custom colors for fonts don't seem to work

Skygrasper550

Back and forth between gaming and Gunpla
Premium
Philippines
Philippines
skygrasper_550--
I've been having this problem for quite a while now. It's better if I show it than explain it.

Sample Text

Sample Text

^^^ See what I mean? ^^^

Isn't the top example supposed to work the same as the bottom one? If not, please do explain it to me. Also, sometimes the site isn't able to parse all of the custom color tags that I put in one post. Let's say I have four bits of text wrapped in Magenta color. There's a high probability that one of those tags won't parse, and when I preview or create the post, it will be like the top example. Weird. :odd:

I want to use custom colors for some of the fonts I'll be using. The preset colors really won't do the job that I'm looking for.

Last edited:
I've been having this problem for quite a while now. It's better if I show it than explain it.

Sample Text

Sample Text

^^^ See what I mean? ^^^

vB colour tags don't work like that. You need a hash to indicate an RGB code and then convert it to hexadecimal - 255 is FF, 0 is 00, 255 is FF, for #FF00FF.

Try [color=#FF00FF]Sample Text[/color]

Sample Text

Also, sometimes the site isn't able to parse all of the custom color tags that I put in one post. Let's say I have four bits of text wrapped in Magenta color. There's a high probability that one of those tags won't parse, and when I preview or create the post, it will be like the top example. Weird. :odd:

You need to nest the tags.

[b][color=indigo]Sample text[/b][/color], with the colour and bold tags overlapping won't work.
[b][color=indigo]Sample text[/color][/b], with the colour tags nested inside the bold tags will.

If you have very many tags, you need to make doubly sure that they are properly nested, not overlapping. I use a lot of colour tags in my posts :lol:

Last edited:
vB colour tags don't work like that. You need a hash to indicate an RGB code and then convert it to hexadecimal - 255 is FF, 0 is 00, 255 is FF, for #FF00FF.

Try [color=#FF00FF]Sample Text[/color]

Sample Text

hash with hexadecimal? I don't remember that thing being explained anywhere in this site until now :lol: unless it's in the FAQ which I must have clearly overlooked. :dunce:

Sample Text

oh wow, it worked. :dopey:

You need to nest the tags.

[b][color=indigo]Sample text[/b][/color], with the colour and bold tags overlapping won't work.
[b][color=indigo]Sample text[/color][/b], with the colour tags nested inside the bold tags will.

If you have very many tags, you need to make doubly sure that they are properly nested, not overlapping.

yeah I know that stuff about proper nesting, I'm a software programmer :D to ensure properly nested tags, I don't hard-code them, I just use the buttons. But sometimes, even though I've properly nested the tags, the color tags don't get parsed and they turn into something similar to the top example. AFTER previewing or submitting the post WITH the "malfunctioned" tag, however, I would remove the malfunctioned tag, put the color tag again, and save changes. And voila, the color tag now works :dunce: I honestly don't know why that happens. Must be a bug or something. :odd:

I use a lot of colour tags in my posts :lol:

as if it's NOT obvious enough... ;) :lol:

Last edited:
I remember doing some posts with overlapping tags and it still came out alright :odd:

EDIT: Yup, I'm overlapping them right now 👍

I apologize for bumping the thread, but I want to know if it is possible to get an access to the list of all available font (default) colors ?

If I type simple colors like red or blue in a BB code, it works fine, but I remember there were several more complex shades of main colors which had their own particular name or prefix.

Well mine is color=navy but, I'm not sure if there is a full list, it's probably quite large.
If I'm not mistaken, in the past, the forum featured list of all color codes along with the ability to add a color directly to your post when replying. :)

Thanks for the link @Razy , that solves the problem!

if you want to fine-tune your font color, use hexadecimal values instead of the available color words.

EDIT: man, I can't remember creating this thread XD this is mad old. Needs dusting.

Didn't get to try the color feature since we don't have the option to choose a font color from a list.

Always thought this was a nice feature :)

Back