Debate about real F1 steering rotation angle

• Thread starter ultimate
  • 16 comments
Hi, i want to know which degrees F1 wheel could turn into corner
some people argue its a range between 210 -270 degrees
some others believe its above 400/500.
as you can see, huge difference between these hypothetical steering rotation angle
if you have some great info about this, put these on the table
why i ask for such question?
to get more realism

thanks

I see more in the 300-360 degree range and I seriously doubt any contemporary drivers use much more than 360.

Look up some onboards from recent seasons and pay attention at the hairpins. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Look up some onboards from recent seasons and pay attention at the hairpins. That will tell you everything you need to know.
This. Especially Monaco, and pay close attention when they get to the Station/Loews/Grand Hotel hairpin.

Watch from ~38 seconds. 41 seconds is the most lock Nico uses. The wheel is probably about 200 degrees, so probably 400 lock to lock at Monaco. However, it'll be nowhere near that at Monza...

I remember seeing or reading somewhere that it changes depending on the track. They use a faster steering rack with more lock on tight tracks like Monaco.

Yes only Monaco requires specific steering due to the amount of very slow and tight corners there
Maybe steering needs to be adapted for each type of track
street tracks like Singapor, Monaco
fast tracks like Monza
mixed tracks that combine slow hairpins and fast corners like Montreal, Barcelona, SPA, Suzuka, Austin...

I just cant get over the fact that they get that close to the walls at that speed without even flinching

the most angle an f1 driver will tend to use is between 300 and 360 depending on the driver and speed they are entering the corner, the hairpin at Monaco may go slightly more than this

A good place to spot how much lock the wheel has... watch a video of someone going off. For example (from memory), Maldonado in Spain quali this year. Lost the rear and the car turned in towards the wall, he turned the wheel far enough that he took a hand off to grab it the other way. And he wasn't just at 3/4 lock and decided, "Well if that didn't straighten it up, there's no point applying more steering." Clearly he was just going for full opposite lock.

Obviously on a normal lap around Catalunya one would never turn the wheel that far. But of course, no lap with Maldonado is a "normal" lap. :D

DNW
A good place to spot how much lock the wheel has... watch a video of someone going off. For example (from memory), Maldonado in Spain quali this year. Lost the rear and the car turned in towards the wall, he turned the wheel far enough that he took a hand off to grab it the other way. And he wasn't just at 3/4 lock and decided, "Well if that didn't straighten it up, there's no point applying more steering." Clearly he was just going for full opposite lock.

Obviously on a normal lap around Catalunya one would never turn the wheel that far. But of course, no lap with Maldonado is a "normal" lap. :D
I thought a maldonado lap was usually. 'Turn a corner, look for the nearest competitor, bash into the side of them, go back to pits to take a drive through penalty'

There is a debate in the sense that, it's really down to driver preference even in the actual sport. For instance, there are physical limitations - shoulder, elbow and wrist flexibility that narrow the maximum range for each individual person.

Further, I'd argue that Monaco does not require more steering wheel angle input compared to say, China's hairpin. That's the point of the special, faster ratio, boxes and notched A-arms. Of course, driver preference still plays a role here, as it always does.

If a driver came into the sport and wanted a 180 degree steering ratio, barring mechanical limitations, I don't see how you could debate that he's wrong for wanting/using such a ratio.

Alonso was about 300 in total, watching his onboard around Lowes yesterday.

Steering lock is, in part, a driver preference (as is the power steering level), it's how the rack is set up that's the most important. The same amount of rotation is always available at the steering column, it simply isn't required at some tracks therefore you don't see the wheel move so far.

Obviously (as mentioned above) Monaco requires full lock-to-lock and a very fast rack, remember that even though it looks fast its the slowest circuit of the year.

From the James Allen F1 technology page:

James Allen
Monaco is a unique circuit and calls for some particular details in the technical preparation of the cars, which you will not find anywhere else.

The main one is the steering lock, which needs to be 21 degrees in order to get round the Loews hairpin. Normally an F1 car has a steering lock of 17 degrees.

It is possible to run a standard steering lock and still make the turn, but engineers tell me that it is around 3/10ths of a second slower, so everybody runs the extended steering range.

I think you need clarification on the difference between steering lock and steering wheel lock? They are related by the steering rack ratio.

I discussed this elsewhere for other reasons so apologies for a cross-post.
Nico used 450' at Monaco this year.
I was actually shocked to see them use that much which leads a driver holding the wheel with one hand, completely crossed across his body (kind of a no-no in racecraft 101)

here's some stills as the vid above has been blocked

45'

1-jpg.173429

135'

2-jpg.173430

225'

3-jpg.173431

Back