Decal Uploader Size

• Thread starter AdamA998
  • 13 comments

AdamA998

(Banned)
United States
United States
How are people reducing the sizes of their SVG files? I want to upload some decals for one of my cars and I can't seem to do this right using Adobe Illustrator. I don't think it's my pictures because the ones uploaded and shared online seem pretty large or colorful. Would appreciate a really simple tutorial on this.

Paths/Points are your problem with size. Simplify the paths, remove redundant points use less colours (no gradients) and you will see the file size drop. Do not use compound paths or mask as it will cause the logo to error up and jumble the logos/decals whatevers. SVG is also like code so open it up in a text editor and clean the code or run it through many online SVG compressors.

Paths/Points are your problem with size. Simplify the paths, remove redundant points use less colours (no gradients) and you will see the file size drop. Do not use compound paths or mask as it will cause the logo to error up and jumble the logos/decals whatevers. SVG is also like code so open it up in a text editor and clean the code or run it through many online SVG compressors.

Thanks! It's a bit too complicated for me as I'm no computer guy, but I've found some sites with premade vectors/svg files and using another site to reduce them in size. Problem now is I'm getting a server error while trying to upload these decals on GT community site.

Are the files actually under 15 KB in size when you download them from the optimizer? I know the page I was using displayed the compressed size by default in the results window but that is not the actual file size.

Are the files actually under 15 KB in size when you download them from the optimizer? I know the page I was using displayed the compressed size by default in the results window but that is not the actual file size.

Yeah when I upload they are all smaller than 15 kb but I was getting a server error message.

Yeah when I upload they are all smaller than 15 kb but I was getting a server error message.

Mind uploading them here or too google drive and sharing them here? I'd take a look when I get home. I'm pretty sure your decal will probably have to many details. I've gave up on a few decals because of this including a fallout boy one.

Mind uploading them here or too google drive and sharing them here? I'd take a look when I get home. I'm pretty sure your decal will probably have to many details. I've gave up on a few decals because of this including a fallout boy one.

I deleted them all last night, but I'll get a couple more tonight from a site with vectors and convert them to svg files. When I download them after converting it shows me they are smaller than 15kb but won't upload.

What do you use to make them smaller? mine are 43kb

I am downloading vectors that are already svg and converting them even further using a website, just google search convert to svg should be the first site. They don't come out super detailed though. :)

I suffer the same problem in file size... I download a png file. work on that in gimp2 and safe as a 14kb png file. Open it in Inkscape and tryed immediately to save under as a svg file. Wop bigger than 15kb. Is ther someone who might create a how to thread?! Would be very appreciated

EDIT
It worked. But only on monochrome colors. File size is still too big when the picture is coloured

Last edited:
How are people reducing the sizes of their SVG files? I want to upload some decals for one of my cars and I can't seem to do this right using Adobe Illustrator. I don't think it's my pictures because the ones uploaded and shared online seem pretty large or colorful. Would appreciate a really simple tutorial on this.

Trace them manually and break up the logos into multiple parts

If you want to reduce the size, you need to use software( like inkscape) to do that.if you have a .svg file a bit bigger than 15kb,go to https://kraken.io and it'll reduce the size automatically. Just drag and drop the file into the box and it shows you the end result then download the reduced file.

In Illustrator, remove any unneeded layer from the document. If you import a bitmap you want to trace, remove that when you're finished.
When you finally have what you want, copy the whole image into a completely new Illustrator document, before saving it as a SVG file. I've noticed that does wonders.

Also helps a lot to simplify a path with 99% accuracy. Takes away a lot of excess points, without influencing the shape of the image too much.

When all else fails, separate the image in layers and upload those one by one. It's a bit of a drag to composite all those layers together again in the Livery editor, but it's a technique that works for more complex images.

Back