CSW v2 with CSL P1 rim or...?

• Thread starter TPS
  • 9 comments

TPS

Poland
Lodz
Halloo Fallow Simracers.

I want to ask you to share your opinion, since I have a kind of dilemma what to choose. After 4 years of using CSW v1 with BMW rim there is a time to make another step. Sooner or later I will have to do it, because CSW will get too old and too exploited to serve well. I think my next step might be CSW v2 with much lighter rim - CSL P1. This combo seems to be perfect in terms of money spent, especially that I am not looking for eye candy factor. I use racing gloves, so I think cheap plastic feel in VR is not a problem. I was thinking about going for a better rim from Fanatec, but no other rim is so light, and moreover it increases the budget so much it is better for me to keep the BMW rim and invest in OSW.

Being on the fence a bit as far as what to buy CSW or OSW, I must admit I am a bit tempted, but powerful FFB and fighting the wheel during the race is not my priority (should it?).

So - what do you think about buying CSW v2 with CSL P1 wheel for VR 2 DOF occasional simdriving? I do not race too often, since I do not have much time to train to be competitive. I like chasing AI in Assetto Corsa at 95%, which seems to be funny and less stressful than racing in iRacing ;-)

I will get back to iR sooner or later, but I do not think OSW may make me be faster in any sim.

I have csw v2 and it is great. Since you have the v1 (unless it started showing its age) I would wait for Fanatec DD wheel (if I was in your position) and then make the decision according to its pricing.

TPS
Halloo Fallow Simracers.

I want to ask you to share your opinion, since I have a kind of dilemma what to choose. After 4 years of using CSW v1 with BMW rim there is a time to make another step. Sooner or later I will have to do it, because CSW will get too old and too exploited to serve well. I think my next step might be CSW v2 with much lighter rim - CSL P1. This combo seems to be perfect in terms of money spent, especially that I am not looking for eye candy factor. I use racing gloves, so I think cheap plastic feel in VR is not a problem. I was thinking about going for a better rim from Fanatec, but no other rim is so light, and moreover it increases the budget so much it is better for me to keep the BMW rim and invest in OSW.

Being on the fence a bit as far as what to buy CSW or OSW, I must admit I am a bit tempted, but powerful FFB and fighting the wheel during the race is not my priority (should it?).

So - what do you think about buying CSW v2 with CSL P1 wheel for VR 2 DOF occasional simdriving? I do not race too often, since I do not have much time to train to be competitive. I like chasing AI in Assetto Corsa at 95%, which seems to be funny and less stressful than racing in iRacing ;-)

I will get back to iR sooner or later, but I do not think OSW may make me be faster in any sim.
Why not use your BMW rim with the CSWv2?

Why not use your BMW rim with the CSWv2?

I read opinions that BMW rim even with more powerful CSW2 is still too heavy. As far as DD from Fanatec? That is an option, rumors are this year, so it might be next. CSL P1 is cheap 100 EURO so that is not a big deal to buy it.

There is also one thing - Thomas from Fanatec stated @iRacing forum, that DD wheels are far from being realistic. Let my quote him

"You can expect to get improvements in several areas with a DD wheel base but realism is not one of them. No car feels like a DD wheel.

The sharp details of a DD wheel are usually filtered in a car by the tyres and mechanics of the steering shaft. In this respect, a belt driven wheel still feels better. A lot of DD motors have a clearly noticeable cogging. This is usually better on a belt driven wheel simply because of the gear ratio.

So there will be significant improvements but at least the current generation of DD wheels is not superior in every way. But most people are already happy if it simply makes them faster, which is certainly a good thing"

I think opinions of DD wheels should be left up to yourself instead of following what Thomas has said.

Thomas obviously doesnt want to go out and say DD wheels are way way way way better than belt driven wheels and there is such a large gap between the two just to see his current sales of CSW2 tank?

I mean come on...he obviously has a big interest too see both products sell.

Try to look at some online reviews that compares the two wheels. Sim racing garage is a nice place or try it for yourself.

I think opinions of DD wheels should be left up to yourself instead of following what Thomas has said.

Thomas obviously doesnt want to go out and say DD wheels are way way way way better than belt driven wheels and there is such a large gap between the two just to see his current sales of CSW2 tank?

