Deep Forest II

  • Thread starter Thread starter milefile
  • 21 comments
  • 765 views
Messages
10,832
I love this track. But I have a problem on it that I don't have on the regular Deep Forest...

After turn 6 (?... after the first, long tunnel) the track gets a little twisty, sorta like a stretched out slolom with some sharper turns throught the short tunnels.

I have been driving my GT One Road Car in the Arcade Race and having a hard time keeping up with the 787B. The problem seems to be in weight transfer through the twisty bits. The 787B seems like it's on rails whereas I skid from side to side, screwing up my line. By the time I'm heading down the hill to the hairpin I'm behind. I'd like to not have to depend on top speed to catch back up in the straight. Funny I don't have this problem at all on the regular Deep Forest.

I'm able to keep up in this car on pretty much every other track. What's my problem?
 
I too have some difficulty through there (around the area called the Bus Stop, where there is that little shed off to the outside (left side on DF2). It does seem as if the AI knows the key - but I've not had much success copying them, either.

I think it really boils down to the initial turn at the bottom of the first long downhill. Brake earlier than you think necessary so that you stay in shape through the long right, but really the fast way through the following turns is to be slightly out of control through the little wiggle leading up to the first short tunnel.

There is a funny little crest inside the first short tunnel, so make sure you stay to the middle/right and start your left steering input at the tunnel entrance, before you brake. The car needs to be settled before you apply the brakes or it gets very squirrely in that tunnel. You can pick up time against the AI between the tunnels by holding a tight line rather than drifting wide like they do; ease out to the right side as you near the second short tunnel, and take a later apex than they do through the deep left just after the second short tunnel. The inside of that turn is cambered pretty deeply (and the outside is cambered against you) so you can take advantage of that sometimes.

Hope this helps. It's fun but not my strongest track.
 
WHAT'S THE DEAL???

TO: Luxy, milefile & neon_duke,
:D Is this EXCELLENT QUESTION & ANSWER DAY or what??? Very refreshing topics, let's see some more eh???...UB57
:D
 
I struggled a bit at DF II until (probably by accident) I found a better line.

At the double apex right at the bottom of the hill, I took the 2nd apex later than I had been. The resultant line allows me to drive on full throttle up the hill with most cars right up to the braking point for the sharp left hander after the second tunnel.

My apologies to those who already do this.
 
Originally posted by UB57
WHAT'S THE DEAL???

TO: Luxy, milefile & neon_duke,
Is this EXCELLENT QUESTION & ANSWER DAY or what??? Very refreshing topics, let's see some more eh???...UB57
Well, c'mon, UB, let's have your input too! Two great questions in one day... unheard of.
;)
 
OK, ok,... here's a shot:

Commin down the hill (with the mountain on the left), you want to hug the wall to the left. Take the right faster than you'd expect, so that the car will slide over to the concrete rumble on the left. If you scrub the rumble correctly, it will pop the rear out enough for you to duck inside on the following right, hitting the rumble strip and dirt if possible. Angle youself at the top of the hill so that your rleft side hits the dirt and your right side is iniside the white lien, but NOT in the dirt. Iif you hit that correctly, you'll have only a small adjustment to the right before entering the tunnel at the bottom of the hill. Make sure your as far rigth as possible when entering the teunnel,.. and hit your brakes hard, aiming at the leftside corner of the exit in the tunnel. The car will slide slightly, letting you take a minor drifting angle through the sweeping left, taking it as far inside as possible, so that when you exit, you barely miss the tunnel on the right that will be fast approaching.

Once into the tunnel,. brake again and angle to the left, you want to take the little dip as far into the rumble strip as possible , to have a good setup for the next right.

Hiiting the rumble strips to make the car over-aggrevated helps a lot on this course. 👍

Good luck racing:cool:
brian
 
Alright, so I've got the bit from the entrance of the first short tunnel through after the second one pretty well, then.

But how do you avoid going up the outside dirt bank at the Bus Stop? That seems to be a problem for me in either direction.
 
Hey neon_duke,
:D I'm readin' & learnin'!!! I really like this track but seldom do well on it, especially in this section. When I'm able to contribute something as intelligent as these posts, you'll hear from me!!!...UB57
:D
 
Hey UB57,.. I have some replays for DF2,... fast cars and slow cars,... do you want them?
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
Alright, so I've got the bit from the entrance of the first short tunnel through after the second one pretty well, then.

