Data Logger [Bug] {Use Km/h to work around}

• Thread starter SCClockDr
  • 31 comments

SCClockDr

Premium
United States
Union, SC
SCClockDr29379
When loading a reference re-play immediately following the initial original load, occasionally the original Wheel Speeds are reduced approx. 40%. The reference graph is normal.
original

I found if you advance the cursor into tha lap a ways, then load the reference lap you avoid this behavior.

Great tool BTW.

Will prove useful in analyzing wheel spin for setting the LSD and determining proper brake balance for various tire grades.

I have a MAJOR problem with the Data logger!
Whenever I try to load a reference lap (for example when trying to see the difference between a Tesla lap on Tsukuba from 1 of the latest seasonal events and a normal lap of a fiat 500) the game crashes on the loading reference screen and the whole PS3 freezes and I need to switch it off hardcore style.
Any1 with a similar problem?!
Damn! At first I thought this update was top notch but now I'm frustrated to my guts! :mad::banghead::grumpy:
Games like F1 challenge 99-02 have this feature working for so long. Why PD can't do it? Hire some quality programmers PD, ffs.

Last edited:
Same here. Anything can be done?

Is it possible to re-install the update or the likes?
I don't know man.
Maybe it is best to just wait for a quick patch or fix, or we can just assume that we are a few of the people that have that problem and we will be stuck with it for the rest of our PD experience.

I loaded it up to take a quick look, ran a couple of laps at Willow Springs in a GNX saved a hot lap, checked it out in the datalogger then ran a couple more laps, saved another hot lap and loaded both of them for comparison. No freeze, I didn't notice anything out of sorts but I did not spend much time comparing them as of yet. Just wanted to get an idea what was there at that point.

Well I booted the ps3 yesterday and the game did a ninja update. I then loaded 2 different setups and there was no problem with reading both graphs and freezing.
So maybe that ninja update did the trick.

Finally, I figure out what went wrong.

I run and save several best-time-video, and then the Data Logger opens them without problem. When I try to open the previous (problematic) one, it's frozen again.

So I assume there's no sufficient data in the pre-update recording. The Data Logger can't find what it needs and gets stuck.

That old video is OK when playback, but just can't be opened by the Data Logger. I make another run in the same car/same track and get a new recording, and it's OK for the Data Logger now.

Well, I guess that's the reason of frozen, at least for my case. Since I don't have other best-time recordings but only this one, so I'm not 100% sure it's something wrong in that file, or the pre/after-update issue.

If it's indeed the pre-update issue, there should be a warning not to open old files. (Is it there? Did I miss it?)

Finally, I figure out what went wrong.

I run and save several best-time-video, and then the Data Logger opens them without problem. When I try to open the previous (problematic) one, it's frozen again.

So I assume there's no sufficient data in the pre-update recording. The Data Logger can't find what it needs and gets stuck.

That old video is OK when playback, but just can't be opened by the Data Logger. I make another run in the same car/same track and get a new recording, and it's OK for the Data Logger now.

Well, I guess that's the reason of frozen, at least for my case. Since I don't have other best-time recordings but only this one, so I'm not 100% sure it's something wrong in that file, or the pre/after-update issue.

If it's indeed the pre-update issue, there should be a warning not to open old files. (Is it there? Did I miss it?)
Actually you are partly right.
I was in similar situation - I loaded a recent lap (the Tesla TT) and then tried to open a lap which was probably 2 patches old, so I'm with you on this one - there should be a warning not to open laps from older versions of the game. There was a couple of things that already got that message from PD (like the course maker changes and not able to use old maps in GT5). So LS Chiou you might just got it right there.
But what if other people don't have such a problem with older setups? Or what if the margins for a invalidated map and a legal lap were changed and the bug comes from there?
I will try to load the problem lap again and I really hope that the problem won't occur again. I hate when my PS3 freezes. :(

Good for you, unfortunately it's not working for me.

Since the problematic old replay file I have is only one, I just delete it and start over.

Wondering how others with more old files are getting.

