Decals and custom paint

• Thread starter Bullwinkle
  • 4 comments
United States
United States
Grand_Slammin
I’m trying livery editing for the first time and so far I’m enjoying it. I’m trying to paint my front and rear ground effects a complimentary color that matches the body paint, but when I try to change the color it doesn’t offer the custom paint colors that I used. This seems like a really obvious option that just isn’t available. Is there a way to utilize those custom paint colors, or do I just have to select the closest stock color available? is there any other workaround?

That's something we've wanted for 5 years now.
What you could try is painting the car metallic silver for example and then lower the decal's opacity and change their color.

Dang, how is this not possible?! I'm pretty sure in real life I've seen people paint their car liveries more than one color . . .

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure in real life I've seen people paint their car liveries more than one color . . .
In real life you can also put stickers on wheels and front windows, racing drivers use 100% of their throttle, don't brake at turn exits for no apparent reason or stop their car in the middle of the track and clouds move at a little less than 3000kph :lol:

I’m trying livery editing for the first time and so far I’m enjoying it. I’m trying to paint my front and rear ground effects a complimentary color that matches the body paint, but when I try to change the color it doesn’t offer the custom paint colors that I used. This seems like a really obvious option that just isn’t available. Is there a way to utilize those custom paint colors, or do I just have to select the closest stock color available? is there any other workaround?
A lot of the aero parts on most cars doesn't take paint colour changes, so if you want to match winglets, diffusers, front lips, etc, you often have to apply a shape decal over that area and change the colour. Obvious limitation is you can only use solid colours (not metallics, colour shifts, etc) but advantage is you can apply any decal at all (so you could have camouflage front lip, for eg.

On the flipside, there's a load of cars where the aero parts change when you apply a new body colour, which can be undesirable - in those cases, if you want to retain the original carbon finishes, apply a decal to the body without changing the paint and you can control it that way. Same limitations apply as above though.

One example: I was working on the Escudo earlier. I want to make a black car with forged carbon details (including all the aero parts) but applying any paint finishes only applies to the bodywork and leaves the headlight covers, front lip, carbon window panels, etc. all the original bare carbon twill finish. It's an annoying trait we can't always work around.

Back