Decal issue creating special edition rare countach twin turbo livery

FastFurious77

Premium
England
England
Is there an easier way to paint this area of the Lamborghini. I can't shape a perfect shape to make it clean looking. To achieve the desired effect.

It needs to look like the real picture of the Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo. A special version of the car only few were made. So its a commemoration livery to that car.

I thinl i went about doing this completely the wrong and most difficult way. So can anyone help me with this ?

Attachments

• 20190917_220311.jpg
    20190917_220311.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190917_215057.jpg
    20190917_215057.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190915_000728.jpg
    20190915_000728.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 37
Is there an easier way to paint this area of the Lamborghini. I can't shape a perfect shape to make it clean looking. To achieve the desired effect.

It needs to look like the real picture of the Lamborghini Countach Twin Turbo.

I thinl i went about doing this completely the wrong and most difficult way. So can anyone help me with this ?

Firstly, I am at work now & cannot access GTS to explore much.

I see 3 images with this post. I assume #3 is the car design you wish to duplicate. #1 seems to be your attempt to implement my solution before I understood much about your problem. I have not read a description of #2.

Let me start with #2. I believe @Cytoria is correct, these recessed areas are NACA inlet ducts which smartly also house the door handles. I have designed a livery for this car with decals applied to "highlight" only this area. I will review this livery tonight to examine both how I achieved this (probably 20 decals like @Cytoria used) & whether my solution is applicable.
I see red (or orange, my PC display perhaps fails me here, I'll refer to this as red), green & black here. Black is the desired color for the duct. Green, likely temporarily, represents the main color for the body. (I often use this temporary technique to produce high contrast between adjoining or overlapping decals &/or painted areas for positioning & scaling before finalizing the design with conversion to the desired color) Red appears to be masking off portions of the black area in an attempt to create shape precision. Here is where I think you must concentrate. I would advise you refine your black decals to extremely accurately cover completely & only the duct while abandoning any masking. For 3D contoured body areas, like this, remember to adjust Projection Area parameters as desired.

Looking at #1, I see (as in #2) red & black. I also see what looks like blue & chrome. You previously mentioned special color (sorry, Yank spelling). I assume you would like to be able to use a special color to replace the red. If you try my suggestion above, I believe you will achieve your desired look.

Work calls, gotta go, good luck.

Firstly, I am at work now & cannot access GTS to explore much.

I have had a chance to view my Lambo livery. My judgement is "meh".

From a distance in a race, it probably looks nice. Zoomed, it passes, but it's not great. Incidently, I used 18 decals per side.

I also notice that I only applied decals to the inner most surface of the duct. I might test the livery by changing the paint to see how it looks with other colors.

I'm not sure how closely this matches your intention. @wraith of horus , Respond after you have had time to explore some more if you still have trouble.

View attachment 851890

@wraith of horus , I experimented with other colors. Feel free to have a look.

This first livery is a medium red with black decals on the duct.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/livery/1562477/1/8359319738161038897

This second livery uses a special technique to create liquid metallic replicas which are much more mild than those GTS offers us as special colors. I named this one 'Rose Champagne'.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/livery/1562477/1/8367759590961481265

Of course, these would be best viewed on GTS. My PSN name is "GTR365_"

I still am new & fairly untested at using more complex posting features. Hopefully this post is as intended. If not, it'll be something else. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks guys for helping me. I thought i did it wrong by layering decals around the outside of the NACCA duct. The car was originally white.

When added the black shape over the NACCA duct and i come to paint the car any other colour or a special paint, the decals show, unless the car paint is exactly the same red colour that the decals use. :( I don't know how to remedy this ?

I had a 2nd attemp later with a new car which i bought in black. Instead of layering decal shapes around the outside of the NACCA duct to mask the inside black shape, i tried to work from the inside out without layering decal shapes around the outside to mask the inner area.

This has proved to be more difficult and i was having major problems trying to cover the area right at the back of the duct itself in black.

The original pictures, the white lamborghini is what i keep going back to to solve the issue. I think i have used way more decals than you guys. I have used 79 after duplicating to both sides of the car.

So now my problem is how do i hide the decals if i set the car paint to a different colour or a special colour. Whatever i do, the decals seem to show over the paint of the car. :(

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys for helping me. I thought i did it wrong by layering decals around the outside of the NACCA duct. My problem is that when i paint the car any other colour or a special paint, the decals show ? I don't know how to remedy this.
Put your black decals inside the duct, like I did in the Huracan or @GTR365 examples. You’ll have to zoom in, align with camera, play with angle and depht...

Also @GTR365 , thank you for the time you’ve put in these answers.

Put your black decals inside the duct, like I did in the Huracan or @GTR365 examples. You’ll have to zoom in, align with camera, play with angle and depht...

