CTR2 Understeer

  • Thread starter Thread starter LouWaters
  • 10 comments
  • 1,363 views
Messages
5
Messages
LouWaters
I bought this car for 200,000 in the used car lot, and spent another 200,000 repairing the engine and chassis. My problem with it is that it will not turn. It has a lot of power, but cannot go around a corner.

Is there anything I can do to combat this problem? I'm not very good at tuning suspension, so if that would help, please let me know what I need to do.

And does anyone else have this problem?
 
Slow in fast out. If a car understeers, you're probably over driving it.

With that set, stiffen up the rear sway some, or soften up the front springs.
 
Or another option is to put softer tyres on the front and harder ones on the back
 
Or another option is to put softer tyres on the front and harder ones on the back

Staggering tires can be a bad idea depending on the rates they heat up and how long they last.
 
I'm not even driving it that hard. I'm an OK driver. But I have to corner significantly slower than I would in my 512 or my little Impreza.
 
I lowered the front and as articzap said softened the front springs. Made handling much better. My favorite car so far.
 
I generally stagger tyres 7/10 times works well for me but they do tend to drop off pretty rapidly maybe im just too fast :p
 
The car had the same problem in GT4, so it's probably safe to assume that it's using the same data points for it's chassis (sigh, who would've guessed?). In GT4 it can be made drivable with extreme tuning, but yes, it always feels like it would go much faster if the game didn't think the engine was mounted in-front of the radiator.
 
Its based on a 911 and as such you have to drive it like one. If you get the power on even a moment to early you will understeer like mad.

Brake in a straight line, constant throttle around the corner and only get back on the power once you are almost totally straight. The fact that is 4wd isn't going to help you much here, its still got most of its mass out the back and you need to drive to the cars character not try and force it to yours.


Regards

Scaff
 
Like Scaff said, it's a 911 and you have to drive it as such. With a 911 you have to relearn how to drive, use the throttle to turn the car.
 
The CTR was an understeering pig in GT4 too... not completely unrealistic as 4WD 911's do understeer more than the 2WD versions.

Best to fit fully adjustable suspension and then try some of the usual tuning tricks that work on 4WD and FF cars, such as...

+ve front toe and/or -ve rear toe
soft front roll bars and/or harder rear roll bars
low front ride height
if you can fit it, put on adjustable centre diff and shift more drive to the rear

You could also try trail braking... braking right in to the apex of the corner. Though you will need to gradually reduce braking pressure as you turn. This is how I drive mine in real life... it's not 4WD, but it still needs some weight on the front tyres on the way in to a corner or it will understeer.
 
Back