Custom colours???

• Thread starter Stumps_GTI
  • 6 comments

Stumps_GTI

Premium
Australia
Aussie
Stumps_GTI
Hey guys, wondering if this is appropriate for this section? Maybe a Mod could move it to general discussion if need be.. ??

It's related to Livery Editor, which is why I chose this forum.
Has it ever been discussed or wanted to know type thing, regarding "custom" colours in the editor?
Why can they NOT be used in the colouring of decals, and ONLY as a paint colour?

It would be so handy if it could be used on decals...there have been times when, through my own fault, a colour has bleed through to a body part where you don't need it. Often this requires an immense amount of time to go back through all the decal pieces already applied, just to find the offending piece.
In the passed I have used a small patch to colour over the offending part....If you have used a custom colour as a base, you have NO chance of colour matching, unless you are extremely lucky....

It's one thing I would love Sony/PD to address if it ever becomes a talking point, though I suspect it is to do with how many more variables they would need to calculate into the editor?? :confused:

Hey guys, wondering if this is appropriate for this section? Maybe a Mod could move it to general discussion if need be.. ??

It's related to Livery Editor, which is why I chose this forum.
Has it ever been discussed or wanted to know type thing, regarding "custom" colours in the editor?
Why can they NOT be used in the colouring of decals, and ONLY as a paint colour?

It would be so handy if it could be used on decals...there have been times when, through my own fault, a colour has bleed through to a body part where you don't need it. Often this requires an immense amount of time to go back through all the decal pieces already applied, just to find the offending piece.
In the passed I have used a small patch to colour over the offending part....If you have used a custom colour as a base, you have NO chance of colour matching, unless you are extremely lucky....

It's one thing I would love Sony/PD to address if it ever becomes a talking point, though I suspect it is to do with how many more variables they would need to calculate into the editor?? :confused:

They cannot be used on decals because they can't. Sorry for circular logic, but that's just how PD designed it. I agree it would make things easier, but it's just not an option, and unless it gets changed, everyone just has to deal with it.

It's a square plug in a round hole isse. The data required for 3D rendering effects simply is not what you'd find in a raster file (which is what the decals are).

>This was my thought on it from a previous post....

The bitmaps/decals appear to exist in a shell outside of the wireframe, the game can project this shell onto the surface of the mesh, but the additional rendering settings to achieve the special finishes can't be applied to the decals themselves, just the shell that they exist in - or of course to the base mesh itself. I think it would be a significant effort and drain for the game to have to worry about rendering any additional shells around the car (i.e. all decals with a certain desired finish would have to exist in their own shell. At the moment there's two... whatever's on the base mesh, and whatever the decal finish setting is set to... increase that by just one further option and you're potentially increasing the rendering load by 50%

Not saying it's impossible... and I don't have facts to back-up my statement above, but it seems logical, and anyone that's tried to get a specific effect while using Blender probably knows how much effort it can be.

>and on the subject of blender, this was another previous post I made on the same topic...

The way I understand it (and I will happily be corrected)... It looks like the SVG files are converted to raster images before they are applied to the car (at varying resolution depending on the game mode). Since special paint effects can not be captured in a raster file, there is no mechanism there for the game to know you want something to look chrome, because neither an SVG or JPG/PNG etc. file can store information like that. In simple terms, paint effects are not colours, they are rendering techniques.

The paint effects have to be linked to the car model so that the games rendering system knows how to handle the rendering effects. They clearly do do something similar because we can set if all the decals should be matte or gloss, but the fact it only lets you apply one setting to the whole car makes me think it's not that easy, and, if you've ever done any 3D rendering, you'll understand that some effects are much harder to achieve than others... these are the settings in Blender for instance...

blender-png.700763

... now, PD can obviously provide all the complex settings as presets for each paint chip, so it's not like people would have to understand all this stuff... but my point is that settings like this relate to the 3D model of the car not the individual livery items, and that it's not really server load, but load on your PS4 and the game.... imagine 300 layer decals all with special paint effects on each, on all 20 cars on the grid... 60 fps... more like 1 fphour!

It's a square plug in a round hole isse. The data required for 3D rendering effects simply is not what you'd find in a raster file (which is what the decals are).

>This was my thought on it from a previous post....

The bitmaps/decals appear to exist in a shell outside of the wireframe, the game can project this shell onto the surface of the mesh, but the additional rendering settings to achieve the special finishes can't be applied to the decals themselves, just the shell that they exist in - or of course to the base mesh itself. I think it would be a significant effort and drain for the game to have to worry about rendering any additional shells around the car (i.e. all decals with a certain desired finish would have to exist in their own shell. At the moment there's two... whatever's on the base mesh, and whatever the decal finish setting is set to... increase that by just one further option and you're potentially increasing the rendering load by 50%

Not saying it's impossible... and I don't have facts to back-up my statement above, but it seems logical, and anyone that's tried to get a specific effect while using Blender probably knows how much effort it can be.

>and on the subject of blender, this was another previous post I made on the same topic...

The way I understand it (and I will happily be corrected)... It looks like the SVG files are converted to raster images before they are applied to the car (at varying resolution depending on the game mode). Since special paint effects can not be captured in a raster file, there is no mechanism there for the game to know you want something to look chrome, because neither an SVG or JPG/PNG etc. file can store information like that. In simple terms, paint effects are not colours, they are rendering techniques.

The paint effects have to be linked to the car model so that the games rendering system knows how to handle the rendering effects. They clearly do do something similar because we can set if all the decals should be matte or gloss, but the fact it only lets you apply one setting to the whole car makes me think it's not that easy, and, if you've ever done any 3D rendering, you'll understand that some effects are much harder to achieve than others... these are the settings in Blender for instance...

blender-png.700763

... now, PD can obviously provide all the complex settings as presets for each paint chip, so it's not like people would have to understand all this stuff... but my point is that settings like this relate to the 3D model of the car not the individual livery items, and that it's not really server load, but load on your PS4 and the game.... imagine 300 layer decals all with special paint effects on each, on all 20 cars on the grid... 60 fps... more like 1 fphour!

You just blew my mind. I learned a lot from your post. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you @MatskiMonk

I have no idea about these things related to colouring etc, but the way you explained things makes a LOT of common good sense, THANK you. :) 👍

It could be helpfull to have a kind of layer option which would cut /delete a part of the decal only the first layer below the decal you set as a cutting tool. For example you want to make a Pac man, just take a circle and the layer above should be a triangel on it's side, cutting the circle for about 40% and put the layer in cutting mode like the way you can delete or hide your layers.

Back