Crazy steering or am I doing something stupid

Australia
Australia
Hey guys, growing up I played an absolute obscene amount of GT2 to the point i remember having top 3 times on different tracks etc when I looked online etc and just utterly loved the game.

I bought and modded a ps1 classic the other day and loaded gt2 onto it.
I am having an ok time playing it and am winning races and doing as intended but for the life of me dont remember having such a hard time
trying to keep the car straight.
I tried using a dual shock controller and its even worse steering feels on or off.
Getting all gold in the licenses has been very testing as i am zig zagging to the finish line etc.
Is this just how it always was and i just forgot or is there something I am doing wrong.
Thanks

In theory that's as the game was. I'd say you just lost the touch?
GT2 has pretty big deadzones, although it shouldn't be on/off. Hopefully the emulator in the PSC is properly using dualshock mode rather than duplicating D-pad behavior to the joystick.

Thats a good point I'd say I've definitely lost a bit of touch as i played gt3 for decades.
I noticed in the options menu when i go to change controls theres no analogue settings or anything even with ds2 plugged in.

I will explore the in built emulator some more.

"I noticed in the options menu when i go to change controls theres no analogue settings or anything even with ds2 plugged in."
This tells me your emu is using digital input still. I don't know how the psc emu works but usually it's a keyboard key than can toggle the analog mode, and back when i was using epsxe, although it's not the same base psc is using, i had to set the input in controller plugin to dual analog or dualshock so that the emulator knew that the analog toggle did something.

"I noticed in the options menu when i go to change controls theres no analogue settings or anything even with ds2 plugged in."
This tells me your emu is using digital input still. I don't know how the psc emu works but usually it's a keyboard key than can toggle the analog mode, and back when i was using epsxe, although it's not the same base psc is using, i had to set the input in controller plugin to dual analog or dualshock so that the emulator knew that the analog toggle did something.
yeah that rings a bell f5 or something, i have been trawling google for info about project eris and dual shocks and find nothing. Heaps of people mention that the 8bitdo adapter works with ps4 controller so i will try that or see if it just replicates the issue wirelessly.
I believe with project eris you can change the emulator it uses to boot from the menu so that might be the next action.

I want to sink some after work hours into it and get more comfortable before i get too used to the terrible controls currently.
With the stock ps1 controller with no joy sticks its very difficult to play, also because the cord is so short.

On license tests there's not much you can do. For your own cars though, buy the custom suspension and set the ride height low and the stabilizers very high, and the custom LSD and set it to 1 / 1 / 1 or higher. Should help prevent twitchiness with small steering movements.

I feel like GT2's physics exaggerated weight transfer much more than GT3, which is why that game feels 'heavier' and probably why you're having trouble adjusting. It makes some license tests pretty awful due to how cars fling themselves into corners. Thankfully the game does give you control over it with tuning though.

Last edited:
Back