Default gamepad settings vs. 0-100 deadzones

Mexico
Mexico
Now that I've been doing the bounty hunter event, I was thinking if my lap times would be better or worse depending on the gamepad settings.
I usually run with assists off except the braking line, and manual without clutch, and I´ve been using the 0-100 deadzones since Forza 4, but to my surprise I was tenths quicker with the default deadzones.
Now I'm thinking that maybe there is not much difference between default and 0-100 deadzones (at least regarding my driving habits), do you think wheel users benefit the most from 0-100 deadzones? Or maybe I need to improve my driving to get the most of it?
Another point in favor of Forza against PC2 would be that you really don't have to touch gamepad settings to have a good time from the start! :D

I benefit from the 0-100 as it gives you more precision with throttle and steering modulation, no matter what. Couple that with the joystick extenders I use, it makes steering very easy. Default left too much dead space upon initial inputs, which I always hated.

I wouldn't benefit from 0-100 deadzones as I use a G920 wheel; the brake pedal is so stiff I have deceleration set to 0-60. I also drive all cars with a manual clutch (including LMPs) so I keep clutch set at 0-60 as well since gear changes are so rapid I can't guarantee I'll fully engage the clutch each time with a 0-100 setting.

0-100 is the most linear, technically, but I've discovered via a broken(slightly) controller, that inside deadzone basically doesn't work. If you set it to 80-100, a controller leaning slightly right, will still steer your car slightly right. It barely changes anything.
Outside deadzone is a different story. A small (relatively) change makes a noticeable difference.

I didn't like how 100 made it feel like the first 20-30% was practically a deadzone, and I like it much better at 90.
I wouldn't benefit from 0-100 deadzones as I use a G920 wheel; the brake pedal is so stiff I have deceleration set to 0-60. I also drive all cars with a manual clutch (including LMPs) so I keep clutch set at 0-60 as well since gear changes are so rapid I can't guarantee I'll fully engage the clutch each time with a 0-100 setting.
I use 0-95 on the wheel, 0-80 on the brakes, and 5-70 for the clutch.
I adjusted the clutch to where a well setup clutch is in real life. (not needing to hit the floor to fully disengage it)

I bring wheel rotation down to 810, and linearity also down to around 45. The deadzone of 0-95, and rotation at 810 quicken the response, the linearity lowers the ratio of lower steering angles so I'm not spinning cars around from only 10 degrees of wheel rotation. It also quickens later rotation so I don't have to steer quite as far to reach maximum grip.

I use 0-95 on the wheel, 0-80 on the brakes, and 5-70 for the clutch.
I adjusted the clutch to where a well setup clutch is in real life. (not needing to hit the floor to fully disengage it)

I bring wheel rotation down to 810, and linearity also down to around 45. The deadzone of 0-95, and rotation at 810 quicken the response, the linearity lowers the ratio of lower steering angles so I'm not spinning cars around from only 10 degrees of wheel rotation. It also quickens later rotation so I don't have to steer quite as far to reach maximum grip.

Obviously I meant disengage the clutch there, but I'm sure you knew that.
Interesting settings you've listed, I'm never entirely happy with mine but just use it "as is" since I'm used to it. I might try yours and see how it feels as I certainly suffer from that cars spinning round from a tiny bit of rotation issue (again, I just deal with it).

Obviously I meant disengage the clutch there, but I'm sure you knew that.
Interesting settings you've listed, I'm never entirely happy with mine but just use it "as is" since I'm used to it. I might try yours and see how it feels as I certainly suffer from that cars spinning round from a tiny bit of rotation issue (again, I just deal with it).
I'm guilty of changing it from car to car sometimes too. It seems in the Mustang 350R I need to dial everything waaayyyy back. I'm at 900 rotation, and linearity at 45, and it's still really twitchy.

Back