I mean come on...he obviously has a big interest too see both products sell.

Try to look at some online reviews that compares the two wheels. Sim racing garage is a nice place or try it for yourself.

Partly I can agree, but I would not assume that CEO of a company, who wants to introduce a new product (according to rumors) would express opinions counterproductive to a product they want to introduce just to keep up the selling of their regular line. Would you?

I have no opportunity to test it myself. Reviews? Yes - they say DD is more than great. It does not mean it will suit my purposes.

Apart from the fact of OSW benefits - can anybody say your opinion about CSW v2 with CSL P1 wheel combo? I know CSL P1 is a bit plastic, but it is light, so might be perfect for pretty strong CSW v2 base. I use gloves and VR so touch and feel is of minor priority ;-)

In my opinion if your gonna buy a Thrustmaster quality wheel rim you might as well use one of their bases as well, save some money. The rim is going to cheapen the whole feel of the wheel anyway. I only know one person who bought a CSL rim with the V2 base and after a month or so he was buying a BMW rim. His main complaint was it just felt cheap.

In my opinion if your gonna buy a Thrustmaster quality wheel rim you might as well use one of their bases as well, save some money. The rim is going to cheapen the whole feel of the wheel anyway. I only know one person who bought a CSL rim with the V2 base and after a month or so he was buying a BMW rim. His main complaint was it just felt cheap.

I stated earlier - in VR the look is not important. Feel? I use gloves. So? I have BMW rim, but it is heavy and softens the FFB, so I think lighter rim may do its job well. If I am to buy another light rim (Porsche, universal hub and oher rim) the total cost is going to the sum o f money I would spend on OSW DD. I hope now you got the picture.

TPS
Partly I can agree, but I would not assume that CEO of a company, who wants to introduce a new product (according to rumors) would express opinions counterproductive to a product they want to introduce just to keep up the selling of their regular line. Would you?

I have no opportunity to test it myself. Reviews? Yes - they say DD is more than great. It does not mean it will suit my purposes.

Actually, the CEO of the company is person you should least trust...they have a huge incentive to not speak the truth to ensure their sales continue. YThomas earns more money selling both wheels instead of one over the other.

If he comes out and bags belt driven and says DD is the way to go, and remember the DD wheel comes out sometime this year...what do you think happens to the current sales of their CSW v 2 wheel?

I run a lot of businesses, that would leave a significant profit and cash sink hole on his profit and loss/balance sheet and it'll mean his R&D/manufacturing spend on DD wheel continues so it'll have a double jaws effect in a way on his business. i.e. his sales fall, his costs go up = less profit.

So yes, I stand by my comments.

What Thomas is doing is textbook 101 to ensure sales of both wheels are going strong. I wouldn't be surprised once the DD wheels comes out he changes his tune a bit and praise how realistic DD wheels are....

Let me also put it this way, there is many people within the sim racing community and i would dare say the vast majority who have both wheels says DD wheels are hands down the best. And then suddenly Thomas, CEO of Fanatec, who sells both wheels and currently only the belt driven puts down DD wheels and suddenly everyone else is wrong?

What type of wheels do you think top end motorsport development teams wrong? belt driven wheels? :lol: (Remember, we are not arguing about price. We are talking about simply what is better, regardless of price)

Just remember, I said you should trust YOURSELF. not Thomas. Go try a DD wheel, a belt driven one and come back and tell my your answer. Forget Thomas, forget reviews, forget Kaz. You might hate DD wheels, who knows....

I am not trying to put you down on your potential purchase of CSW. It is a FANTASTIC wheel. But to pay out a DD wheel and think CSW is even close to it, is just plain confirmation bias. Don't go down that track. Just be happy with your purchase, you will enjoy and love the CSW. But it is no where near a DD. No way near....

Summary:
I never said DD wheel or belt driven will suit your purposes? I am not sure why you brought that up.

I am simply saying DD wheels is better than CSW.

I am not saying CSW is bad. CSW is a FANTASTIC wheel.

Always believe in yourself. Don't listen to others. Just because Thomas said so doesn't mean it is true!

Last edited:
Back