Cross-Racial Casting

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 82 comments
I wonder how many people know who the voice actors are behind Kratos in GoW....

I'd especially like to know the thoughts of those who have an objection to Angrboda when they see those voice actors.

Like, is it only a visual thing?

I wonder how many people know who the voice actors are behind Kratos in GoW....

I'd especially like to know the thoughts of those who have an objection to Angrboda when they see those voice actors.

Like, is it only a visual thing?
It must be. James Earl Jones has been doing Vader for a long time, despite Vader being a white guy.

The real question is when it comes out and is a horrendous piece of trash like all of these have been since they started doing them,
The Velma cartoon has made an earth-shattering kaboom in this thread.

Going back to my OP in this thread about said cartoon:

Hey look, another reboot/remake!
Hey look, a racial lift of an existing character instead of an original one!

2/2

Last edited:
The Velma cartoon is like the perfect example of what not to do. They changed everyone not just so they could write jokes about them but the absolute worst, low effort, jokes at that.

The rest of the show’s writing is garbage as well. They could keep everyone as they originally were and it’d still be awful.

I do get annoyed when they take historical characters though and change their race or gender (I'm looking at you Hamilton). There are stories to be told that feature every race and culture, pick one if you wish to cast certain actors for those roles.
That misses the entire point of Hamilton.

That misses the entire point of Hamilton.
Isn't the point of Hamilton to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton and how certain events affected his life? I don't know, I thought it was god-awful when I watched it and not because of the casting, but because it just wasn't something I enjoyed so maybe I did miss the point.

Isn't the point of Hamilton to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton and how certain events affected his life? I don't know, I thought it was god-awful when I watched it and not because of the casting, but because it just wasn't something I enjoyed so maybe I did miss the point.

If you finished it you made it farther than I did.

Last edited:
No. It's to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton through the lens of modern America and Americans, thus the mixed casting and hip hop storytelling which of course is the most popular music genre and lifestyle culture today. If you don't partake in that culture then you're truly a minority in modern America, no matter your ethnic background. Get with the times, old man.

Last edited:
If you don't partake in that culture then you're truly a minority in modern America, no matter your ethnic background. Get with the times, old man.

gets out notepad "Keef does not think one is entitled to one's opinion about Hamilton".

Last edited:
If you finished it you made it farther than I did.
I barely finished it and it was bad. But I don't know if that's because I was watching a stage production on TV or if I just hated it because it wasn't even the least bit interesting to me. Unfortunately, I won't ever know because there is precisely a 0% chance that I spend money to see the stage version of it.
No. It's to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton through the lens of modern America and Americans, thus the mixed casting and hip hop storytelling which of course is the most popular music genre and lifestyle culture today. If you don't partake in that culture then you're truly a minority in modern America, no matter your ethnic background. Get with the times, old man.
Even looking at it through the lens of modern America, it still doesn't make sense to me. I believe historical stories should be told as factually as possible, especially in a world where making things up on the fly is commonplace. I don't care if you make a hip-hop version of history, but don't portray real people as something they weren't and make the hip-hop songs factual.

And don't get me wrong, I like hip-hop and rap music quite a bit. I'm just not into most of the mass-market modern stuff though. Rappers like Nicki Minaj, Drake, and pretty much anyone on Soundcloud are terrible in my opinion. But you have guys like J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar who are great. I still think the real lyricists are from the earlier days of hip-hop and rap though.

I believe historical stories should be told as factually as possible, especially in a world where making things up on the fly is commonplace. I don't care if you make a hip-hop version of history, but don't portray real people as something they weren't and make the hip-hop songs factual.
Something tells me you wouldn't be a fan of Six.

Last edited:
I barely finished it and it was bad. But I don't know if that's because I was watching a stage production on TV or if I just hated it because it wasn't even the least bit interesting to me. Unfortunately, I won't ever know because there is precisely a 0% chance that I spend money to see the stage version of it.

Even looking at it through the lens of modern America, it still doesn't make sense to me. I believe historical stories should be told as factually as possible, especially in a world where making things up on the fly is commonplace. I don't care if you make a hip-hop version of history, but don't portray real people as something they weren't and make the hip-hop songs factual.

And don't get me wrong, I like hip-hop and rap music quite a bit. I'm just not into most of the mass-market modern stuff though. Rappers like Nicki Minaj, Drake, and pretty much anyone on Soundcloud are terrible in my opinion. But you have guys like J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar who are great. I still think the real lyricists are from the earlier days of hip-hop and rap though.
You know what Jordan Peele really needs to get on?

Making a movie about slavery, except reversed. All the slaves are white people, and all they do it complain constantly. That would be hysterical and extremely offensive to so many people. Call it like Twelve Months A Slave and the punchline is that the white slaves get off early on good behavior or something.

That'll give history buffs something to holler about.

Tbh I didn't even notice the actors in Hamilton (London West End version) were mostly POC.

Maybe it's because it's a musical that I didn't care - I might for instance raise an eyebrow if a biopic/straight historical film had all the founding fathers cast from non-whites.

Some of the songs were pretty cool, and I preferred it over Book of Mormon, but at quite a few points I didn't have a clue what was going on. A rewatch with subtitles may be in order.

Last edited:
What's weird is that Cleopatra wasn't black or Egyptian, she was of Macedonian and Persian or Sogdian descent. But the whole "Cleopatra Race Controversy" has existed since at least the mid-1800s and we even did a chapter on it in one of my archaeology courses.

The Netflix show decision wasn't based on just having the best actor play the role either. Jada Pinkett Smith has come out and said the story is about a black queen. It's like no one bothered to actually look at any historical evidence regarding Cleopatra when doing anything for the show. But this is Netflix and they gave a show to crackpot Graham Hancock about how ancient people were too stupid to build anything and therefore aliens.

Things were so much easier when the role was given to English people.

Wonder Woman is also kind of Greek and people don't complain as much when Gal Gadot stars in a movie about her.

Besides, it's not like this is the first time Cleopatra has been played by black people to the annoyance of others.

Last edited:
Graham Hancock
🤔 Did I miss something? I don't think he was involved in this Netflix show?

From what I read about this guy (which, admittedly, isn't a lot) Hancock doesn't seem to be an alien-everything conspiracy lover? If anything, he seems to be saying historians/archaeologists aren't scientists or civil engineers so they'd get those aspects wrong.

Back