Dampers

• Thread starter bread82
  • 5 comments
England
Oxfordshire
Bread_45
How are people finding the dampers in GT7?

The percent damping ranges seem a lot lower, almost half, what they were in GTS. For example a GT7 road car I am working on has DampC 20-40%, DampE 30-50%. In GTS I was seeing DampC~60, DampE~90.

The cars in GT7 don't feel especially blobby, but since the physics are different overall it's hard to know what is causing what from game to game.

Running very soft comp and ext values all around has sometimes tamed GT7's power oversteer, the cars felt more GTsport-like. But this doesn't make sense since GTsport had stiffer numerical settings. I also feel like tuning the dampers a few clicks in GT7 doesn't have as much of an effect overall as it did in GTS.

I believe road cars IRL have ~30% damping, so the GT7 values seem reasonable.

What gives?

I run my cars High in damping I notice I get better overall grip. But tbh it might be just me thinking that. But I feel like I'm getting better grip, and more stability

How are people finding the dampers in GT7?

The percent damping ranges seem a lot lower, almost half, what they were in GTS. For example a GT7 road car I am working on has DampC 20-40%, DampE 30-50%. In GTS I was seeing DampC~60, DampE~90.

The cars in GT7 don't feel especially blobby, but since the physics are different overall it's hard to know what is causing what from game to game.

Running very soft comp and ext values all around has sometimes tamed GT7's power oversteer, the cars felt more GTsport-like. But this doesn't make sense since GTsport had stiffer numerical settings. I also feel like tuning the dampers a few clicks in GT7 doesn't have as much of an effect overall as it did in GTS.

I believe road cars IRL have ~30% damping, so the GT7 values seem reasonable.

What gives?
The dampers appear to be working as intended (in terms of what they're suppose to do). To me it appears the values will vary depending on spring rate, tire used, weight of the vehicle, and throttle or brake application. So there's no "specific number/value you must use" per se.

One's damper settings will come down to how you want the vehicle to respond in certain situations/transitions.

if i have weak stability on a car i tighten them all ..
otherwise i run the fronts on most awd rwd cars at lower settings and the rear noramally a bit higher than those

if i have weak stability on a car i tighten them all ..
otherwise i run the fronts on most awd rwd cars at lower settings and the rear noramally a bit higher than those
Hey quick question, doesn't that kind of adjustment makes those specific cars (awd and rwd) even more oversteery? (Being more stiff at the back and all?)

Hey quick question, doesn't that kind of adjustment makes those specific cars (awd and rwd) even more oversteery? (Being more stiff at the back and all?)
Correct. If you make the rear of the car stiffer than the front (or make the front softer than the rear), it will create oversteer characteristics.

Back