I can't figure out if the data logger is still glitched or if it is just me. Like you all, I had the PS3 freeze upon previous saved replays. I erased those and saved new ones, however they don't even show up when I open the data analyzer-there are no available replays. Tried saving them as favorite, save them to ps3, etc. Is this just me?

Good for you, unfortunately it's not working for me.

Since the problematic old replay file I have is only one, I just delete it and start over.

Wondering how others with more old files are getting.
Very odd, as I'm the same as @Nato_777 , been scrutinising some old (1.03 or 1.04) Nordschleife runs. Not had any issues whatsoever except the issue outlined in the OP.

Huh, I just assumed it was a kph vs mph issue! 40% reduction is about right for that, see.

Maybe the data logger forgets to translate the wheel speeds to your chosen units (from whatever internal units it uses). But then it's the wrong way, because it should over-read in your (the OP's) case, and my case.

Nice to know there's a "fix" of sorts, though, thanks. 👍

I only tried to use the Data Logger once, it froze my PS3 & I had to manually reset it. Triple beeps & then does the checking for corrupted files thing. Won't be trying it again.

VBR
I only tried to use the Data Logger once, it froze my PS3 & I had to manually reset it. Triple beeps & then does the checking for corrupted files thing. Won't be trying it again.
I'm constantly astounded by how erratic some of these issues are.

I've had absolutely no issues (bar the op) with the data logger, yet, others have had some issues, and some, like you, can't even open it!

Update on this bug!

I loaded similar Ghost replays form different cars with very close lap times and got the following differing results. With the "Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR '04" as Primary and "Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII RS '03" as Reference I got Image 1 When I reversed the files I got image 2. Note both front and the Left rear differ from the Right rear in both cases. The rendering error just flips.

Weird I say!
IMG_20140419_101505_551.jpeg

IMG_20140419_104458.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a request. I love the Data Logger and using it to compare times. However, I am struggling with how to properly use it in regards to wheel spin and other useful aspects that I am stumbling around with in trying to figure out how to use. I think it would be very appreciated by a lot of the community here if one of you more knowledgeable people here would write up a sort of "how to" or "getting started" manual in the various uses and the "hows" in using this great piece of equipment. :) Much appreciated if someone would do this. I know I have had more than one person come to me with questions and also thinks this would be a great idea. Thanks you guys. :cheers:

I have a request. I love the Data Logger and using it to compare times. However, I am struggling with how to properly use it in regards to wheel spin and other useful aspects that I am stumbling around with in trying to figure out how to use. I think it would be very appreciated by a lot of the community here if one of you more knowledgeable people here would write up a sort of "how to" or "getting started" manual in the various uses and the "hows" in using this great piece of equipment. :) Much appreciated if someone would do this. I know I have had more than one person come to me with questions and also thinks this would be a great idea. Thanks you guys. :cheers:
Couple of interesting bits here

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/data-logger-what-uses-have-people-found.306705/

Just switched to Km/h and the files loaded and rendered OK so it looks like its metric units for a while till it gets sorted
I'm using metric system (km/h) and don't have that problem! So you are probably right about the cause of the issue you are having.

I love the Data Logger, but I have 2 gripes with it. The time difference trace seems backwards to me. Above the line (+ sign) should be when you are slower than the reference, not faster. This way you won't get confused with the in-race splits where "+ sign" means slower.

The second gripe is the g-force meter. The vertical axis is also backwards. Up should be braking and down should be acceleration. It's more intuitive that way if you compare it to your motions inside a car. Oddly the horizontal axis is the right way round (left for right turns and vice versa).

Just a small gripe I hope they change, otherwise this feature is the best update to GT6 so far :D

OK, loaded the problem lap/replay and the console froze again. So that patch was no solution to the problem. Maybe the file is just corrupted or something because I loaded 2-3 more laps and there was no problem. :(

I like the data logger. Used it to see where I could improve my GT academy time in the leaf.

My only issue with it is that you have to quit back to the main menu to be able to use it.

Latest Posts

Back