Credits - simulation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmwisme
  • 24 comments
  • 1,800 views
Messages
268
United States
Germantown, WI USA
Messages
bmw2sq
Here we have a racing "game" that claims to be a simulator. Where is the simulation in the purchasing system?

$250 for an oil change, $35,000 for racing tires...

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a lot of the aspects of GT5 but the purchasing system speaks "game" all the way. In the case of the racing softs, if the developers wanted to discourage their use, just limit the advantage by increasing the competition. They could have easily limited the rewards and make the purchasing system more real-world.

Very small rant!
 
Because it is a game despite any claims otherwise. It's a game with pretty realistic physics. If you want a full on "sim" buy a PC and enjoy. I really don't think the console market would support such a game unfortunately.

edit: perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you were complaining about the inclusion of credits at all.
 
Last edited:
The game uses credits, not cash, but I have noticed that the prices are pretty close (usually a little higher) when it comes to the cost of cars.
 
If there was real pricing no-one would buy half the cars as all the luxury manufacturers are stubborn idiots that overprice their cars and everyone would have a GTR..
 
Seen threads like this before here. Conclusion we are all well payed racing drivers. So we pay abit extra for good service:) We can get 100.000 in 5 min:D
 
You are half wrong. The oil change is done with racing oil, which costs a lot.
On the other side, paying 35000Cr for UNLIMITED tires is too CHEAP.
 
The game uses credits, not cash, but I have noticed that the prices are pretty close (usually a little higher) when it comes to the cost of cars.

Compared to what? US car prices? Car pricing is a little different over here.

Edit:

Comparison (Euro prices converted to USD) - BMW M3 Coupe

GT5: 92,400 credits
Germany: 90,830 USD
Netherlands: 150,080 USD
USA: 59,000 USD

Conclusions...
- Credits are close to equivalent German car prices when converted to dollars
- I envy how incredibly cheap cars are in the US :)
 
Last edited:
I agree with the "credits" required for purchasing cars - but that is the only place where some realism exist - until you go to sell it! I purchased a Corvette ZR1 for $184K but after 20 miles can only sell for $55k. I understand depreciation but this is ridiculous. Getting the physics and track layout right is a very tough job but it would have taken very little effort to design a somewhat accurate purchasing system.

I shouldn't be "playing games" at my age so if I can say it is a "simulator" makes it seem like a more grown-up activity! I know it's a "game"... had nothing better to rant about today.
 
The game is -at best- a "driving simulator", not a "real life simulator" - to think otherwise is to take the game (and its claims) too literally.

In real life, there are taxes, car import fees, racing contracts, off-season testing, etc... you could list a million things that aren't modeled correctly (or at all) from a financial perspective. The game just isn't that all-encompassing, so take it for what it is, which is good enough IMO.
 
Sorry, double post...
 
Last edited:
>The game is -at best- a "driving simulator", not a "real life simulator" - to think otherwise is to take the game (and its claims) too literally.

I fully understand... a little attention to detail just makes a good "game" better.
 
Here we have a racing "game" that claims to be a simulator. Where is the simulation in the purchasing system?

$250 for an oil change, $35,000 for racing tires...

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a lot of the aspects of GT5 but the purchasing system speaks "game" all the way. In the case of the racing softs, if the developers wanted to discourage their use, just limit the advantage by increasing the competition. They could have easily limited the rewards and make the purchasing system more real-world.

Very small rant!

then by your logic you wouldn't mind paying for high octane gas that is currently free?!
 
The credits aren't even realistic... a Lamborghini Miura similar to the one in game sold for $1.7 Million, not 17million.

http://www.girlracer.co.uk/motorspo...-miura-sv-prototype-sells-for-17-million.html

and one identical is listed at around $250,000
http://www.motorbase.com/auctionlot/by-id/747822769

At least some of the other cars bear a resemblance to their real world prices...

It isn't correct. The first auction refers to the 1971 Miura SV proto, which is the 3rd edition of the car. The second auction refers to a P400 (474 built) upgraded with SV components. You may note that the car in GT5 is actually the 1967 P400 Prototype, 5 built between 1966 and 1967. It's a lighter car than the others, even if it's said that the first 150 Miura were lighter as it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Miura

and here is our CN0706, it seems never sold by its original aquirent
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4789/Lamborghini-Miura-P400-Prototipo.html

Compared to what? US car prices? Car pricing is a little different over here.

