CRB Ruling

• Thread starter SouL
  • 10 comments
They ruled in favor of BAR.

Looks like Buttons will be driving for BAR next year. That, or not race at all.
Thoughts on the decision?

From what I've heard (from the commentators during the Japanese GP) Button had no right to switch teams for next season. There was a clause in his contract that if BAR did not secure a deal with Honda before a certain date... then he would be free to leave BAR and join another team. Supposedly his management found a document they believed to be related to the BAR/Honda contract and assumed that no deal had been made... so they went on and looked at a different team. But the documents they found was related to something entirely different.

Davidson is probably a bit dissapointed at the ruling. He is supposedly Richard's top pick to replace Button.

What I don't get is why BAR wants to keep a driver who obviously doesn't want to drive there car.

Button lost alot of fans, including myself, with his turn coat move. This whole thing has been pathetic.

How can you say Button lost all of my respect.If you were in his shoes, wouldn't you have done the same thing?Well?
He attempted to join a better team,nothing wrong with that.That's the only way to greatness.Him and Webber would have ruled so much.I was kind off looking forward to seeing him in a Williams.It would have helped his career.Sure BAR is doing great at the moment but it is not a win capable car.Simple as that.

BAR is holding Button back!

BBC News
Button seems to be happy and willing (if only because he simply wants to race regardless) to be at BAR in 2005 and BAR seems to be happy to have him.

Though it is true BAR have yet to win a race, they have come much closer than Williams this season. It will be interesting to see how BAR and Williams fare next year!

I think BAR will continue to be strong. I wouldn't be surprised if Button is able to bag the same number of podium finishes he's had this year next year. I hope Sato does a little better. They seem to have solved his engine problems so he should be able to finish in the points more often and possibly a few podiums here and there.

BAR is a bit like Benetton during the McLaren/Williams dominance. They're able to put the car near the front.. but always short of taking the win. With a few more years under their belt and continuous growth (and the Ferarri decline) BAR could see a string of championship seasons.

It wasnt so much Buttons desire to move, as much as the way he conducted himself that lost any support he had from me.

DC must be happy.

I was thinking that Jenson wouldn't mind the whole thing, he at heart is after winning races, not money or revenge or anything like that, I'm sure he'll race with whatever he's got to the best of his abilities.

GTChamp2003
He attempted to join a better team,nothing wrong with that.

What are you talking about? BAR had a much better package this season, and I don't think it will be any different next season. Button came third in the championship behind the two Ferrari drivers. How is he being held back? The only team at the moment that he could move to, to improve his chances is Ferrari. When Montoya was asked about this whole fiasco he said somethig along the lines of "I have no idea why he wants to come back to Williams, BAR is much better, I'm off to McLaren, see ya"!! Montoya and R Shumacher are two of the best racers in the sport and they are both leaving williams. Doesn't say much for the team now does it? Webber is going there because he is at Jaguar and..... well...... ANYONE is better than Jag :lol:

Button should stay at BAR for at least three years IMO, it doesn't help to change teams often. The cars are very different and take some getting used to when you switch teams. Button would not do well in his first season at Williams. I think he would struggle to get in the points.

GTChamp2003
How can you say Button lost all of my respect.If you were in his shoes, wouldn't you have done the same thing?Well?
He attempted to join a better team,nothing wrong with that.That's the only way to greatness.Him and Webber would have ruled so much.I was kind off looking forward to seeing him in a Williams.It would have helped his career.Sure BAR is doing great at the moment but it is not a win capable car.Simple as that.

If I was Button, the last place I'd want to go is Williams. I just don't see them producing a race winning car in the next few years. Then again I've never thought much of Williams in general.

I don't see BAR repeating the same level of results next year as it did this year, though i definately think they are a worthy top 4 team...but with the new rules who knows, everyone sorta needs to start from a blank page again.

I've never been as impressed with Webber as everyone else is, I'll wait and see what he does next year. As far as Webber/Button "ruling it so much" I doubt it. The JPM/Kimi matchup will "rule it so much" next year, especially if McLaren can put a decent car on the grid.

I know F1 drivers are always trying to better their position...but this whole Williams/Button thing stank from the start. Button lost alot of respect from many fans and from what I read some people in the pitlane.

What are you talking about? BAR had a much better package this season, and I don't think it will be any different next season. Button came third in the championship behind the two Ferrari drivers. How is he being held back? The only team at the moment that he could move to, to improve his chances is Ferrari.
That is exactly what my thoughts are on this.

Yeah sure they had a better package this year.I don't know what has happend at BMW Williams but i'm sure they'll be back in front next year.Don't get me wrong,i respect the BAR team for what they have achieved but Jenson Button(or Sato) will never be able to win a race in a BAR Honda.Just because Williams had a bad season this year doesn't instantly mean that BAR is a better team.All i'm saying is that Button would stand a better chance at winning in a BMW Williams then in a BAR Honda.Sure it might not be the case this year but next year i think it will be a whole different story.
I also expect much from McLaren next year.If they can keep that engine in one peice then they are sure to win a few races.

Back