Cyborg Motorsports - new race-spec minivans!

• Thread starter CyborgGT
  • 28 comments
United States
Colorado
GTP_Cyborg
CMSbanner.jpg

Welcome to Cyborg Motorsports, based in Monterey, California right outside of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. While the cars are for the most part tuned here, their setups are tested in various environments to be sure they can handle anything. CMS strives to create machines that are both competitive and fun to drive, so enjoy and please comment, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

RS 4 Touring Wagon - '01 Audi RS 4 / simple improvement on the factory spec
Odyssey Cup Car - '03 Honda Odyssey / race car - NEW!
RX-8 Shimotsuma - '03 Mazda RX-8 Type S (J) / Tsukuba hot-lapper (0'50.777)
Cooper 220RS - '02 Mini Cooper S / CMS tuner package
Avantime R36.R - '02 Renault Avantime / race car - NEW!
Saleen S7R - '02 Saleen S7 / race car

LagunaSeca.jpg

Home Lap Records

1'19.747 - RX-8 Shimotsuma
1'20.811 - Saleen S7R
1'34.686 - Odyssey Cup Car
1'34.894 - Avantime R36.R
1'34.898 - Cooper 220RS​

Last edited:
nice shots for the Mustang 👍

turn the TCS off (even if it's just on level 1) and re-adjust the LSD settings, make it like this:

Initial: 15
Accel: 45
Decel: 15

You're going to need to contain most or all of the wheelspin on 1st gear, so the gearings should be a bit close to each other. An Auto level of 8-10 on the Tranny should be perfect. 13 is just too wide.

that should do the trick on the wheelspin. 👍

I'll try your LSD settings and 0 TCS, but I'm not having any major wheelspin problems with my current setup. I have the tranny set to a custom 13 because the car tops out at too low a speed for anything lower. Couple that with its odd redline, and it makes racing on faster tracks annoying.

EDIT - I do like the handling of your setup, but that low top speed is still bothering me. I'll try some new LSD/TCS combos with my 13, and see if I can come close to replicating yours.

Last edited:
I'll get the settings for my Shelby inspired '05 Mustangs and put some of them up (saving them for garage launch). One's the GT500, the other is the GT500KR. Both have over 200Nm more torque than yours though so wheelspin is even more difficult for me. ;)

I'll try your LSD settings and 0 TCS, but I'm not having any major wheelspin problems with my current setup.

then why didn't you turn off the TCS, even if it's just level 1?? Turning on the TCS to even Level 1 means you're having problems with the wheelspin..,

I have the tranny set to a custom 13 because the car tops out at too low a speed for anything lower. Couple that with its odd redline, and it makes racing on faster tracks annoying.

EDIT - I do like the handling of your setup, but that low top speed is still bothering me. I'll try some new LSD/TCS combos with my 13, and see if I can come close to replicating yours.

oh that's right, the tranny settings of the Mustang GT are quite high, the gears are a bit closer to each other than usual.., go ahead with the 13 Auto setting.., 👍

then why didn't you turn off the TCS, even if it's just level 1?? Turning on the TCS to even Level 1 means you're having problems with the wheelspin.

It's because of the TCS set at 1 that I don't have wheelspin problems :sly:. Before I tried out your suggestions, I stupidly forgot that different gear ratios would result in different torque, so I left my tranny as-is; changing them to auto 9 did stop most of the wheelspin.

mafia_boy, I look forward to your Shelbys!

EDIT - Now I understand how you guys keep your garages so busy. Tuning can get pretty addicting. I started working on the RS4 wagon today. It's a bit of a challenge getting rid of that understeer, but I'm loving it.

Last edited:
It's because of the TCS set at 1 that I don't have wheelspin problems :sly:. Before I tried out your suggestions, I stupidly forgot that different gear ratios would result in different torque, so I left my tranny as-is; changing them to auto 9 did stop most of the wheelspin.

oh I see, I get it now.., 👍

mafia_boy, I look forward to your Shelbys!

EDIT - Now I understand how you guys keep your garages so busy. Tuning can get pretty addicting.

especially when, after spending days, you finally got the tune right. now you know why we set up our own garages in the place. :)

I started working on the RS4 wagon today. It's a bit of a challenge getting rid of that understeer, but I'm loving it.

that is but one way how we get our experience in tuning. 👍

You should retune the dampers. The rebound is way too high. You´ll get a much smoother and less erratic behaviour with something like this (F/R):
Bounce: 6/4
Rebound: 3/2

That's much better, thanks. My laps are a bit slower (or maybe I'm just not in my groove right now), but the ride is much smoother. So what's with the game saying that as a guide, the rebound should be 2 to 4 times stronger than the bound?

