The English-built DAX Kamala was sold in limited numbers, around 30, before the entire project was sold by DAX to a new company called Kamala Cars.
Power for the DAX Kamala came from a mid-mounted, turbocharged, Ford inline 4-cylinder which propelled the Kamala to 60 mph in just 3.9 seconds, on to a top speed of 160 mph.
With its distinctive styling the Kamala was never going to be a mainstream hit. But it was hoped that enough enthusiasts would buy one to separate themselves from the usual vehicles seen on the road to make it a success. Ultimatley the Kamala paid the price for its unique design and the Kamala has since gone out of production.
Text extracted from Diseno-Art.com (diseno-art.com)
• Manufacturer: Dax Cars
• Country: United Kingdom
• Year: 2001
• Type: Road car
• Tags: #Road car, #Midship
• Engine: Cosworth Straight-4
• Power: 340 HP / --- rpm
• Torque: --- Nm / --- rpm
• Engine location: Mid
• Displacement: --- cc
• Aspiration: Turbo (T)
• 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) Time: 4.0 seconds
• Top Speed: 257 km/h (160 mph)
• Power-to-weight ratio: 0.43 hp/kg
• Layout: MR
• Drive: Rear wheel drive
• Body: One Piece GRP bodyshell with profiled aluminium floor and bulkhead panels, bonded laminated front and rear screens. Optional carbon fibre front mudguards.
• Chassis: Comprehensively triangulated spaceframe format with integral roll over protection. Fully bracketed for recliner seats, seat belt mountings, Ford (Sierra) column etc. Additional stiffness provided by bonded and riveted aluminium floor panels and bulkheads.
• Gearbox: 5-speed manual
• Front suspension: Front - Sierra/Granada 4x4 uprights (not Cosworth) with DAX nylon bushed unequal length wishbones. Spax fully adjustable coil cover dampers.
• Rear suspension: Rear - Anti-squat McPherson strut design. Ford RS2000 uprights with DAX wishbones and tie rods, comprehensively ball jointed for optimum control. Leda fully adjustable coil over dampers.
• Front brakes: 4x4 Ford Sierra/Granada (not Cosworth) - Ø 260mm vented discs and calipers.
• Rear brakes: 4x4 Cosworth Sierra - Ø 273mm vented disc and calipers.
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
• Lenght: 3750 mm
• Width: 1860 mm
• Height: 1100 mm
• Weight: 795 kg