De La Soul - hip hopMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anaconda
  • 7 comments
  • 908 views
Messages
189
IS it me or is De La Soul one of the few 80's groups that still have talent and hold on to their music never falling off? Thoughout the years I have heard all albums and I must say in my opinion they throw out fantastic albums. No bling, no bull****, no hating or anything of the sort. Awesome poetics intertwined with fantastic beats it just amazes me that they are much older yet they are also much wiser and carry that on to their music. Many of many different topics in each album just makes me love them more. I heard their new album Grind Date and was just blown away completely. :)
 
how about Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy? Top knotch lyrics, timeless beats that never grow old, and just damn cool
 
De % Slow's got a new one?

I remember buying 3 Feet High and Rising about 15 years ago, so yeah...they still keep things fresh and lyrically leaving mainsteam hip-pop in the dust.

...Is Dead was the first album with a "ding" to tell you when to turn the page; like a children's tape-and-read-along. Only Prince Paul could envision such a stupid idea and make it sound great. Biddies in the BK Lounge...I can't be your lover...a classic.

Bahloone Mind State was different, in that it seemed to flow together as an album for the first time. One of those rare albums that seems to fit many moods at many different times. Plus, you get Japanese rappers and a phone message you can record and put on an album.

Sates is High gave a harder edge to the sound, but with the hallmarks of De La. Not as unique as the previous albums, but still a solid effort all around.

Art Official... only heard it once about 3 years ago, don't remember it well. I must give it another listen.
 
emad
how about Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy? Top knotch lyrics, timeless beats that never grow old, and just damn cool
Oh no doubt about that hehe. I'm just hyped and crazy over the Grind date album from de la right now and getting ready to see them live tomorrow night.
 
pupik
De % Slow's got a new one?

I remember buying 3 Feet High and Rising about 15 years ago, so yeah...they still keep things fresh and lyrically leaving mainsteam hip-pop in the dust.

...Is Dead was the first album with a "ding" to tell you when to turn the page; like a children's tape-and-read-along. Only Prince Paul could envision such a stupid idea and make it sound great. Biddies in the BK Lounge...I can't be your lover...a classic.

Bahloone Mind State was different, in that it seemed to flow together as an album for the first time. One of those rare albums that seems to fit many moods at many different times. Plus, you get Japanese rappers and a phone message you can record and put on an album.

Sates is High gave a harder edge to the sound, but with the hallmarks of De La. Not as unique as the previous albums, but still a solid effort all around.

Art Official... only heard it once about 3 years ago, don't remember it well. I must give it another listen.


Definitely listen to the AOI I and II again then go into this album the grind date. Awesome album. *faints*
 
Rakim & Eric B haven't put out any music the past 10 years.... even Rakim has been absent for about 5 or 6 years already. So that doesn't count. De La Soul definitely is one of the more consistent group over the years. I don't like all songs on the Grind Date, but they definitely have enough musical skill to still be able to outshine many of the younger generation of artists.
 
Eric B & Rakim went to the courts so don't expect them back together again, Rakim had a Dre produced album coming out but it got stuck somewhere.

As for De La Soul, I love them. I own 3 Feet High, The Grind Date and The Best Of. They do absolutely rule :D
 
Even I - a 40 year old white guy - love De La Soul. In fact, I point to them whenever I'm complaining about how bad most rap/hiphop sucks and people accuse me of being a hater.
 
Back