RS4front3.jpg
RS4rear3.jpg

2001 RS 4 Touring Wagon
2.7L V6
410 hp @ 6500 rpm
350.94 ft/lb @ 2500-6000 rpm
1,344 kg
Top Speed: 172 mph

Shopping List
- 2001 Audi RS 4
- Immediate oil change
- Optional wheels (Buick GNX's pictured [Day 4])
- Semi-racing exhaust
- Racing brakes
- Brake controller
- Racing chip
- Full-customize transmission
- Triple-plate clutch
- Racing flywheel
- Full-customize LSD
- Carbon driveshaft
- Full-customize suspension
- S3 sport tires
- VCD Controller
- Stage 3 weight reduction
- Rigidity increase

Total Cost: 180,380cr

Custom Tuning

Brake controller
- 5 / 7

Suspension
- Spring rate: 12.5 / 12.0
- Ride height: 103 / 103
- Bound: 6 / 5
- Rebound: 5 / 6
- Camber: 4.8 / 2.5
- Toe: -1 / 1
- Stabilizers: 5 / 5

Transmission
- Auto: 9

Driving aids
- ASM oversteer: 0
- ASM understeer: 0
- TCS: 0

Limited-slip
- Initial torque: 20 / 25
- Acceleration: 52 / 40
- Deceleration: 8 / 10

Variable Center Diff.
- Front wheel distribution: 29

- - - - -

Horsepower is only lightly boosted. The main focus of the tune was on the handling, in trying to tone down the car's heavy understeer. I think I've done a fairly good job, but it's still not a car you'd want to push past its limit. You'll want to turn late, and turn sharp to be able to fully accelerate out. Minimal changes were made to the transmission. Audi knows what they're doing, and it's got as good acceleration out of the lower gears as I could ask for.

Last edited:
[The Mustang GT-R is giving me a lot of trouble with the desired performance level, so I've taken it down for now. Watch this space for a new street muscle car.]

Last edited:
RX8ShimotsumaRear.jpg
RX8ShimotsumaFront.jpg

2003 Mazda RX-8 Shimotsuma
1.3L Turbo Rotary
526 hp @ 8500 rpm
318.83 ft/lb @ 5500 rpm
1,113 kg
Tsukuba Lap Record: 0'50.777

Shopping List
- 2003 Mazda RX-8 Type S (J)
- Immediate oil change
- Spoiler
- Optional wheels
- Racing exhaust & air filter
- Racing brakes
- Brake controller
- Port polish
- Engine balancing
- Racing chip
- Triple-plate clutch
- Racing flywheel
- Full-customize LSD
- Carbon driveshaft
- Stage 3 Turbine Kit
- R3 racing tires
- Rigidity increase

Total Cost: 234,800cr

Custom Tuning

Brake controller
- 5 / 5

Suspension
- Spring rate: 14.0 / 14.0
- Ride height: 97 / 97
- Bound: 5 / 6
- Rebound: 7 / 7
- Camber: 2.0 / 1.0
- Toe: -1 / 0
- Stabilizers: 4 / 4

Transmission
From default, set Auto then Final then individual gears.

- Auto: 3
- Final: 3.670
- 1st: 3.836
- 2nd: 2.943
- 3rd: 1.252
- 4th: 1.775
- 5th: 1.470
- 6th: 1.262

Driving aids

Downforce
- 30 / 30

Limited-slip
- Initial torque: 8
- Acceleration: 48
- Deceleration: 20

- - - - -

The name, Shimotsuma, derives from the city in which Tsukuba Circuit is located, hinting that this car is tuned specifically for that track. *EDIT* New gears have been fitted to the transmission to improve acceleration out of the hairpins, and slight adjustments have been made to the differential and shocks to account for the changes. Fortunately, I was able to retain the RX-8's wonderful oversteer that results from flooring it in second around the sharper turns!

