Damage and Ghosting

  • Thread starter Thread starter scuudz
  • 11 comments
  • 1,366 views
Messages
295
Did a quick search on here and couldn't really find what I was looking for, so here's my question:

How does the ghosting change with different damage options?

In the league I'm in, we usually run the races with weak penalties and light damage in an attempt to keep the racing relatively clean. We haven't used strong penalties and heavy damage yet since we are intermediate drivers at best. However, what we are seeing in races is that when some drivers take unrealistic lines into corners due to the presence of another car, the two cars just ghost into one another. What this leads to is drivers mis-using the ghosting and using it to their advantage. Is there any way of working around this?

Also, lapped drivers get ghosted and drivers just drive through them like they dont exist which is completely unrealistic since back-markers unintentionally slowing down the leaders is an exciting part of racing. Is there a way to have the lapped cars remain solid?

Thanks in advance!
 
I havent figured out exactly when people turn into ghosts, or why exactly.
But it seems if they're semi-out of control the game will step in to avoid an accident (atleast in my experience), or if they're entering a corner at a speed at which the car will never get round the game will once again step in.

I hope the ghosting isnt too reliable because that leads to abuse, like just rocketing into an inside line on a corner, leaning on the car on the outside driving cleanly and giving them a ramming penalty.

Also the lapped traffic being ghosts I see as a good thing, as anyone getting lapped in anything less than a 100 lap Sarthe race in the rain is an absolute oaf so will just ruin the race for those at the front anyway.

Also, IT MAKES ME RAGE WHEN I CRASH TRYING TO AVOID A CAR THAT TURNS OUT TO BE A GHOST AHHHHHH.
 
I havent figured out exactly when people turn into ghosts, or why exactly.
But it seems if they're semi-out of control the game will step in to avoid an accident (atleast in my experience), or if they're entering a corner at a speed at which the car will never get round the game will once again step in.

I hope the ghosting isnt too reliable because that leads to abuse, like just rocketing into an inside line on a corner, leaning on the car on the outside driving cleanly and giving them a ramming penalty.

Also the lapped traffic being ghosts I see as a good thing, as anyone getting lapped in anything less than a 100 lap Sarthe race in the rain is an absolute oaf so will just ruin the race for those at the front anyway.

Also, IT MAKES ME RAGE WHEN I CRASH TRYING TO AVOID A CAR THAT TURNS OUT TO BE A GHOST AHHHHHH.

Yea, I thought so too, but the game doesn't always read your level of control correctly. For example, off the top of my head, I can think of an instance while I was doing a NASCAR race and was in complete control of my car through a curve, but I ghosted out because maybe the game thought I wasn't in control.

Also, pardon me, but you musn't assume that all the thousands of people that play GT5 are as fast as you. I drive in a league where there are drivers that might not be as fast as the other guy, but still know how to drive clean. I don't think its ridiculous to get lapped in a 25 lap race at Suzuka. It's quite possible, and its not because the slower guys are 'absolute oafs'.
 
Lapped drivers being ghosted is a good thing as it should stop idiots parking cars across the track so their friends can win. However ghosting during a normal race is frustrating. I wouldn't mind if laggy cars ghosted as otherwise their impossible to pass, but in a normal situation it's really annoying. I was doing the race the other day and got into the lead. I spent the next 2 laps trying to make my car as wide as possible (driving in the middle of the track etc) , when the car behind me ghosted and just drove through my car on the last lap.
 
Penalties cause the ghosting i believe. When they cut corners, or when it is obvious they are going to miss a corner it usually turns them to ghosts (To avoid collision and collision penalties). This is what I have noticed anyways.
 
NFSCARBON - But what about the times you are not racing with idiots? Just a dozen good clean drivers, some of whom are fast, some slow. Then, it adds excitement when the leaders have to be cautious while passing the back markers.

xAmillion - Yes, thats true in most cases, but sometimes you ghost out when you are in complete control of the car too, like the NASCAR example I posted above.
 
NFSCARBON - But what about the times you are not racing with idiots? Just a dozen good clean drivers, some of whom are fast, some slow. Then, it adds excitement when the leaders have to be cautious while passing the back markers.

xAmillion - Yes, thats true in most cases, but sometimes you ghost out when you are in complete control of the car too, like the NASCAR example I posted above.

I agree with you completely, but I think ghosting the backmarkers is the lesser of two evils. You could have a room full of perfectly good drivers and it only takes one or two idiots to ruin the race. Of course it's too late to kick them after someone has lost the race.
 
Yea, I guess you're right. I was just wondering if there was an option somewhere to turn the ghosting of lapped drivers on or off. I guess not. :-(
 
Also, pardon me, but you musn't assume that all the thousands of people that play GT5 are as fast as you.

Sorry pal I didnt mean to offend but I generally do 25-75 mile races in a room I make and enforce clean racing so it usually ends up being fairly tight.
 
No offence taken. I have never been lapped (and hope I never do), but I have been in many races where clean drivers have been lapped, and it's not because they dont know how to drive. It's just that they are not as fast.

Sorry if my post directed at you sounded harsh. Just get slightly frustrated when people assume everyone races like them.
 
Just to clear this up....is there anyway of turning the ghosting off?? Though initially there will be accidents where innocent drivers are taken out, after a few races,in a proper race league 'peer pressure' to drive more cleanly would prevail...
 
We use the penalty system for qualifying and that's it. Good stewarding removes the need to have GT5 monitoring the course, not that it does a very good job anyway.

Cars ghosting is just pants :D
 
Back