CSL Elite F1 Set or Thrustmaster T-GT Poll

Csl Elite F1 Set or Thrustmaster T-GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cyprus
Cyprus
Why? because Thrustmaster T-GT is 499 + 49 shipping to my zone and and Csl Elite is 599 + 140 Shipping to my zone. Living on a island in eu

No flame wars needed, just want to get best for my buck like we all want to .
I do not own a cockpit yet...
My budget is close to 700 ish..
I can't upgrade to load cell yet..(not enough money)
I do not own a ps4 yet , but will probably in the future , mainly racing on pc
Why should i go with a base and not the other, i heard csl has alot of issues plus the epic rattling noise, someone who had em both maybe can share opininons here
Thanks!
7 days of voting then i will make a purchase.
------------------------------------------------------------

I just ordered the tgt from amazon. I’ll let you know how much better (or not) it is vs the g29. I chose the tgt as I’m too unsure the Fanatec will be supported by newer consoles.

T-GT is excellent and I have just bought the Fanatec CSL F1 PS4 set too. So I own both.

They are different to each other. Both are excellent. T-GT is more exciting, Fanatec is more smooth. You will get a lot of pleasure out of either set. I don't see either as being clearly better nor do I see any difference in reliabilty. Both systems have occasional failures but both are very reliable.

Fanatec has the advantage that there are a LOT of alternate wheels available and pedal sets. T-GT is always going to have the best GT Sport support and will not tempt you into a never ending series of 'upgrades'.

Not sure which set I will keep yet as only have had the Fanatec for a few days but have played a lot with it in a large variety of racers and on Xbox too using a Drivehub. If I do keep the Fantatec then will probably get an Xbox compatible wheel prob Clubsport V2 but that is over half the price of the wheel/base/pedal set again. However, it will be easier to switch between Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. The drivehub is excellent but requires a mass of wires and occasional faffing to get working. Two quick release wheels would be a lot easier.

Probably doesn't help but the choice is like between a ruby and an emerald ring.

CJ

How is more T-GT more exciting? if the other wheel is smoother, like...isnt DD wheels the ultimate smoothness? isnt this what we want?
smoothness = ffb clarity?

Tx , for replying to this thread CJ

Last edited:
Excitement = Loads of force feedback effects coming from the wheel, at every turn you will feel something
Smooth = Wheel not tugging at your hands all the time but you do feel the bumps on the road, the wheels slipping and the different texture if you ride across gravel

I will post again tomorrow as I will do a simple head to head comparison of the two wheels in GT Sport. So far I have simply swapped from my T-GT to the Fanatec and just played using the Fanatec loads of different driving games both on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I have not swapped back, yet. Our business is selling high end HiFi and often with that the real indication is not when you try a new speaker, say, but when you swap back afterwards to your old speaker to truly get a feel for the difference. Anyway I will post again tomorrow with my personal view using GT Sport on the PS4 Pro. Both systems are designed for PS4 so that will be the best test.

CJ

Can't wait for your input, do you happen to have a youtube channel maybe make a vid?

Oh and btw..my last wheel was a thrusmaster t500 witch i enjoyed alot, but was very dampend,
i do not wish to repeat that.
Just in case remember to tell me how bad is the dampening on t-gt, cus i know that csl doesnt have none if you want to.

Last edited:
I got the tgt wheel yesterday. FFB is an enormous improvement over the g29. Oversteer is way easier to catch, it feels like cheating. Cars that were near undeliverable before become just challenging.

The pedals are good, certainly not worse to me than the g29 pedals. I don’t use the rubber brake mod.

The subwoofer thing adds very little value, mostly vibrations.

I have no plan to use the gts specific dials as I don’t mess with the setting while I drive.

I got the wheel cheaper than what I would have paid for a Fanatec. Assuming the FFB performance is comparable, I’d suggest there would be little diffidence in performance.

The thing is the price difference for me will be 200 to 300 euro more for fanatec and since it's equipped with formula rim , i wanted to get the csl p1 rim 99 euros since i need a normal rim as well , total cost with shipping is 840 for fanatec . And t-gt is 550 , but i had a t500 and a tx from thrustmaster, and while i enjoyed t500 ,the dampening and the cogging was a total let down in time, while tx was smoother it didnt last long and broke ( no warranty ).
If t-gt has same cogging as t500 then for me doesnt matter even if its 300 euro...i think im just trying in my head to justify the 800 witch is not cheap at all and im pushingggg it. Guess we all do this sometimes, wonder how some ppl pay 1k for a phone just like that :).
Anyway this forum helps me getting the right decision , and i thank you all very much.
PS: I think i watched all the reviews on youtube on both wheels,but almost all are biased since its a sponsored free wheel review...