Last edited:
S7Rfront.jpg
S7Rrear.jpg

2002 Saleen S7R
7.0L V8
576 hp @ 6400 rpm
551.36 ft/lb @ 4000 rpm
1137 kg
Top Speed: 206 mph

Shopping List
- 2002 Saleen S7
- Immediate oil change
- Optional wheels (Bentley Speed 8's pictured [Day 1])
- Racing brakes
- Brake controller
- Full-customize LSD
- R3 racing tires
- Stage 1 weight reduction
- Rigidity increase

Total Cost: 524,630cr

Custom Tuning

Brake controller
- 8 / 8

Suspension
- Spring rate: 16.5 / 14.5
- Ride height: 90 / 90
- Bound: 8 / 8
- Rebound: 8 / 8
- Camber: 3.0 / 2.0
- Toe: 0 / 0
- Stabilizers: 5 / 5

Transmission

- Auto: 9
- Final: 3.220
- 1st: 3.457
- 2nd: 2.361
- 3rd: 1.772
- 4th: 1.373
- 5th: 1.091
- 6th: 0.900

Driving aids
- TCS: 1

Limited-slip
- Initial torque: 15
- Acceleration: 50
- Deceleration: 28

- - - - -

I got as close as I could to replicating the real car's power and weight, then tuned the rest to preference. Wheelspin, like in the Mustang, was simply untamable, so I had to add a bit of traction control. The brakes were difficult to deal with as well. While the transmission settings reduced stopping distance somewhat, you'll have to brake a little early.

Last edited:
Cooper260RSrear.jpg
Cooper260RSfront.jpg

2002 Cooper 220RS
1.6L L4
218 hp @ 6000 rpm
206.35 ft/lb @ 4000 rpm
1052 kg
Top Speed: 147.31 mph

Shopping List
- 2002 Mini Cooper S
- Immediate oil change
- Optional wheels (OZ 030's pictured)
- Semi-racing exhaust & air filter
- Racing brakes
- Brake controller
- NA stage 2 engine
- Racing chip
- Triple-plate clutch
- Racing flywheel
- Full-customize LSD
- S2 sport tires
- Stage 1 weight reduction
- Rigidity increase

Custom Tuning

Brake controller
- 4 / 5

Suspension
- Spring rate: 7.0 / 6.8
- Ride height: 113 / 115
- Bound: 4 / 5
- Rebound: 5 / 6
- Camber: 3.0 / 1.5
- Toe: -1 / 1
- Stabilizers: 4 / 3

Transmission

- Auto: 4
- Final: 2.346
- 1st: 4.276
- 2nd: 3.207
- 3rd: 2.546
- 4th: 2.118
- 5th: 1.751
- 6th: 1.479

Driving aids

Limited-slip
- Initial torque: 10
- Acceleration: 47
- Deceleration: 15

Last edited:
You couldn't eliminate wheelspin out of that, and you have R3's on?! :odd:

*looks more closely at stats, compares to my JCW*

Aight, here's what I see from the gearbox side of things (and mind you I still haven't driven the car yet). 1st gear, lengthen it.........HEAPS!! I noticed with that final ratio you need around a 3.500 maximum for first. This is roughly where your gearing could be set for better punch through the gears/launch etc. I'll leave the final, but I think the individuals should be more like this:

Final: 2.300
- 1st: 4.170 ---> 3.400
- 2nd: 2.960 ---> 2.650
- 3rd: 2.350 ---> 2.150
- 4th: 1.830 ---> 1.750
- 5th: 1.500 ---> 1.475
- 6th: 1.285 ---> 1.275

This will make first heaps taller but close up the gearbox, and keep the motor in powerband more. I'm leaving a space underneath CyborgGT for a review of this car to see how it goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watch this space. :cool:

I have to get the auto setting clear up to 17 or 18 to be able to get 1st gear to 3.4, but then your settings from 3rd on up aren't available.

Do the transmission trick to get the ratios. So final ratio to 5.000 first, then find your autoset (which will adjust to the 'low' final ratio) that's more suited to it and adjust. I'd say an autoset anywhere from 1 to 5 should get you into that range. Then do the gears and then put the final back to 2.300.

I just looked up your Mini and it's 172kg heavier, and has about 67 less horsepower than mine. Maybe I just went a little extreme in trying to make it quick.

But even with the tranny trick and auto 1, I'm definitely not getting low enough ratios. It's not like I ever really need first gear, but I'm going to try a lower-powered, heavier setup altogether, then substitute the settings if it works out better.

