Curious about the Concept Car

• Thread starter kjb
  • 14 comments

kjb

United States
Cary, NC
mrbabyboyd
The other night I did the UK vs. US and won the purple concept car. I got in it and I discovered a problem. The car got seemingly got stuck in 4th gear. I remembered this happened way back when I first had GT. The only way I could get the car to work properly was to lower the dampers to 2. If memory serves ne correctly I never had this problem with the yellow car only the purple one. I'm curious has anybody else ever experienced this?

kjb
The other night I did the UK vs. US and won the purple concept car. I got in it and I discovered a problem. The car got seemingly got stuck in 4th gear. I remembered this happened way back when I first had GT. The only way I could get the car to work properly was to lower the dampers to 2. If memory serves ne correctly I never had this problem with the yellow car only the purple one. I'm curious has anybody else ever experienced this?

I never had a prob with the car getting stuck in gear, but I remember needing to lower all the dampers to 2. Otherwise the car bounced way too much and wouldn't get above a certain speed. I never had a yellow Copperhead, just the purple & red ones.

Last edited:
the purple one was MAD with gold rims

why coldn't they call it the copperhead

I don't know. Even after 4 games and 8 years, Polyphony still calls it the Dodge "Concept Car" even tho its established name has always been "Copperhead". By this reckoning, the Chrysler Phaeton could also be called "Concept Car". Same goes with the Toyota Celica XYR. Same goes with the Plymouth PT Spyder...

Last edited:
I never had a prob with the car getting stuck in gear, but i remember needing to lower all the dampers to 2. Otherwise the car bounced way too much and wouldn't get above a certain speed. I never had a yellow Copperhead, just the purple & red ones.
That's what i was talking I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I thought i was the only who had that problem. Does anybody know why this occurs?

kjb
That's what i was talking I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I thought i was the only who had that problem. Does anybody know why this occurs?

it is the gearing of the car actually. In fact, by keeping the tuning of the suspension minimal and playing with the gears, I was able to obtain an average of 1:24:000 (est) on grand valley speedway, something I haven't been able to match in any of the other games with any car, I could only do it with the purple one though, even with the same exact settings on the gold one, I couldn't even come close. Once I'm done with my current race (24 hrs at Sarth 1 (GT4), I'll pop it in and see if I can't find my old memory card with the settings

The reddish gold copperhead isn't as powerful as the ones you win in th UK v US series, the red one is the cars real life spec and the actaul colour the concept was painted in, PD took liberites with the special coloured ones and gave them more power.

kjb

What problem? The gears or the dampers?

There's some legal reason for not calling it Copperhead. Can't remember where I read about it recently.

Various things combined to make it consistently bottom-out, which can result in a reduction of speed (e.g. automatic not going to highest gear). Other people raised the ride-height to solve the problems. It would seem strange that lowering dampers alone would solve bouncing/bottoming-out problems.

Well, I remeber a balance between spring-rate and dampers, affected largely by weight, was necessary to prevent the huge "wheels-in-the-air" type bouncing. The TVR Griffith could suffer from that as well; e.g. an AI one tended to in the USvsUK races. (Not to mention Demios!) Lowering dampers would fix that type of problem, but at times that didn't really seem to affect top-speed so much. (Especially for Demios).

There's some legal reason for not calling it Copperhead. Can't remember where I read about it recently.

According to Wikipedia :

Name controversy
After the unveiling of the Copperhead, Dodge got complaints from another company that had the copyrights to the Copperhead name, and as a result, Dodge could not use it. To avoid lawsuits, DaimlerChrysler unoffically renamed the car, with it being referred to as the 'Concept Vehicle' instead of 'Copperhead' in modern press kits, and on scale toys and merchandise. This makes press kits or items with the Copperhead name collectibles. The Copperhead's name controversy is accredited as the most likely reason why the car never reached the production line.

In popular culture
The Copperhead is a very well-known concept car, and has appeared all over the market. Toy car makers like Hot Wheels, Maisto, and Matchbox, among others, have created scale toys and models of the Copperhead. The Copperhead can also be found on just about any calendar or media relating to concept cars. The Dodge Copperhead appeared in the PlayStation game Gran Turismo, but under the name of the Dodge Concept Car because of the restrictions on the Copperhead name.

That's funny to see Daimler/Chrysler bowing down to "some company" that has the name Copperhead. I just read recently in Motor Trend that Ford is quietly suing smaller American companies if they use the name "Mustang" in their name. I wonder if that pertains to the famous Mustang Ranch.

Last edited:
Back