Dangerous Driving 2: The spiritual successor to Burnout Paradise!

Canada
Canada
Three Fields Entertainment has just announced Dangerous Driving 2 today! This time, taking on Burnout Paradise as its spiritual successor, for anyone that loved the original back in 2008. It will feature an open world, interactive music, 2-player split screen, and so much more! Plus, it's coming to Nintendo Switch for the first time!

Dangerous-Driving-2_02-19-20.jpg

"Dangerous Driving 2 is the arcade racer for everyone, featuring slick driving that rewards racing fans wanting to test their lightning reflexes at eye watering speeds. Set within a dynamic open world, players can choose how they want to race, either by competing in a host of thrilling events against AI opponents or going for a cruise in freedrive mode and testing the limits of the game’s emergent crash mechanics with huge multi-vehicle pile-ups. This world can be explored solo or in split-screen multiplayer, while those looking to challenge the best drivers around the globe can take the action online."

Link

PAX East, Feb 27 - March 1st, Boston
EGX Rezzed, March 26-28, London
Gamescom, August 25 - 29, Cologne
PAX West, August 28-31, Seattle
EGX, September 17-20, UK

Last edited:
Another open world racer... Getting quite tiring now, but if they put a unique twist on it that doesn't consist of "everything's legal and everyone's a winner!" I'll be OK with it.

If this is going to be the same as the first Dangerous Driving - a frankly cheap feeling nostalgia trip that doesn't offer much otherwise, then I'm not interested, and I doubt other people will be either.

But what's going to be more important is whether Three Fields has the budget, or the ability, to support this game in the same way Burnout Paradise was supported. Taken from someone who was on the ground floor for most of Burnout Paradise's life span - active on the old Criterion forums, binged every episode of the old Crash TV podcast, managed to get 450 out of 500 Freeburn challenges done, and many friends made and memories solidified playing that game, the joy of Burnout Paradise was seeing the game change and grow over the years, from the Cagney update to the very last one. Often times for free. But all of what Paradise in the post launch is pretty much standard fare now - and I seriously doubt Three Fields has the manpower, or especially the budget, to go on with it. What happens if the game doesn't sell? Does the game simply die on the vine, left for dead without much content? Are they going to offer free updates, or split the player base with DLC add-ons? And frankly, are they going to do anything to the game that isn't 'hey, it's Burnout Paradise from the same people who made it a decade ago!' Because if that's the case, I can go buy the Remastered version for dirt cheap if I wanted that.

I want DD2 to succeed. But what was shown to me with the first title simply wasn't very good, and wasn't able to distance itself from the cheap feeling nostalgia trip that it was. And I have a good feeling Three Fields won't be able to offer what made Burnout Paradise fun to be around for the long run. If it even lasts that long.

I hope they are not bringing back the same event style as Burnout Paradise, driving from point A to B with no checkpoint ends up driving very similar routes the entire game.

Despite what others say, I'm willing to give Three Fields a chance here. Some may say "Oh, it's blind faith", but who doesn't give "blind faith" to developers? From what I believe, TFE has the vision, but they don't have the budget. That is what's preventing them from achieving the vision they want and seek IMO. But despite all that, I will be one of the people to support them to achieve that vision, and hope one day they become big just like the good ol' days of Burnout WITHOUT EA.

Gotta give TFE credit though. At least they're still trying to give us Burnout again, whereas EA doesn't give a HOOT about anyone wanting it back. I'm glad Dangerous Driving is getting a sequel, even though DD wasn't AAA best. Can't wait to see what DD2 has in store game play wise. We should have a open mind for this one. You never know, maybe TFE will very well surprise us all with DD2 this time. Plus, there will be licensed music and split screen! :)

I would prefer if they aimed to make something more like Burnout 2, but with a more modern look and the takedown feature. They should use something like the original soundtrack from that game, which is dynamic based on when you are boosting. This is so good! :D

I feel like this is something much more attainable with a small development team, and could be really refreshing in the current video game climate.

I would be more excited for this if I had played the first one, but I can't (read: won't) because it's on Epic. So this will probably be much the same. Since NFS is going back to officially being made by Criterion again, I'm willing to bet my hedges on their next game being a better Paradise/MW2012 sequel than this.

