Cursed Political Content

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 5,770 comments
I realize the complexity goes up substantially with somethin like this, but it's disappointing that the hands are left out of the edit.

"You're gonna cry, cry, cry and you'll cry alone
When everyone's forgotten and you're left on your own
You're gonna cry, cry, cry"

S.M.F.T.T.L...

Perhaps they could ask Springsteen if they could use "Born In The USA" instead but emphasize the verses this time.

People seem to miss that it's about an impoverished Vietnam vet in the same way that I think they miss that The Police's "Every Breath You Take" is about an obsessive stalker.

Last edited:
S.M.F.T.T.L...
I'd meant to hotlink this to the post earlier but cartoons are hard to search in my post history.
Captain America - So much for the tolerant left.jpg

Last edited:
I'd meant to hotlink this to the post earlier but cartoons are hard to search in my post history.
Gotcha. I thought it was some variation on SMH.

As for Greenwood being replaced, Biden actually gets to appoint a member subject to congressional approval. Members are to serve terms not exceeding six years, with staggered appointments, and Greenwood's relief after having been appointed by Bush in 2008 turns into a culture war grievance. Because of course it would. It's not rational. It's emotional.

Also, people who call themselves patriots are very likely not patriots. He wrote and performed a song. However you feel about that song (I think it's pop country drivel, and while it's better than his "I Don't Mind The Thorns," it represents everything bad about country since about 1982), he gained fame and made an awful lot of money off of it. Now he's a pandering partisan puppet, not a patriot.

Last edited:
S.M.F.T.T.L...

Perhaps they could ask Springsteen if they could use "Born In The USA" instead but emphasize the verses this time.

People seem to miss that it's about an impoverished Viernam vet in the same way that I think they miss that The Police's "Every Breath You Take" is about an obsessive stalker.

I find it utterly hilarious that over the years GOP politicians have tried to coop Springsteen tracks, clearly having not done the most basic of due diligence.

That's even after tracks like The Ghost of Tom Joad and 41 Shots.

I find it utterly hilarious that over the years GOP politicians have tried to coop Springsteen tracks, clearly having not done the most basic of due diligence.

That's even after tracks like The Ghost of Tom Joad and 41 Shots.
To be fair, politicians and political campaigns across the spectrum don't bother seeking permission for intellectual property use. They see themselves as the ones who make the rules and naturally they're not subject to them.

To be fair, politicians and political campaigns across the spectrum don't bother seeking permission for intellectual property use. They see themselves as the ones who make the rules and naturally they're not subject to them.
With respect, I think the point @Scaff's making isn't about seeking permission for use (which of course would be nice) but rather that they could at least make sure a song's lyrics actually supports the cause it's been coopted for which doesn't seem to have been the case with Reagan and The Boss.

Last edited:
In my eyes, nothing still beats Fortunate Son blaring as Trump touched down for a rally.

"It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son"
You could say those lyrics don't lend his cause any cre(e)dence.

"Some folks are born silver spoon in hand / Lord, don't they help themselves, yeah / But when the taxman comes to the door / The house look a like a rummage sale"

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but Creedence are criminally underrated
I don't get this. First and foremost, descriptors like "underrated" and "underappreciated"--and on the opposite end, "overrated"--realy come off as "other people don't like the things that I like."

But how can this be said of CCR? By whom are they underrated? Ask people to name ten '60s rock bands and Creedence is all but sure to make the cut, and they likely would still if you asked for just five.

Isn't Omar's husband like super white? That would be some genetic marvel with two parents from Somalia.

Last edited:
In my eyes, nothing still beats Fortunate Son blaring as Trump touched down for a rally.

"It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son"

Trump's track record of stealing music is shameful and embarrassing.

It is comical, however, how utterly tone-deaf Trump and most of his acolytes are if they can even remotely think that this song reflects their values in any way, shape or form.

Last edited:
Isn't Omar's husband like super white? That would be some genetic marvel with two parents from Somalia.
Her current one is (Tim Mynett), the supposed brother is her second (or first depending on how you look at it) husband, Ahmed Nur Said Elmi.

I don't get this. First and foremost, descriptors like "underrated" and "underappreciated"--and on the opposite end, "overrated"--realy come off as "other people don't like the things that I like."

But how can this be said of CCR? By whom are they underrated? Ask people to name ten '60s rock bands and Creedence is all but sure to make the cut, and they likely would still if you asked for just five.
Maybe I’m just speaking as a Brit. I think what I mean is that people know their songs really well, but over here at least no one ever knows that it’s Creedence. They’re just “those songs always in movies”. Underrated was probably the wrong choice of word.

Back