Last edited:
The thing is the price difference for me will be 200 to 300 euro more for fanatec and since it's equipped with formula rim , i wanted to get the csl p1 rim 99 euros since i need a normal rim as well , total cost with shipping is 840 for fanatec . And t-gt is 550 , but i had a t500 and a tx from thrustmaster, and while i enjoyed t500 ,the dampening and the cogging was a total let down in time, while tx was smoother it didnt last long and broke ( no warranty ).
If t-gt has same cogging as t500 then for me doesnt matter even if its 300 euro...i think im just trying in my head to justify the 800 witch is not cheap at all and im pushingggg it. Guess we all do this sometimes, wonder how some ppl pay 1k for a phone just like that :).
Anyway this forum helps me getting the right decision , and i thank you all very much.
PS: I think i watched all the reviews on youtube on both wheels,but almost all are biased since its a sponsored free wheel review...
nolive721
FFB feeling

there is cogging in the TS PC that dont appear for me to feel the same on the CSL.
I have been lucky enough to work for Continental in Germany in engine belt development, both front End drive (rib belts) and Primary drive (tooth belts) so obviously I am sensitive to these belts characteristics and performances
Keep in mind that he compares TS-PC with CSL Elite Xbox version which has a very strong damper which cannot be turned off as opposed to the CSL Elite for PS4, resulting in less detail in the FFB and a slower speed of rotation of the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Sorry for the very long delay. Here are my views based on comparing the two last week.
To be clear I have th CSL Elite F1 for PS4 and the T-GT set. Both sets are complete. The only slight feature is that I am using the rubber brake mod on the pedals but that came with the set.

1. Gran Turismo Sport
So this was the first time I have played it in a few days. I started with the Fanatec since it was installed. Big first impression was how smooth the wheel was when turning and I felt I could easily nail the line of the car. Force feedback on wheel turning and over rumble strip was good. However, I did feel that there was not much feedback for wheels skidding until they were really in trouble. The accelerator felt good and I seemed to have more control and the brake pedal felt really good which the Fanatec sponge mod pre-installed - it felt like a real brake. One slight oddity was that the lights on the base lit up with increasing revs but the same lights on the wheel only flashed red when the rev limiter was hit.
So to the T-GT. Big first impressions was that the wheel was giving more feedback. Whether it was realistic or not was another matter but a lot more jiggling of all types in my hand. However, the biggest, by far, impression was that the T-GT pedals now felt like they had almost no resistance to them. I think that this is simply the springs are a lot softer plus the sponge on the Fanatec brake pedal was more effective that the rubber mod on the T-GT pedals. I was actually quite shocked as I have owned the T-GT for over a year and never felt anything bad abouth the pedals but now I clearly like the Fanatec ones more.
So bottom line here was that I could happily live with either wheel, they were different but neither was a clear winner. However, I clearly preferred the Fanatec pedals. I also suspect that you would be faster with the Fanatec as you are less bombarded with force feedback effects and it was smoother (possibly simply as a consequence).

2. Assetto Corsa
Now I will confess that I have never felt that I had the right feel when driving AC with the T-GT set. I always felt that the feedback was not right no matter how much I tweaked it. So to try to be fair to both sets I set the feedback to default settings but then with everything on (think oversteer and one other effect are off by default).
With the T-GT I felt that the force feedback was trying to stop me racing well. It would wack me at random point on the track (trying to recreate bumps in the track) but it did not feel real at all. I was racing the Porsche 919 around Monza mainly but also the Panamera Turbo (as I own a Panamera in real life). When I switch to the Fanatec then the feedback felt really good. Again the pedals were better. This was the first time I have played the game and get what some people rave about with respect to the force feedback. It felt really good. Driving the 919 round the track was very exciting and really caught the drama of the car.

So if all you play is GTS then either set is good and very enjoyable. There are pluses and minuses to each but the outcome is rougly a draw simply on performance/enjoyment. However, with AC then the Fanatec was a winner for me. In this game both the wheel and the pedals felt better.

Personally I am going to keep the Fanatec. In the UK they two sets are about the same price. In fact the Fanatec set is a little cheaper I paid £550 for the Fanatec and the T-GT is currently £610 on Amazon. A further factor for me is that is I get an Xbox compatible wheel for the Fanatec then I can do away with DriveHub which I use for my Xbox One X games - Forza Horizon, Dakar 18, Forza 7. Am tempted by the McLaren wheel as it also has their nice quick release which will be good if I am swapping wheels.consoles alot (which I do and faffing around with Drivehub is a faff to say nothing of trying to play Dakar when a controller is used up on Drivehub). The McLaren wheel is another £180 though.

Just my views. I have no axe to grind at all.

CJ

Sorry for the very long delay. Here are my views based on comparing the two last week.
To be clear I have th CSL Elite F1 for PS4 and the T-GT set. Both sets are complete. The only slight feature is that I am using the rubber brake mod on the pedals but that came with the set.

