Dead heat to 1000th of a second, who gets the place?

Canada
Canada
Had a corker of a Race A yesterday where I sloppily defended 2nd place from a guy a bit quicker than me for four laps. He got a run through the last turn and we crossed at an absolute dead heat, identical times. No penalties for either of us, I had a clean race actually. He got the place, i was pushed to 3rd, any idea how this is figured out?

Not burning or anything, it was fun, just curious how it is determined.

Maybe in these circumstances the finish times could be shown to be calculated in 1/10000 of a second instead of 1/1000.

Last edited:
Sometimes the numbers don't match up to what happened on track. In those moments you should save the replay and take a photo at the line. Usually one car is ahead by a few pixels

I have seen lap times in qualifying for FIA on several occasions, including myself twice. Who got the the tiebreaker seemed to contradict anything I could think of comparing the two cases. I believe the game records time down to more decimal places but does not display it.
There are smaller time increments than thousandths of a second, results are just rounded to three digits.

I have seen lap times in qualifying for FIA on several occasions, including myself twice. Who got the the tiebreaker seemed to contradict anything I could think of comparing the two cases. I believe the game records time down to more decimal places but does not display it.

I'm not sure, but I once tied on laptime in FIA qualifying and it put me behind the other driver in the qualifying results. We moved into the race and I was placed ahead on the grid...

The person who set the time first gets the tiebreaker in FIA qualifying and time trial leaderboards. :)

I have set a time first in an FIA race, and a second driver matched me later and started ahead.

I have seen drivers set an identical time second, and start ahead. Would be good to know the exact logic though.

I stand corrected then, what I said has been the case every time I've encountered it but turns out that's not how it works :confused:

Sometimes the numbers don't match up to what happened on track. In those moments you should save the replay and take a photo at the line. Usually one car is ahead by a few pixels
This is down to lag. Your replay shows the other car crossing the line at the time it receives the information from the other driver's console. The other driver actually crossed the line earlier than that by an amount of time time equal to the lag between you and him. If you were to watch a replay recorded by the other driver it would show the opposite finish order and probably show a slightly larger margin.
For fairness and to take lag out of the equation, each console reports elapsed time between race start and crossing the line to the server. The elapsed times are used to determine finish order, not how it appears on any one driver's screen.

Back