Creative People "What is the Best software"?

United States
Colorado
I was wondering what is the best software to use when making SVG Decals/Logos? I know that there are a few that cost some money and Inkscape is the only 100%
free. I use Inkscape but really just learning and one thing I don't like is the default colors. I don't know if it's possible to add other colors to it or not but it's free. And which ones are the easiest to learn.

garystevens64

What do you call « default colours »? The interface, or the colours for the decals ? Because Inkscape allows you to chose every colour, in RGB, HSV, ...

The default colors are the one's that a already there but I wanted to know if its possible to add other colors. The are tons of other colors that aren't there. Like the color yellow, I think there's only a few to chose from with Inkscape. When there are so many other yellow's & red's colors I would like to have.

garystevens834

ur4-jpg.763802

With these sliders, and the other options (HSL, CMYK etc.,) you can make any colour you like.

(Ignore the circle in this instance.)

Also

inkscape2-png.745905

You can also use the colours along the bottom, which scrolls to give you even more options.

I was wondering what is the best software to use when making SVG Decals/Logos? I know that there are a few that cost some money and Inkscape is the only 100%
free. I use Inkscape but really just learning and one thing I don't like is the default colors. I don't know if it's possible to add other colors to it or not but it's free. And which ones are the easiest to learn.

garystevens64

The theory behind them all is the same, and effectively you'll only be using mostly the same tools and functions in each application. The main difference you'll find, is where those tools and functions are on the menus and toolbars. There are some differences of course, but you'll get 90% of where you want to be in any of them.

The likes of illustrator appears to be incredibly top heavy, Affinity seems simple enough, inkscape is a bit of a mess in my opinion, and the only other one I've used is CorelDrawX3, which is 12 years old, and looks it...

... but basically, whichever one you get used to first is the one to stick with in my opinion.

I’ve fallen in love with Affinity. It’s very simple, and extremely easy to use.

Wish I had more to say to say why I like it, but I’m too tired to.

The one thing that I'm looking at are the details. I've seen some decals/logos that look amazing with the clarity, colors and details. Some of them I can't figure out how they can get them to upload. I have trouble with one's (decal) that have one or two colors in them to upload. I google Affinity and there are 3 different one's. Is the one I want called Affinity Designer?

garystevens834

The one thing that I'm looking at are the details. I've seen some decals/logos that look amazing with the clarity, colors and details. Some of them I can't figure out how they can get them to upload. I have trouble with one's (decal) that have one or two colors in them to upload.

garystevens834

They will all provide the same level of vibrance, colour, sharpness and detail, and broadly speaking they will all do so at the same file size - especially if a tool such as SVGOMG is used afterwards.

The reason for any difference in finished decal, is the skill, ability and experience of the person creating it, and since we don't live in the matrix, you can't download that!

edit: If you give me and Gerhard Richter the same paintbrush, you ain't gonna get the same results. If you give me and Alys Tomlinson the same camera, you ain't gonna get the same photos!

Last edited:
The one thing that I'm looking at are the details. I've seen some decals/logos that look amazing with the clarity, colors and details. Some of them I can't figure out how they can get them to upload. I have trouble with one's (decal) that have one or two colors in them to upload. I google Affinity and there are 3 different one's. Is the one I want called Affinity Designer?

garystevens834
Yes, Designer is the Affinity that's best for this kind of work. As it is the vector based program you need.

But like Matt says above, all programs do the same. It all boils down to how well you do it. Take some time and learn the basics, like how to do bezier curves etc. The one linked is very useful.

- But if you're into making gradients then maybe Affinity Designer isn't your friend. I still haven't figured out how to, so I steer clear of gradient decals. In all other areas though, I think it shines. But then again I haven't field tested any other app except Illustrator.

Back