Curved gaming monitor advice?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I currently have 65" Sony TV, but it's the main living room TV and have to drag my racing rig across the floor every time I race.

I've ordered a monitor stand and I'm planning to have a permanent setup in the corner of the room. As I'm going to be closer to the screen (head to screen with 65" is about 7 feet) would a 34" curved screen or similar be adequate?

You don't say what type of screen the 34" will be - is it a 21:9 ultrawide?

Whether it feels small or not will depend on the viewing distance. Have you tried putting your numbers into a FOV calculator to see if 34" will meet your needs? Here is an example:

To give you my numbers, I runwith a 60" 16:9 TV which is 30" away from me. This means I can run with a hFOV of about 83° which I'm more than happy with. If I was to run a 34" ultrawide at 30" I'd be down to 55° which I would not be happy with at all.

Last edited:
To give you my numbers, I runwith a 60" 16:9 TV which is 30" away from me. This means I can run with a hFOV of about 83° which I'm more than happy with. If I was to run a 34" ultrawide at 30" I'd be down to 55° which I would not be happy with at all.
I also use 83° FOV with a 32 inch 16:9 curved monitor, but it is placed between the steering wheel and the base.:)

You don't say what type of screen the 34" will be - is it a 21:9 ultrawide?

Whether it feels small or not will depend on the viewing distance. Have you tried putting your numbers into a FOV calculator to see if 34" will meet your needs? Here is an example:

Great link, thank you. I just have 48° at the moment, and just been looking at what I had before the rig was 35° 😳

Will do some more thinking and measuring and maybe go for more than 34" or see about siting the screen closer.

Forgot to update on here ...

I eventually went with a curved 32" Samsung G7 monitor and I'm very pleased with it. Much sharper and smoother than using the TV, and I can use 120hz output. My crashes look great now.

I bought some Creative speakers to plug in to it, and have a splitter so I can use the headset if needed.

Back