CSL Elite Firmware question

• Thread starter Keith2324
  • 6 comments
Barbados
Barbados
To those who have the CSL Elite wheelbase, P1 and Formula V2 rims, I need to pick your brains for a moment. I have watched various Fanatec videos on their products but I am still confused about something. The "official" firmware for the Formula V2 and P1 for PS4 are v334 and v311 respectively. Fanatec states their products/rims are hot-swappable on their wheelbases. If you have the V2 rim on the wheelbase with it's particular firmware(v334) and you switch to the P1 rim, will the P1 rim respond the way it should? Will the V334 firmware suit the P1 rim? I also ask this because the firmware for PS4 support is stored in the wheelbase and not the rim as in the case for XBox support. I am planning to buy the V2 rim in the future, however I don't want to spend time going back and forth between firmware versions.

Keith.

Interesting question, basically... will different products on the single wheelbase have/keep their own firmware versions? I'm curious because I think the peripherals will actually get their own firmware update. I guessing that because, I when update the base each product gets its own update one at a time when you put the firmware package on. I assume that is because they are really separate installs.

We'll see, sub'ed for an answer.

Don't mix firmwares and drivers.
334 and 311 are DRIVER versions, not firmware.
ALWAYS use the latest driver available (the higher number) and flash the respective firmware of the Base and wheel. Every driver and firmware is cross-compatible with every Fanatec product. So in this case, install driver 334, flash wheel base to firmware 653 (or whatever the firmware version is which is included in the driver), update the V2 firmware to v28 and you are good to go, your P1 of course will still work.

To those who have the CSL Elite wheelbase, P1 and Formula V2 rims, I need to pick your brains for a moment. I have watched various Fanatec videos on their products but I am still confused about something. The "official" firmware for the Formula V2 and P1 for PS4 are v334 and v311 respectively. Fanatec states their products/rims are hot-swappable on their wheelbases. If you have the V2 rim on the wheelbase with it's particular firmware(v334) and you switch to the P1 rim, will the P1 rim respond the way it should? Will the V334 firmware suit the P1 rim? I also ask this because the firmware for PS4 support is stored in the wheelbase and not the rim as in the case for XBox support. I am planning to buy the V2 rim in the future, however I don't want to spend time going back and forth between firmware versions.

Keith.
Hi Keith,

Please could you point out where you saw that the P1 wheel's 'official firmware' is v311 - I would like to correct that. As SimRacer925 points out, v311 is a driver package that contains several different firmwares for different Fanatec products, which trigger an update prompt when the appropriate product is detected. There is in fact no firmware for the P1 wheel - all of its commands come directly from the wheel base.

Don't mix firmwares and drivers.
334 and 311 are DRIVER versions, not firmware.
ALWAYS use the latest driver available (the higher number) and flash the respective firmware of the Base and wheel. Every driver and firmware is cross-compatible with every Fanatec product. So in this case, install driver 334, flash wheel base to firmware 653 (or whatever the firmware version is which is included in the driver), update the V2 firmware to v28 and you are good to go, your P1 of course will still work.

SimRacer925 and DomB. You are correct. I was mixing firmware and drivers. This makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing that out. Time to spend more money! :lol: :cheers:

Keith.

The P1 rim doesn't need an updated firmware, but some rims will not be recognized by firmware 334. The McLaren rim needs 336 or higher for example. Updating from 334 to 335 or higher adds FEI settings support.

The P1 rim doesn't need an updated firmware, but some rims will not be recognized by firmware 334. The McLaren rim needs 336 or higher for example. Updating from 334 to 335 or higher adds FEI settings support.
Ehm that's wrong. It's correct that some wheels need a newer base firmware to communicate with the Base, but DRIVER (NOT FIRMWARE!) 334 works with all steering wheels already. The McLaren does not NEED driver 336, it works since driver 311 or something like that for over a year now. Also FEI is a feature which is available for several years now so if course driver 335 is not required to add FEI, an older driver from 2 years ago would also have FEI available in the respective base firmware.

Back