Edit:

Comparison (Euro prices converted to USD) - BMW M3 Coupe

GT5: 92,400 credits
Germany: 90,830 USD
Netherlands: 150,080 USD
USA: 59,000 USD

Conclusions...
- Credits are close to equivalent German car prices when converted to dollars
- I envy how incredibly cheap cars are in the US :)

I don't wonder if Japan price is closer 👍
 
I think that the lack of tyre wear/options is the let down of this game, not the credits.

Really couldn't care less about the credits.
 
>I think that the lack of tyre wear/options is the let down of this game, not the credits.

Good point, I agree, tire wear would make sense. I would like say 5K credits for racing softs but with a limited life span - 2-3 races.
 
As far as tires, look at it this way: you get the tires for the life of the car.

Doing a quick google look, race slicks run about $250 per tire, or $1000 per set. How many tire changes do you go through in one endurance race? I'd say, if you looked at all the tires you bought on all your cars, you may end up at somewhere close to $35,000 worth of tires per car.
 
They use credits for a reason,
If an installment of GT is fairly difficult, (terms of a.i, races, licenses, etc)
They can lower the cost of things without seeming unrealistic. (Since they're not using actually money)
This goes vis versa, if an installment is fairly easy, they can do the opposite.
 
GT5 is so unrealistic! They don't even force you to feed your B-Spec Drivers or give them bathroom breaks.

We should all just burn our discs. :rolleyes:
 
Here we have a racing "game" that claims to be a simulator. Where is the simulation in the purchasing system?

$250 for an oil change, $35,000 for racing tires...

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a lot of the aspects of GT5 but the purchasing system speaks "game" all the way. In the case of the racing softs, if the developers wanted to discourage their use, just limit the advantage by increasing the competition. They could have easily limited the rewards and make the purchasing system more real-world.

Very small rant!

just dupe tuning parts you´ll never lost credits @ tuning (only oil change)^^:dopey:

or just grind... i dont think any profi racer do races min after min xD
 
35.000 credit for unlimited racing soft tires. That is incredibly cheap i will say. You can also get nearly 100.000 in 5 minutes which is just not possible in real life. It is just to balance the game. GT5 don't claim to be a real life simulator, just a racing simulator. In what world can you travel from Japan to USA in 30 seconds? Then do a race, crash your car and then get back and suddenly it is fixed.
It is still a game. Not an attempt to re create real life.
 
Wow, first everyone is complaining about how you have to "grind" for the cars you want because they are too expensive, or something like that, now people are saying you get too MUCH money? and that thinsg are too cheap? I give up...
 
Just replace all of the values with Japanese Yen:
Oil change= 250¥ = 3.03$
Racing softs= 36000¥ = 436.30$
And you have a (somewhat) reasonable system.

The game was designed in Japan, so they based it off of their native currency.

*Issue: 20,000,000¥= 242,615.39$
 
Last edited:
brambos
Compared to what? US car prices? Car pricing is a little different over here.

Edit:

Comparison (Euro prices converted to USD) - BMW M3 Coupe

GT5: 92,400 credits
Germany: 90,830 USD
Netherlands: 150,080 USD
USA: 59,000 USD

Conclusions...
- Credits are close to equivalent German car prices when converted to dollars
- I envy how incredibly cheap cars are in the US :)

In Brazil a m3 cost like 200.000USD
Almost everything is expensive in Brazil
 
It isn't correct. The first auction refers to the 1971 Miura SV proto, which is the 3rd edition of the car. The second auction refers to a P400 (474 built) upgraded with SV components. You may note that the car in GT5 is actually the 1967 P400 Prototype, 5 built between 1966 and 1967. It's a lighter car than the others, even if it's said that the first 150 Miura were lighter as it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Miura

and here is our CN0706, it seems never sold by its original aquirent
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4789/Lamborghini-Miura-P400-Prototipo.html

Ahhh... Yeah I couldn't find any auction stats on the Bertone prototype so I assumed it was the same as the standard P400.
 
Back