But how do you avoid going up the outside dirt bank at the Bus Stop? That seems to be a problem for me in either direction.

I try to take hug the inside of that corner as close as possible, even brushing the dirt. I find when I don't I end up in the dirt on the left, or hitting the bus stop, if I'm following your question.

Thanks for the help so far eveybody.
 
Originally posted by Red Eye Racer
OK, ok,... here's a shot:

Commin down the hill (with the mountain on the left), you want to hug the wall to the left. Take the right faster than you'd expect, so that the car will slide over to the concrete rumble on the left. If you scrub the rumble correctly, it will pop the rear out enough for you to duck inside on the following right, hitting the rumble strip and dirt if possible. Angle youself at the top of the hill so that your rleft side hits the dirt and your right side is iniside the white lien, but NOT in the dirt. Iif you hit that correctly, you'll have only a small adjustment to the right before entering the tunnel at the bottom of the hill. Make sure your as far rigth as possible when entering the teunnel,.. and hit your brakes hard, aiming at the leftside corner of the exit in the tunnel. The car will slide slightly, letting you take a minor drifting angle through the sweeping left, taking it as far inside as possible, so that when you exit, you barely miss the tunnel on the right that will be fast approaching.

Once into the tunnel,. brake again and angle to the left, you want to take the little dip as far into the rumble strip as possible , to have a good setup for the next right.

Hiiting the rumble strips to make the car over-aggrevated helps a lot on this course. 👍

Good luck racing:cool:
brian

Would I be correct in summarizing this as meaning keep: as straight through that section as possible, ever so slightly cutting the corners, within OLR rules of course.
 
Can ANYONE here make NTSC mpegs? I've got a few replays there, and I've been pretty successful in racing there,...

Yes mile,.. hold as far right up the hill as possible, then angle across the top of the hill,. cuttin inside the white line (there is still concrete there, it is within the rules).
 
Originally posted by Red Eye Racer
Whats the Bus Stop?
It's the part you're talking about here, I think:
Take the right faster than you'd expect, so that the car will slide over to the concrete rumble on the left. If you scrub the rumble correctly, it will pop the rear out enough for you to duck inside on the following right
It's the part between the turn at the bottom of the rock hill, and before you start climbing through the esses leading into the middle tunnel. If you look on the outside of the track there is a little utility shed thing there that looks like a bus shelter, at one end of the long dirt bank along the short little chute between the two turns.

If I try to carry decent speed through this section, I always go way up on that bank, in either direction.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke

If I try to carry decent speed through this section, I always go way up on that bank, in either direction.


Kepp your speed up as much as possible, hit the bus curb and let off the gas at the same time, while turning right. When done correctly, it will open up the cars rear end, offering you an inside line to the right-side opf the track while going up the hill.

You almost lose it when doing this, so be careful,... make sure the back right tire doesnt go too far into the bus curb, or you'll have 3 tires off.
 
Cool, thanks. This section is one where Mario Andretti's words are really true: "If you're 100% in control of the car, you're just not going fast enough."
 
Yep,. I do my fastest racing, especcially in rally, when I have virtually no control over the vehicle,... except at crutial moments.
 
THANX RED EYE RACER,
:D Super replays!!! If any of you need a "Graphic" illustration of how best to drive this corner & in fact the whole course, view these replays!!! I now know there's not much wrong w/my line, just need better execution (as usual) & more brakes. I guess I'm really gonna have to fix or replace my Logitech Wheel. Thanx again "RER" & to you too milefile for starting a great thread...UB57
:D
 
Well I tried out these techniques and have sorta come up with a combination of them. I'm still taking the first corner, before the bus stop, a little to close to do what RER said, since I'm not that far to the left until after it.

Funny how you can know what to do but your instincts make you do the same mistake over and over.
 
Originally posted by milefile
Funny how you can know what to do but your instincts make you do the same mistake over and over.
Yup. In a recent comp I was doing involving the RGT at Deep Forest (front ways, not reverse) I braked too late for the first turn about 20 laps out of 30, though it seemed like the right time as I was approaching. The other 10 I really made an effort to deliberately brake early, and wound up cutting across the inside grass... :irked:
 
I have a million examples of this. Turn one on Midfield. The turn just before the hilly section on Complex String. The turn just after the box on Cote. On and on ad nauseum.
 
Back