Daytona International Speedway

• Thread starter Metalsun
  • 9 comments
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
The Daytona International Speedway, open since 1959 and home to many races including the Daytona 500 and the Rolex 24 at Daytona. To start it off, here is historic win:

Ferrari 458 GT3 2014 24 Hours of Daytona
by Metalsun1, on Flickr

The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship is an effort to unify various series and its inaugural event was at the 2014 Rolex 24 at Daytona a few weeks ago. Wow, did it work! The cars were well balanced and there was great racing. Usually in endurance races, there is a mad dash for position for the first few hours, a long “don’t screw-up, break or hit anything” stint and the final push for the podium the last few hours. Winners usually win by laps. Not here, of the 4 racing categories, 3 were fighting it out on the final lap! Through the great effort of the Level 5 Motorsports drivers, the #555 Ferrari 458 GT3 got to the flag first. Only to be time-penalized and striped of the win because of a controversial move with the #45 Flying Lizards Motorsports Audi R8 LMS at turn 4 in the final lap. Eventually, racing trumped controversy and Level 5 Motorsports was awarded the win three hours later in the GTD category. The first Ferrari win at Daytona in 16 years.
UPDATE: After Level 5 retired from the Tudor Championship, drivers Bill Sweedler and Townsend Bell moved to and raced the 555 for AIM Autosport. So, this past weekend in the 2014 Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring, they got a 2nd place podium finish. This time, 6 cars in the lead lap for GTD!
Update 2: After 8 races into the series the #555 AIM Autosport (now with a modified livery) still leads in in the GTD championship by 2 points.

Last edited:
where did that car in the OP came from? Is it really all photoshop? Impressive!

I don't know why, but I keep thinking its a Forza 5 pic. Just looks...off to me.

l0LIXpp.jpg

mVjMfq4.jpg

where did that car in the OP came from? Is it really all photoshop? Impressive!

I don't know why, but I keep thinking its a Forza 5 pic. Just looks...off to me.

No, it is all Photoshop. @Metalsun is a really good photo shopper, and all of his works are incredible :drool:
It's no question a very good edit, but to me its edited beyond the point of recognition, where the original GT6 picture was used as a base. The driver, the wheels, the tires, the body kit its all different. It's like any picture could have been used as a guideline for this photoshop. the If the background was left normal I think it would be okay, but nothing is identifiable and I had to think really hard to even place the car on the track. But I agree, I'm kind of having the same problem with it and the fact that it is in between art and realism probably makes the confusion a bit worse. None the less, the edit clearly took a lot of work and I can tell that a lot of time was put into, so I'm confused but I believe there is a GT6 image being used as a base somewhere in there and I do respect it.

veryferry, RACECAR and Amac500 I feel kind of proud that the edit has you guys baffled. It means that my work is getting better. GT_Racer22 is right, this is a Ferrari Photoshop edit from GT6, turn 4, Daytona. I invite you to visit my GT5 and GT6 galleries, I usually give some insight into my processes and experiences when finished with an edit. Yes, we sometimes take elements from real pictures to enhance the edit but as my abilities have improved I decided to take it up a couple of notches for this one and paint more and import less. In my gallery, I had included some days ago, a before, during and after sequence of the edit. Remember, check the GT5 gallery, there's some funny edits there.

veryferry, RACECAR and Amac500 I feel kind of proud that the edit has you guys baffled. It means that my work is getting better. GT_Racer22 is right, this is a Ferrari Photoshop edit from GT6, turn 4, Daytona. I invite you to visit my GT5 and GT6 galleries, I usually give some insight into my processes and experiences when finished with an edit. Yes, we sometimes take elements from real pictures to enhance the edit but as my abilities have improved I decided to take it up a couple of notches for this one and paint more and import less. In my gallery, I had included some days ago, a before, during and after sequence of the edit. Remember, check the GT5 gallery, there's some funny edits there.
I don't have the ability to edit to that level or anything, but my feedback would be just warning not to lose the connection to the game. In this photo I think the glassy looking bit in the top right is what hurts it because with the car so edited, making the background unidentifiable is what loses the connection to the picture for me. I think that's why some people feel that it seems a bit off and I think what I'm trying to do is warn about doing to much, like just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. Just cus, being a Gran Turismo 6 forum, everyone is looking for that connection to the game and leaving people baffled can detract from how we perceive the photos. I think a good rule of thumb would be to make sure either the car or the background is identifiable with the game, even if its still tweaked with contrast or toning and such, if you get what I'm saying. Again, I'm not as good of an editor as you so I don't want that to sound weird, but as a viewer I'm just saying to keep how we perceive it in mind. So yeah, that would be my feedback. :)

I totally understand you Amac500, and agree. As you may have already seen in my past edits, I never try to remove the GT5 logo from my edits on purpose. After so much editing, removing the logo clearly is no challenge but I want to maintain the connection, I want it to be seen as a GT photo. In some edits it is unavoidable (change in background or cropping), like here in the heat haze. I tried once to reproduce it and I did not like how it looked (GT5, Friday the 13th), but will try some other time. It has some lens-like transparency thing that I haven't got into yet. Thanks for your comments, its nice to know how you guys feel.

Last edited:
Back