My mini is only a factory spec car, not race spec. Big difference. If I get time today, I'll put a hi-po version up and look more in-depth for you. ;)

How do you tune the transmission to keep it in the power band? Higher (more torque) and closer values? I tried reading through the tutorial that's posted in one of the FAQ topics, and it wasn't very helpful regarding that.

Gear it so that (provided there isn't massive falloff) that shifting at redline will pop it no more than 1000rpm below peak power. If it's an extremely peaky car, gear it as absolutely tight as possible and shift to keep it there.

Those cars with falloff, you want to find where they start to fall off and use that as a shift point, not redline.

Great, thanks!

*EDIT* - Okay, I think I've got a good setup, which I just posted. At the moment I don't have any more tunes planned, so I'll work on my older cars' transmissions.

Last edited:
Avantime1.jpg
Avantime2.jpg

2002 Renault Avantime R36.R
2.9L V6
299 hp @ 6000 rpm
300.67 ft/lb @ 3750 rpm
1,445 kg
Top Speed: 153.09 mph

Shopping List
- 2002 Renault Avantime
- Optional wheels (RAYS 022's pictured)
- Spoiler
- Racing exhaust
- Racing brakes
- Brake controller
- NA Stage 2 engine
- Racing chip
- Triple-plate clutch
- Racing flywheel
- 1-way LSD
- R3 racing tires
- Rigidity increase

Total Cost: 205,620cr.

Custom Tuning

Brake controller
- 3 / 5

Suspension
- Spring rate: 8.8 / 6.7
- Ride height: 112 / 112
- Bound: 6 / 6
- Camber: 2.3 / 1.0
- Toe: 1 / 0
- Stabilizers: 5 / 4

Transmission
Default.

- Final: 3.931

Driving aids

Downforce
- 22 / 0

- - - - -

"Out the van, kids, you're mom's gonna have to take the coupe. Daddy's goin' racing!"

Originally inspired by Top Gear's attempt at making an Avantime lap their test track as fast as an Evo, I decided to put it to some good use by suping up another minivan, the '03 Honda Odyssey, for some direct cup-style competition. Horsepower and weight figures are matched to the T, and despite the obvious difference in handling between the FF Renault and 4WD Honda, their lap times are shockingly close on a number of tracks - at least for as far as my driving skills go (both achieved a 2'04.7 at Grand Valley!). The Odyssey's more nimble turning is matched through the torque and speed of the Avantime, and both provide for some good ol' fashioned fun. Neither transmission was altered very much, if at all. While acceleration is decent, there's no room for lower top speeds, with both vehicles hitting the rev limiter at the end of most home straights.

Last edited:
^ Nice new tune-up, it probably would work on the successor to the Avantime, the Laguna Coupe, as well, since Renault haven't make a Renaultsport version of that. :odd:

Odyssey1.jpg
Odyssey2.jpg

2003 Odyssey Cup Car
2.4L L4
299 hp @ 5500 rpm
282.52 ft/lb @ 4500 rpm
1,445 kg
Top Speed: 141.80 mph

Shopping List
- 2003 Honda Odyssey
- Optional wheels (OZ 001's pictured)
- Spoiler
- Racing exhaust
- Racing brakes
- NA Stage 3 engine
- Port polish
- Engine balancing
- Racing chip
- Triple-plate clutch
- Racing flywheel
- 1-way LSD
- Carbon driveshaft
- R3 racing tires
- Stage 2 weight reduction
- Rigidity increase

Total Cost: 223,800cr.

Custom Tuning

Suspension
- Spring rate: 11.3 / 9.7
- Ride height: 110 / 110
- Bound: 6 / 6
- Camber: 2.4 / 1.0
- Toe: 1 / 0
- Stabilizers: 5 / 4

Driving aids

Downforce
- 8 / 0[/SIZE]

- - -

Built to compete with the Avantime R26.R, this typical family minivan makes for a great track day racer. Not a whole lot needed improving; the chassis coped well with the substantial boost in power.

Last edited:
Hi there, I saw this thread and I thought I should make a post on here.

I know it's not a mini-van but I've had a really odd thought. Well, if you have seen the French movie "Taxi" then you'll know about the awesomely powerful white Peugoet 406 that the Taxi drivers owns. Inspired by this, is it possible to buy a 406 like that in GT4 and supe the tuning to the max like the movie has? I've looked everywhere but all I can find is a 1998 Peogot 406 Coupé in anything than white.

It is do-able...right? To make a car like that?

Back