Crystal Palace, London

Sick_Cylinder
There are often suggestions for a London track - well, rather than an imaginary one why not the historic Crystal Palace which was set in beautiful park land only a few minutes from the London Tube Station.

From 1927 until 1972 the fabulous Crystal Palace circuit in London hosted a wide variety of races for motorcycles, F1, F2, F3, BSCC (Saloons) etc. The circuit was originally two miles in length. The first race was won by Prince Bira in his ERA Romulus and the first televised broadcast of motor racing in the UK was made by the BBC from Crystal Palace circuit.

In 1953 the track re-opened and was shortened to 1.39 miles. The lap record of 103.39mph was set in 1972 by Mike Hailwood in an F1 car. the first over 100mph lap was recorded by Jochen Rindt in 1970.

Unfortunately due to noise nuisance to local residents and the rising speeds of cars which made the track unsafe, it was closed in September 1972. Some of the track still remains and is used occasionally for sprinting. The track was immortalised in the PC games Grand Prix Legends and rFactor. I would love to race the historic and classic cars from the GT series around this track, which with its lack of run off areas etc would be perfect for classic racing.

Enjoy this classic clip from the 1964 Crystal palace BSCC round with commentary by the inimitable Mr Chumley-Warner.

More info from this link:

http://www.cocgb.dircon.co.uk/cry_pal_racetrack.htm

Last edited:
Didn't even know there was a track at Crystal Palace! Looks interesting.

Had a quick look around and found these...

Crystal_Palace_Circuit-006.jpg

car_photo_356077_7.jpg Crystal Palace May 55 BRSCC.jpg Crystal Palace start 1954 2.jpg

I like this one ..
Startline at crystal palace(1).jpg

@Sick Cylinder, thanks for the great video clips!

Being of the Geezer persuasion, these cars are indelibly in my memory, particularly the Mini Coopers since I owned a 998cc version.

Lotus Cortinas, Mini Coopers and the occasional salting of some huge American iron like that Ford made for exciting racing.

PS Maybe we could ask Kaz to include the music from the first video as Replay BGM? :D

Edit:-

PPS Maybe we could have this track with a Black and White option in replays?

@Sick Cylinder, thanks for the great video clips!

Maybe we could have this track with a Black and White option in replays?

Thanks GBO Possum. What a great idea - an option for replays in black and white is worth raising in the suggestions section and I am sure would be very easy to do. These cars are also indelibly imprinted in my brain - not because I've driven any - I haven't because I didn't get a car until I was laughably old, but because my Mum used to take me to school in a very early Mini (no synchromesh on first and second gears) and when that expired a Bottle Green Ford Cortina Mark 1 - I couldn't believe the luxury of the Ford - a black Bakelite radio with a brown cloth covered speaker - and the space - room for at least eight children on the rear bench seat (obviously no child seats in those days).

If you like those clips and cars we are going to be running our own recreation of the BSCC from that golden era using the classic mini, 1960 Buick Special (in place of the Ford Galaxie), Renault 8 Gordini (in place of the Hillman Imp) and the Isuzu Bellett (in place of the Lotus Cortina). More information on how to sign up etc on this thread which also includes a superb clip of the 1967 BOAC Sports Car Race. (all Geezers and non-Geezers welcome).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ford-ferrari-wars-bscc-starting-7th-september-2014.311494/

Last edited:
That's me in Number 6!
Ah yes, the team in the striped tops. Were there any team orders with your mate in number 8? ;)

I suppose the problem with any historic track, like Crystal Palace, is that they generally don't exist any more so couldn't be mapped out fully. So even if they were recreated for GT they'd only be approximations of the originals. But that said, even something representative would be a positive addition to the series.

I wonder how powerful the new course maker is going to be (if/when we get it). It would be great if we could have user (re)created tracks such as this - even if it's only the general layout. Here's hoping!

And for the black & white option, you'll have to get the old valve television down from the back of the loft.

I suppose the problem with any historic track, like Crystal Palace, is that they generally don't exist any more so couldn't be mapped out fully. So even if they were recreated for GT they'd only be approximations of the originals. But that said, even something representative would be a positive addition to the series.

I believe detailed information exists for Chrystal Palace because of the work already done in preparation for rFactor and Grand Prix Legends - most of the track still exists even though some of it is more of an outline.

Maybe an app will be created where people can walk a track then upload it into a track creator - helpful as many old tracks can be walked, but no longer driven.

..........Any track that made locals complain about noise gets my vote!!
Didn't know there was a track alonside a soccer stadium....

Back