curved monitor versus 4k tv

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by twoskodas, May 23, 2019.

1. twoskodas

twoskodas

As above im thinking of upgrading my rig ,at the moment im siting 4ft away from a 40 inch 1080p flat screen ,im looking for more immersion so my idea is to sit the screen behind my wheelbase,my choice is either 32 benq 303r curved monitor not 4k,or 32 -40 inch 4k flat screen tv ,thoughts please if any of you has made this choice ,or has this monitor , this will be using xbox one x only. really like the idea of the curved screen but only if it wont distort the picture.many thanks

2. kikie

kikie Premium

3. twoskodas

twoskodas

thanks for links ,but pockets not deep enough for those,4 -5 hundred max euros ,will only be used for xbox one x sim driving ,also dont think consoles can cope with that size of a screen.

4. Napalm_LT

Napalm_LT

These 32:9 monitors can be used on the PC only or consoles too?

5. Racetee

Racetee

You can use them on console, but the picture will only fill 16:9 frame.

6. kikie

kikie Premium

Oops, you mentioned it that it is only for Xbox One X use only in your first post. I must have missed it. In that case, a TV is the better choice.

twoskodas likes this.
  7. twoskodas

twoskodas

I think I'll have to see them in real life,really want 4k but the curved screen would be better for immersion.first world problems:rolleyes:

8. kikie

kikie Premium

You could get a 4K curved TV.

NaketWookie likes this.
  9. twoskodas

twoskodas

You can in bigger sizes but not 32 inch ,maybe I'll have to go larger

10. kikie

kikie Premium

11. twoskodas

twoskodas

kikie likes this.
  12. Daz555

Daz555

40" flat vs 32" curved? No contest - bigger every time. A bigger, closer screen allows you to get closer to the mathematically correct field of view - an accurate FOV will help immersion far more than a curved screen. And curved TVs are not really that curved anyway.

twoskodas likes this.
  13. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

14. kikie

kikie Premium

Agreed but I think it is not possible to adjust the FOV in Xbox one x race games.
    If it is possible than the bigger, the better.

twoskodas likes this.
  15. twoskodas

twoskodas

Yes I agree with you,after trying out a 32" screen I was not impressed,thinking now 50" 4k 60Hz tv
    you can adjust field of view in asseto corsa +pc2

16. Daz555

Daz555

FOV adjustment depends on the game, not the platform. PC2 supports FOV adjustment.

17. kikie

kikie Premium

18. twoskodas

twoskodas

19. kikie

kikie Premium

:eek:

:eek:

twoskodas likes this.
  20. twoskodas

twoskodas

ok so just an udate ,bought a 49" 4k hdr nanocell tv incredible detail and as daz555 pointed out to me sitting up close with the correct field of view is very immersive ,and using the correct field of view has already reduced my lap times :)
    the difference in how you see the tracks hills and bumps is amazing ,many thanks for the help:cheers:

super_gt and kikie like this.
  21. kikie

kikie Premium

Two questions:

1. How is the input lag (latency)?
    2. Any ghosting?

22. twoskodas

twoskodas

Input lag of 12ms excellent for a tv and no ghosting that I have noticed :tup:

kikie likes this.
  23. Jezza819

Jezza819

I'm kind of thinking about the same thing except not for gaming but rather for internet browsing, video watching, etc. I've currently got a 27" inch 4k flat panel monitor but I either want to possibly go to a 36" 4k flat monitor or a curved one. I've never seen a curved monitor in person. That might help me to decide what to do.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  24. user3392345

user3392345 (Banned)

If the display is to small or to big you need to setup extreme FoV and PoV settings to reach proper cockpit view. GT-S havnt FoV setting(LOL) and very very limited PoV setting.
    If only playing Gran turismo, dont buy weird ratio screens, ps4 can only handle 16:9 format.
    55" from 1m gives closest 1:1 ratio view, so things in cockpit are same size like in rl. If screen to big you see knobs that a bigger than your hand or giant rear mirrors, gauges that are bigger than your head ect... totally unreal. Same if screen is to small, everything is tiny ^^
    50"- 60" with fine tuning in FoV & PoV from 1m eye distance gives best/closest to real results. :boggled::D:lol:

25. kikie

kikie Premium

That is near perfect.

twoskodas likes this.