The problem is the decals around the duct though. Not the inner black decals. They show whenever i paint the car any other colour. Or i don't understand what you mean ? Whatever you are trting to tell me i don't understand. Just confused. I did play with angle and depth with the black shape. But the black shape isn't the issue, it's the out decals around the duct.

The problem is the decals around the duct though. Not the inner black decals. They show whenever i paint the car any other colour. Or i don't understand what you mean ?
Delete the decals outside the duct, and use only small black decals inside it, without overflowing the outside part of the body.

This has proved to be more difficult and i was having major problems trying to cover the area right at the back of the duct itself in black. :(

For underlying areas like the inlet opening you mention here, I utilize the Projection Method > Align with Camera option. (I have chosen this as my permanent default vs Align with Surface, I think under Options or maybe Settings from the menu buttons in the lower portion of the main Livery Editor screen) Using this option, I determine the angle from which the decal is applied. Often, the angle I choose is the default which typically is roughly perpendicular to the application surface in both up/down & left/right planes (relative to current camera view). I find manipulation using this method very useful when applying decals to application areas comprised of 3D surfaces.
For the Lambo duct inlet opening, I rotate the projection angle from a direction, in relation to the opening, toward the front of the car yet a little away from the side of the car. Pretend, if you will, that you are aiming a paint gun. You want the paint to hit this area & avoid other areas (with the assumption of no impact splatter). You need roughly to follow the invisible path of air flowing into the duct with your projection angle. Don't feel bad about using greater number of decals, you'll become more efficient (with time, precision & both decal choice & number) with practice.

Experimentation with Livery Editor techniques & tools is very instructive. But, remember, the GTS limit for saved liveries is 1000. While this might seem unobtainable, I fight this every few weeks now & I must review liveries from Profile > My Library & delete duplicates & undesirables to remain able to save & upload additional designs.
The online manual (accessible both in game & on the InterWeb) provides good info & several examples with screenshots helpful with location & description of menu choices & controls. Also insightful, & often entertaining & mesmerizing, is the selection of liveries uploaded to GTS. Again, these are accessible both in game & online. A decent search function is available. You also simply may window shop; you are able to sort under several criteria, like Trending, Most Popular, etc.

I have found legitimacy in the usage of decals for masking. Here are some examples, best viewed in GTS & available under my profile at PSN "GTR365_":

A pair of Porsches
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/4900571710170858544
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/6989591099730822673

A BMW
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/8368344527052735032

A silly Chevrolet
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/7134367019122556968

Also (discovered while looking for the above liveries) I uploaded a livery illustrating some tips for decal alignment & scaling. The post comments elaborate on the techniques. This absolutely must be viewed in game for full effect.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/6990228741437816880

Thanks for reading

No problem. I'm like a fireman; while things at work run, I rest.

We all have insight. If we had no need for GT knowledge or fellowship, we would be knitting sweaters.

I’d suggest doing a black overlay, then using curved shapes rather than straight lines, to mask around the vent while altering the camera angle. I may make a clip showing the regular method vs moving the camera to align the decal

Last edited:
You can use some of my decals if you like they work well. Did them a while back but never finished the car. For the sides you just need to fill 1 spot that the NACA decal doesn't cover but it's not a big deal. Works well for special paints.

Attachments

• Countach Turbo NACA side.svg
    922 bytes · Views: 14
  • Countach Turbo sticker L.svg
    12 KB · Views: 10
  • Countach Turbo sticker R.svg
    12.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Countach Turbo sticker.svg
    10.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Countach Turbo badge black.svg
    9.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Gran Turismo™SPORT_20190919201845.jpg
    Gran Turismo™SPORT_20190919201845.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Countach Turbo badge gradient.svg
    6.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Much thanks from all you guys. I am feeling better today. I did try searching through discover mode on the game, but i could't find the countach decals, neither could i find the proper turbo decal used on the LP400 Twin Turbo. So i just had to use the closest turbo decal i could find.

Last night, i had another good go and decided not to give up when i nearly did. So this time, i started working from the inside out rather than slapping one big shape and having to mask around the outside outline of the NACCA duct.

Soo, i actually used 95 decals in total for both sides of the car just for this NACCA duct. And i can say although i used a lot of decals i am really pleased at my / this small achievement. In partly in much thanks for you guys helping me out.

I only wish Kaz would add the LP400 version of that car with the wing, because it is clearly different so we could make the car closer to the original Twin Turbo. It must be really the rarest car in the world if there is only 1 in red and the other in black.

You can use some of my decals if you like they work well. Did them a while back but never finished the car. For the sides you just need to fill 1 spot that the NACA decal doesn't cover but it's not a big deal. Works well for special paints.

Wow thanks so much. How do i get these into my game. Can i add you or follow you from discover in gt sport ? Otherwise i don't know how to get these into the game.

Hey again guys. Here is my last nights attempt. 92 decals. And its still not as neat around the edges as i would like. Yoy can clearly see the outline in white and some areas almost lool like their is paint missing.