1. Gran Turismo Sport
So this was the first time I have played it in a few days. I started with the Fanatec since it was installed. Big first impression was how smooth the wheel was when turning and I felt I could easily nail the line of the car. Force feedback on wheel turning and over rumble strip was good. However, I did feel that there was not much feedback for wheels skidding until they were really in trouble. The accelerator felt good and I seemed to have more control and the brake pedal felt really good which the Fanatec sponge mod pre-installed - it felt like a real brake. One slight oddity was that the lights on the base lit up with increasing revs but the same lights on the wheel only flashed red when the rev limiter was hit.
So to the T-GT. Big first impressions was that the wheel was giving more feedback. Whether it was realistic or not was another matter but a lot more jiggling of all types in my hand. However, the biggest, by far, impression was that the T-GT pedals now felt like they had almost no resistance to them. I think that this is simply the springs are a lot softer plus the sponge on the Fanatec brake pedal was more effective that the rubber mod on the T-GT pedals. I was actually quite shocked as I have owned the T-GT for over a year and never felt anything bad abouth the pedals but now I clearly like the Fanatec ones more.
So bottom line here was that I could happily live with either wheel, they were different but neither was a clear winner. However, I clearly preferred the Fanatec pedals. I also suspect that you would be faster with the Fanatec as you are less bombarded with force feedback effects and it was smoother (possibly simply as a consequence).

2. Assetto Corsa
Now I will confess that I have never felt that I had the right feel when driving AC with the T-GT set. I always felt that the feedback was not right no matter how much I tweaked it. So to try to be fair to both sets I set the feedback to default settings but then with everything on (think oversteer and one other effect are off by default).
With the T-GT I felt that the force feedback was trying to stop me racing well. It would wack me at random point on the track (trying to recreate bumps in the track) but it did not feel real at all. I was racing the Porsche 919 around Monza mainly but also the Panamera Turbo (as I own a Panamera in real life). When I switch to the Fanatec then the feedback felt really good. Again the pedals were better. This was the first time I have played the game and get what some people rave about with respect to the force feedback. It felt really good. Driving the 919 round the track was very exciting and really caught the drama of the car.

So if all you play is GTS then either set is good and very enjoyable. There are pluses and minuses to each but the outcome is rougly a draw simply on performance/enjoyment. However, with AC then the Fanatec was a winner for me. In this game both the wheel and the pedals felt better.

Personally I am going to keep the Fanatec. In the UK they two sets are about the same price. In fact the Fanatec set is a little cheaper I paid £550 for the Fanatec and the T-GT is currently £610 on Amazon. A further factor for me is that is I get an Xbox compatible wheel for the Fanatec then I can do away with DriveHub which I use for my Xbox One X games - Forza Horizon, Dakar 18, Forza 7. Am tempted by the McLaren wheel as it also has their nice quick release which will be good if I am swapping wheels.consoles alot (which I do and faffing around with Drivehub is a faff to say nothing of trying to play Dakar when a controller is used up on Drivehub). The McLaren wheel is another £180 though.

Just my views. I have no axe to grind at all.

CJ

Thank you for the time writing this , as well for the others who wrote here, i think i've made up my mind, and that is for fanatec, i will order soon , and probably review the wheel here myself.

I kinda feel sick spending so much money ....but i hope i did the right thing, i just went with the v2.5 bought the best belt wheel for now, was quite costly tho, wish i had my old cockpit , but it will come back in time.

Thank you all for the input, and hopefully everything will go well.

Shipping costs almost killed me..
Fanatec2.png

LE: sorry for the bad pic quality.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but to the OP are you happy with the wheel? And to anyone else including the OP, does the 7-way Funky Switch or the other Fanatec wheel's radial dials work in GT Sport?

The reason I ask about the radial dials is I really like the Logitech spinning jog dial (just hate the wheel), and I remember seeing something about Fanatec's SDK not fully supporting some dials so I'd like to know what I'm getting into prior to the purchase.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but to the OP are you happy with the wheel? And to anyone else including the OP, does the 7-way Funky Switch or the other Fanatec wheel's radial dials work in GT Sport?

The reason I ask about the radial dials is I really like the Logitech spinning jog dial (just hate the wheel), and I remember seeing something about Fanatec's SDK not fully supporting some dials so I'd like to know what I'm getting into prior to the purchase.

There configuration options for the CSL elite:
Fanatec-CSL-Elite-PS4-Gran-Turismo-Sport.jpg

But they unfortunately not provide the same functions as the T-GT

Thanks, I just ordered an CSL Elite/E-sports Formula wheel bundle after my Logitech started showing EM or board issues. But honestly, I was just curious of the functionality. Still not clear if PD supports the Funky Switch on the Fanatec wheels (or any of the other encoders), but I don't want a Thrustmaster or Logitech wheel so it really doesn't matter what's supported or not. Ever since the DFGT's jog wheel I've been hooked, but its not enough for me to stay with Logitech. Would be cool if they do support some of the rotary encoders, but I'm not holding on to a lot of hope.

Back