Danoff's SW21 MR2

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 9 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
I purchased this recently, and have been putting the finishing touches on it. One thing I've learned is that the middle of the day is a crap time to take photos of a car (and I'm not good at it anyway), so apologies for the poor photos.

About the car
It's a 1993 naturally aspirated version with low mileage (52k). Interior is super clean, exterior is super clean. Everything works (power antenna, AC, headlights, stereo, power windows, actually there's not a lot to break). I included a pic that shows off the windshield antenna, since that's something that doesn't survive in a lot of MR2s. Original stereo, original suspension, original interior, original glass, original paint, original nubs in the front bumper where a front license plate has never been attached. Here's what's aftermarket (and this list is complete to the best of my knowledge):

- Alarm system with keyless entry
- Steering wheel cover (I was totally going to remove this, but ultimately I decided I kinda like it).
- Battery disconnect (this just slips on the battery terminal and let's me store it without draining the battery).
- Tires (BFG Rival S)
- T-top window tint.
- R134a refrigerant conversion, which leaks slowly through o-rings and needs an annual top-off.

The only other caveat about the car is that I don't have the sunroof shades. Other than that, it's like new. It's on top of maintenance as well. I replaced the worn-out original clutch, and did the main seal and axle boots. Water pump is not very old. I did the timing belt. I think it's "done". Speaking of which, time to put it away for the winter.

As I've been mentioning in some other threads, this thing is a pile of fun. Everything about this car is so... manual. The steering is manual, the transmission is manual, the throttle is mechanical, it doesn't even have ABS. Something you forget too, after having not been in cars from the 90s for a while, is that things used to be so mechanical. Even the buttons on the stereo make a little cachunk when you press them, because you pressed a mechanical switch to, for example, set the air flow for the AC.

Anyway, it's a pile of fun.

mr2_1.png
mr2_2.png
mr2_3.png
mr2_4.png
mr2_5.png
mr2_6.png

That is one clean MR-2. Always liked the look of these.

How does it feel compared to the NSX? Like a little brother or completely unrelated? I'm curious how an NSX feels compared to my Boxster.

That is one clean MR-2. Always liked the look of these.

How does it feel compared to the NSX? Like a little brother or completely unrelated? I'm curious how an NSX feels compared to my Boxster.

Like a little brother. The NSX makes a better sound, and it feels more serious at all times (I've never driven any Porsche). The NSX is harder to get in and out of, and its harder find a place where it can stretch its legs. You definitely feel the shorter wheelbase in the MR2. It's a livelier car at low speeds. A little too lively at high speeds. Cruising at 80mph puts you at like 4k RPM, and the car feels like it's amped up at that speed. No relaxed feeling while cruising, steering was a little too lively at that speed. The NSX on the otherhand can cruise at 80 all day long and never bother you.

I think the quickest way to put it is that if the NSX feels at home at about 60 mph, the MR2 feels at home at about 40mph. The Acura is more grown up, faster, and more serious. The MR2 just wants to play.

I don't feel like the cars look all that different, but the NSX turns heads in a way that the MR2 just doesn't. They're both little red sports cars. But I think it's the dimensions of the NSX that make people look. It's not a huge car, but it's wider, longer, and shorter. The MR2 on the otherhand I feel comfortable taking anywhere, it doesn't feel stupid to park at like... home depot.

I need to get the two side-by-side for some photos. Right now that NSX is under a car cover elsewhere, so that's not happening until the spring... probably.

Like a little brother. The NSX makes a better sound, and it feels more serious at all times (I've never driven any Porsche). The NSX is harder to get in and out of, and its harder find a place where it can stretch its legs. You definitely feel the shorter wheelbase in the MR2. It's a livelier car at low speeds. A little too lively at high speeds. Cruising at 80mph puts you at like 4k RPM, and the car feels like it's amped up at that speed. No relaxed feeling while cruising, steering was a little too lively at that speed. The NSX on the otherhand can cruise at 80 all day long and never bother you.

