is in the order of tens of gigabytes (and on BD) and the biggest single update is just over 2Gb (1.10).

The last few updates have been:
December 2015 - 1.22 - 35Mb
September 2015 - 1.21 - 185Mb
June 2015 - 1.20 - 311Mb
June 2015 - 1.19 - 270Mb
April 2015 - 1.18 - 206Mb
March 2015 - 1.17 - 397Mb
February 2015 - 1.16 - 536Mb

So if your "little while" has been "the entire of 2015" you have 1.89Gb of updates. At 10Mbps, that's less than half an hour...

Last edited:
Hi,
thanks for your reply...
My Internet seems fine ... although the download took a long time the installation took forever and crashed. I then had to remove the entire game ... and it then started to install 21 Updates ... many in the 2GB size ... and then install them all... What I don't have an option of is playing the game with no updates - ie as per disc. Surely that should be a possibility. If I cancel the updeate - it just won't let me play.

Sometimes its the servers that's causing the slow download. I think you can play without updating by playing GT6 offline. Meaning don't connect your PS3 to internet to bypass the auto update.

My Internet seems fine ... although the download took a long time the installation took forever and crashed. I then had to remove the entire game ... and it then started to install 21 Updates ... many in the 2GB size ... and then install them all...
There's only one 2Gb update - v1.10 at 2.1Gb. There's only four in total over 1Gb, including the first two (1.2Gb each) and the 1.4Gb update for the Senna content (v1.08).

The total of all updates is 11.49Gb.

However, as per PD's advice, you should never download and install them all at once. Let the update download and install one, then head into the game by cancelling the next update. It will install that to the game (it's important to note that there's three stages - download, install to console and install to game; the first two are done in the XMB, the third in the game itself) and start with that update. Save, quit and do the next update.
What I don't have an option of is playing the game with no updates - ie as per disc. Surely that should be a possibility. If I cancel the updeate - it just won't let me play.
I have a console right here that doesn't have v1.22 yet.

I just booted it up and started GT6. It said it had found the latest update (v1.22) and wants to install it. I pressed circle to cancel and it started the game up. It then tried to sign me into PSN, which I also cancelled. I am now playing GT6 on v1.21 on this console.

Yup. What the others said. I myself was caught in the same dilemma having bought GT6 just about a month ago. Of course it came with the base version prior to the updates. I loaded it in my then "Fat" ps3 (the first ps3 console, an 80GB ps3). A message came up saying I needed to update (and/or couldn't proceed I think). Started the updating process but just when I thought everything was going alright the ps3 froze and it was "bricked". No matter what I did I could not get back to the home screen. It was just black. Long story short I had to buy a new ps3 (the 3rd generation slide top one) because I so wanted to play the game.

Loaded the GT6 disc into the new ps3 and of course the notification requiring updates came up. Somehow I didn't realise there were so many updates to be installed, although it may have said so. It did take quite a few hours well. The good thing though is that I made sure to have my internet connection to the console via wired connection instead of via Wi-Fi (Wired is faster).

Long story short again is that I just let it do its thing until it was finished updating and installing all updates. I'm glad I did though because eventually it was completed and I was then able to enjoy the game with the latest updates installed. I've been literally addicted ever since playing every single day for hours on end.

If it had occurred to me at the time though that I could have installed one or two updates at the time, then others after bit by bit, I MAY have done so instead.

In any case it helps to have (1) a fast internet speed and (2) Be connected via wired connection, at least for the multitude updates. Once you've updated most or all, following updates should not be a problem as long as you update as they become available to keep toped up as they are then incremental.

You can have the fastest internet connection in the world but if Sony's servers are pushing out updates like its constipated then its not going to matter.

I doubt very much they put out "that many updates". The problem is if a user just buys the game which comes with a pretty early version and then has to update after multiple versions would have come out during the course of time, or if a user is not frequently using the game, missed some updates well or doesn't update as they come along. Then of course you're left with having to install multiples instead of incremental which should be no problem.

I'm getting 75mbps internet upgrade before I do a reinstall. If the updates take a day or so, at least I know it's not me.

That's not going to be just one update.

6 hours at 10 megabits per second is 26Gb of data. There is no single update of that size - or even close to it. I'm not even sure that all of them comes to that amount.

Was something else eating your bandwidth at that time? Does your ISP habitually throttle your connection? Was PSN being a bit slow - it can happen over holiday periods when lots of people get new consoles?You can. Press the Circle button to cancel the update.They haven't. The game is in the order of tens of gigabytes (and on BD) and the biggest single update is just over 2Gb (1.10).

The last few updates have been:
December 2015 - 1.22 - 35Mb
September 2015 - 1.21 - 185Mb
June 2015 - 1.20 - 311Mb
June 2015 - 1.19 - 270Mb
April 2015 - 1.18 - 206Mb
March 2015 - 1.17 - 397Mb
February 2015 - 1.16 - 536Mb

So if your "little while" has been "the entire of 2015" you have 1.89Gb of updates. At 10Mbps, that's less than half an hour...

One could only hope!

Back