Default Tires on Old Racing Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter szejok666
  • 5 comments
  • 961 views
Messages
129
Poland
Poland
Messages
Szejok666
I've driven recently old racing machines like Ferrari 330, both GT40 Fords, Chapparal etc. and I started to wonder about their grip. Maybe I'm wrong, but they feel too grippy on racing hards. When I drove stock cars mostly before I didn't have that problem, thought they behave quite natural. But for example Ford GT Mark IV on its default racing hards looks quite unrealistic in the corners, especially in replays, it feels too fast in the bends. I don't think that racing slicks from late sixties were that good.
What is your opinion about that?
 
I agree. I actually take those cars and throw them on a set of Sport Soft tires and it works wonderfully. Seems to be a lot more fun and sometimes a challenge. Turning off ABS makes it even more fun. :) Try it out and see what you think.
 
In fact I just did :)
Everything works fine except for one thing: 1969 Ford GT40 on sports soft is starting to behave like 🤬. Tail-happiness of that thing is even more challenging than Ferrari F40's. On the other hand Jaguar XJ13 and Ford Mark IV rides beautifully on sports soft.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What is your opinion about that?
Most cars (with the exception of modern racing vehicles) in GT5 benefit in realism by putting tires of one category lower than stock, in my opinion.
 
Most cars (with the exception of modern racing vehicles) in GT5 benefit in realism by putting tires of one category lower than stock, in my opinion.

I'm not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure old Race cars have too grippy tires set by default. Inspired by GT :) I'm currently watching 1971 Le Mans movie with Steve McQueen. I know that taking knowledge from a movie seems not very bright, but it seems that at that time there were only 2 types of racing tires that were used: dry - which weren't actually slicks (they were treaded) and worked in soft rain, and wet - for standing water.
 
There was a thread about low grip driving a few weeks back there was a bit of discussion about this. Sports Hard or Comfort Soft apparently are close to the modern Dunlop tyres used for period racers. On iPod now so a bit hard to do a link.

I tend to use SH on these cars unless I'm competing against modern race cars.
 
Back