I think the quickest way to put it is that if the NSX feels at home at about 60 mph, the MR2 feels at home at about 40mph. The Acura is more grown up, faster, and more serious. The MR2 just wants to play.

I don't feel like the cars look all that different, but the NSX turns heads in a way that the MR2 just doesn't. They're both little red sports cars. But I think it's the dimensions of the NSX that make people look. It's not a huge car, but it's wider, longer, and shorter. The MR2 on the otherhand I feel comfortable taking anywhere, it doesn't feel stupid to park at like... home depot.

I need to get the two side-by-side for some photos. Right now that NSX is under a car cover elsewhere, so that's not happening until the spring... probably.

From what you describe, the Boxster sounds a lot more like the NSX than the MR2. It too feels like more of a 'serious' car and is very at home cruising at 75-80mph on the freeway, despite only 5 ratios. It also never feels twitchy or unglued. I haven't really managed to upset it at all actually, but you can definitely feel the MR-layout mid corner when you power out of a turn and feel the car kind of pivot around the right side of your hip.

Something like a Miata or GT86 you feel like you are 'playing with' (I suspect the same as true for the MR2) whereas the Porsche (and I presume, the NSX) it feels more like 'dancing with' in that all of the sensations/movements/reactions are more precise, more granular, more intentional and more clearly conveyed. Whats remarkable is that this character was apparent within the first 50ft of driving my Porsche for the first time.

Yeah that's tidy. Not many around here like that, not even mine. That Red MR bug has really got hold of you.

I drove a manual steering version early this week and found it a little slow in turning due to the slower rack. I prefer my power steering over the manual. It's still heavy vs lots of cars but you can still feel everything through through the wheel so it's not bad.

It's amazing how different the USDM cars are vs the JDM models with all the little parts that vary. Things the US market didn't get or things they got in 91 vs the JDM that got them as options or only in 1997.

From what you describe, the Boxster sounds a lot more like the NSX than the MR2. It too feels like more of a 'serious' car and is very at home cruising at 75-80mph on the freeway, despite only 5 ratios. It also never feels twitchy or unglued. I haven't really managed to upset it at all actually, but you can definitely feel the MR-layout mid corner when you power out of a turn and feel the car kind of pivot around the right side of your hip.

Something like a Miata or GT86 you feel like you are 'playing with' (I suspect the same as true for the MR2) whereas the Porsche (and I presume, the NSX) it feels more like 'dancing with' in that all of the sensations/movements/reactions are more precise, more granular, more intentional and more clearly conveyed. Whats remarkable is that this character was apparent within the first 50ft of driving my Porsche for the first time.

There is a big part of me that actually prefers the playful car over the serious one. The MR2 feels like a joyful car, and it's intoxicating. The NSX (and my 330i) is more refined and serious and... just a little more like work. Sometimes I like that. I'm sure it feels like serious go-time when you get in an F16 fighter jet too. But it's not for the same outing.

The MR2 feels more mid engine than the NSX. Not that that's really a thing, they're both mid engine cars. But the MR2 feels like it more when you're driving it around. The NSX has been designed to be a little more responsible.

In regards to the Miata vs. the MR2. I always say the MR2 is what the Miata should have been. The dynamics are improved notably with the engine in the middle. The hard top conveys a sense of actually being in a car instead of riding on a part of one. The miata's wheelbase in '93 was 89". The MR2's wheelbase in '93 was 94.5". And the NSX wheelbase in '93 was 99.6". Each one of those is a very noticeable jump, and I need that extra wheelbase in the MR2 over the miata for a little extra stability. The additional wheelbase in the NSX makes it much more of a track machine and a better cruiser.

Always nice to see a clean MR2; That looks excellent. I completely agree with your thoughts on driving one of these. That steering wheel cover actually makes for a nice looking touch, too :lol:

Nice, an unmolested SW20 ! Any plans with it or keep it tidy and OEM ?

I think this has to be one of the cleanest NA examples out there. I'm sure there are a few that are in better shape, but most of the ones that are well preserved are turbos. I wouldn't mess around with this one. If I wanted to mod an MR2, I'd buy another one.

Back