If this is going to be the same as the first Dangerous Driving - a frankly cheap feeling nostalgia trip that doesn't offer much otherwise, then I'm not interested, and I doubt other people will be either.

But what's going to be more important is whether Three Fields has the budget, or the ability, to support this game in the same way Burnout Paradise was supported. Taken from someone who was on the ground floor for most of Burnout Paradise's life span - active on the old Criterion forums, binged every episode of the old Crash TV podcast, managed to get 450 out of 500 Freeburn challenges done, and many friends made and memories solidified playing that game, the joy of Burnout Paradise was seeing the game change and grow over the years, from the Cagney update to the very last one. Often times for free. But all of what Paradise in the post launch is pretty much standard fare now - and I seriously doubt Three Fields has the manpower, or especially the budget, to go on with it. What happens if the game doesn't sell? Does the game simply die on the vine, left for dead without much content? Are they going to offer free updates, or split the player base with DLC add-ons? And frankly, are they going to do anything to the game that isn't 'hey, it's Burnout Paradise from the same people who made it a decade ago!' Because if that's the case, I can go buy the Remastered version for dirt cheap if I wanted that.

I want DD2 to succeed. But what was shown to me with the first title simply wasn't very good, and wasn't able to distance itself from the cheap feeling nostalgia trip that it was. And I have a good feeling Three Fields won't be able to offer what made Burnout Paradise fun to be around for the long run. If it even lasts that long.

Only 450 freeburn challenges? Bah, what a pleb *laughs maniacally in Jansen P12 Diamond* :P

Seriously though Paradise was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. It was the second PS3 game I got after GRID. My first Burnout game, first open world game, first with realistic crash damage, first time playing online, first Platinum trophy, first time buying DLC. So much amazing memories and I would've bought the Remastered edition but I'm too scared of ruining the rose tinted glasses because let's face it, nothing feels the same second time round once you know what's going to happen. Criterion set the bar so high for post release support that it became the template for what I qualify as good DLC program for racing games afterwards. Sadly, only a handful of games have come close since and most devs instead focusing on low effort recycled DLCs and microtransactions...

Alright! This week is the week we'll be seeing some DD2 in action at PAX East 2020 folks! These are what TFE will be attending during this year to show off their new game.

PAX East, Feb 27 - March 1st, Boston
EGX Rezzed, March 26-28, London
Gamescom, August 25 - 29, Cologne
PAX West, August 28-31, Seattle
EGX, September 17-20, UK

I know most will still be pessimistic about this new game after the last one, bare in mind, I'll do my best to keep this thread up-to-date in news and possible gameplays. I will greatly appreciate any help from those interested. :D

I'm excited to see how far TFE have gone to make this sequel, with fingers crossed its concept can see success in many eyes. :)

Slightly off topic, but I can't find any information about the last event on the list (EGX 2020). I would like to try a near-complete build there, if the event takes place in London again.

Slightly off topic, but I can't find any information about the last event on the list (EGX 2020). I would like to try a near-complete build there, if the event takes place in London again.
I was provided that list of events from Fiona herself via mail. Although, it is strange it's not showing up. Wonder if I can find out myself.

Hey guys! I got confirmation from Fiona that the team are at PAX, but the other three are working on a patch for DD (the first game).

She also confirmed that there's no gameplay for DD2 for now, because the game is in early development, informing that TFE's focus is making it as good as possible via early feedback (which is understandable). However, she also said TFE will have something to share when...well..when they have something to share, even a trailer if possible. :)

Sorry if this wasn't actual news for you all, but at least we now know what they're up to at the moment. You can also sign up to the DD Club right here on TFE's website to catch up on some news. :D

Have a great day, and stay dangerous! 👍

https://www.threefieldsentertainment.com

• It’s coming to PC, PlayStation®4, the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, and for the first time, Nintendo Switch(this list was made before EA decided to put Paradise Remaster onto Switch so clearly that game was aimed at this indie project)
  • The Switch version is being developed in house alongside the other platforms(So simliar or same contents/performance)
  • Split screen multiplayer(rare choice for a 2020 game)
  • Online day 1(unlike DD1 which was added post launch)
  • Closed track racing with Open world Freedrive option(Just like HP2010)

Back