Customizable Manual Transmission Sound

• Thread starter TMSalad
  • 6 comments
United States
United States
Has anyone noticed when you purchase a Fully Customizable Manual Transmission the car makes a squealing when run in certain rpm ranges? It's super annoying!? You hear it in Cockpit and Bumper camera modes but not the External or Hood views... I don't want to switch to hood view :nervous:

Has anyone noticed when you purchase a Fully Customizable Manual Transmission the car makes a squealing when run in certain rpm ranges? It's super annoying!? You hear it in Cockpit and Bumper camera modes but not the External or Hood views... I don't want to switch to hood view :nervous:
Racing gearboxes use straight cut gears as opposed to the gears you see in regular passenger cars. And straight cut gears make a distinct whine that increases and decreases with speed, and it's especially audible in the cockpit.

It's not something everyone likes, but it is very authentic. If you want to get rid of it, why not turn down the transmission noise in the settings?

BTCC:

GT3:

GT500:

If I recall right, there are two "fully customizeable transmissions" in GT7 - one under the Semi-Racing tab, which keeps it a traditional gearbox but allows you to customize the ratios, and one under the Racing tab, which changes it to a sequential gearbox with straight-cut gears (also allowing ratio customization), resulting in the whining noise.

Well, you learn something new every day :) I watch all the videos too. I'll have a look at the volume settings but might just have to learn to embrace it... or zone it out :lol:

I just use the less expensive version. I also tried the Low & High sport versions which do not make the squeal and might be suitable for some casual cars.

Thanks for the replies!!

Well, you learn something new every day :) I watch all the videos too. I'll have a look at the volume settings but might just have to learn to embrace it... or zone it out :lol:

I just use the less expensive version. I also tried the Low & High sport versions which do not make the squeal and might be suitable for some casual cars.

Thanks for the replies!!
Just turn it down, the game literally has a sound mixing option in the menu so you can silence transmission noises

I tried it at -5 & +5 and I don't think it makes a difference...?

I guess it makes a small difference. I turned up other sounds and turned down the race volume a bit. I just need to get used to it...

Last edited:
Back