20190920_134528.jpg
20190920_134446.jpg

You go here, sign in with your PSN details and upload them.

Thanks Daan

Chassis 1121160… the long lost… 1980 Lamborghini Countach LP400S “Low Body” Turbo built by Max Bobnar.

Lamborghini-Countach-Turbo-LP400-S-Low-Body-1-of-14-970x647.jpg
Lamborghini-Countach-Turbo-LP400-S-Low-Body-6-of-14-970x647.jpg
Lamborghini-Countach-Turbo-LP400-S-Low-Body-4-of-14.jpg
1980-Lamborghini-Countach-S-Turbo1-copy.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
3404601894_c1be49e3b3.jpg
You're welcome! Look for #countach and #turbo and you'll find them.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/fr/gtsport/user/profile/1036442/gallery/all

I believe there was a LP400S and a LP500S. 1 in red, 1 in black. Kaz and PD please please please add this model of Lamborghini to the game. :(

You are a life saver!! This could save me a LOT of decals less than 92! I already added them to my collection with a link and hopefully follow you too. Now i just need to work on the top ducts because they too were black.

I don't know that anyone else on the game worldwide has tried to recreate as close a replica as possible of the stunning red Lamborghini LP400 Twin Turbo. Again i wish PD had added that model aswell as this 25th Ann model. It just looks better than the 25th Ann model in imo.

9623359.jpg
9623357.jpg
0q0a2p4n4vg01.jpg
9623361.jpg
Lamborghini-Countach-Turbo-LP400-S-Low-Body-1-of-14-970x647.jpg
DLEDMV-2K19-Lamborghini-Countach-Twinturbo-Red-Max-Bobnar-003.jpg
The top ducts are easy to do, I needed 5 square decals per side.
I wish i knew what the exact colour was for this special lamborghini. I ended up using R1 Candy Metallic. But if there is a more accurate colour, i'll take it.

Now if PD could kindly add this model or the low body with the body kit. This would be amazing.

Last edited:
I used also a red candy metallic and put 2 or 3 transparent layers on top to darken it a bit.
I love these partially opaque decals. I created many in several increments (from 2% to 50%) which may be used in combos to achieve desired coverage level. These combos also can be equal opacity but different colors for a multi colored infusion. I made this watermelon Beetle that resembles the color change paints appearing as mild pink & mild green. In game preview mode really needed to appreciate it.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/5908727193445367849

They look awesome over GTS metallic paint, especially neutral like W & K. The look over GTS candy paint is unpredictable, the optics often produce a different result than expected, still cool.

I have a few black or near black pearl cars which a highly transparent decal lends an extremely subtle dark shade like black cherry from a fairly vivid red or pink. I also have a couple dark chocolate examples from layering an orange decal.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/8214571226490765857

Another surprise was their application to the PZW & PZK Colorshift paints from the Special color selection. Again, in game view is best.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/5773695066717553697
This example uses different colored decals as mentioned earlier.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1562477/1/6197054247182303793

These decals also can be used for surfaces which are not gloss paint where cars enable. The surface detail texture of unpainted matte, fabric & CFRP is preserved, even though this generally is unrecognizable unless parked in close proximity.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...racePhoto/photo/1562477/3/8368348916510393872
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...racePhoto/photo/1562477/3/8512464102438765080

Keep experimenting!

Here is my last nights attempt. And its still not as neat around the edges as i would like. Yoy can clearly see the outline in white and some areas almost lool like their is paint missing.
It looks pretty good. This likely undetectable as speed & distance. Your preference matters here.

For a memory refresh, the original color was white? I wonder how the white shows if you painted the car red and then applied black decals.

For a memory refresh, the original color was white? I wonder how the white shows if you painted the car red and then applied black decals.
The car is R1 Candy Metallic.
These kind of « white » or « silver » lines often appears around the decals when using Metallic, Chrome or Candy special colours. The rendering engine might struggle at the junction of two different textures (although it usually works fine with Matte and Fluo paints)

View attachment 852343
The car is R1 Candy Metallic.
These kind of « white » or « silver » lines often appears around the decals when using Metallic, Chrome or Candy special colours. The rendering engine might struggle at the junction of two different textures (although it usually works fine with Matte and Fluo paints)

Ahh Soul Red looks like a darker version of R1 Candy Metallic. Soul Red is also Metallic.

Valencia Red Pearl is also nice but its pearl not Metallic. These two, Soul and Valencia seem to be the closest which hides the ugly white outlines of the decals.

Last edited:
I think i found the right colour. Rouge Rubi. Because watching VinWiki video on youtube, the car has a cherry red look to it aswell..

EDIT:

I think i will leave it like this. I can't seem to do much better. What do you guys think ?

Before

20190920_185558.jpg

After. Rouge Ruby.

20190920_220217.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure where to stick the turbo badge.

So i found a lamborghini badge, but i couldn't find anyone who has made the countach badge.

Last edited:
Back