Dark car dashboard with GT7 and PS5 on older SDR hdtv.

• Thread starter fardoche
  • 2 comments
Until a week ago, I was playing GT Sport and Project Cars 2 on ps4 on a 10 year old plasma HDTV (Panasonic Viera) setup with racing g29 wheel.
In preparation of GT7, I moved my PS5 from the living room to the basement, hooked it up to the plasma set.
I installed PC2 on the ps5 to try it out,and I immediately found something off in the picture, could no longer distinguish the subtlety of darker area of the car dashboard.
ex from PC2:
1646612934739.png

I though it was PS4 to PS5 conversion issue for that specific game, It turn out it is not, GT7 has the same problem.

It is actually a PS5 issue with SDR tv.

Ps5 Issue with SDR hdtv

So for those playing on older SDR tv, we are not getting the best picture quality as intended by the developpers.
PS4 games are fine on older set, not PS5.

For my specific HDTV, changing gamma from 2.2 to 1.8 on the tv advanced setting helped a little bit.
But clearly, Sony should fix this on the PS5, all PS4 games I tried with darker scene are fine on the same hdtv.
Fortunately, the game is still enjoyable.

You want Sony to fix something that occurs on TVs that came out a little before Gran Turismo 6? That was on the PS3? I highly doubt that will happen. GT7 is meant to run on better TVs, on the PS5, using optimal settings for both the TV and the console, than what was available 10 years ago. We're talking 2 generations of consoles ago. So, again, I highly doubt Sony will do anything address that.

TVs with UHD/4K/HDR and more bells and whistles than what was available 10 years ago are fairly cheap, these days. Hell, I upgraded from a 40" to a 50" and went from HD to 4K for less money than I spent for the original TV back in 2011 (just over $600 vs. just under $600).

SDR (non hdr) tv are still very common.

Pc gaming with a 2021 video card is fine
Ps4 is fine as well on that tv.

I tend to agree with the tomsguide article that this is a PS5 issue.

Back