Degree of Clutch Control/Input

• Thread starter radix023
  • 8 comments
United States
ATL
radix023
So I tried doing a search on this but came up with so many results that were not GT Sport specific I felt it a waste of time...

I'm considering upgrading to wheel/pedals etc for the full experience, but I can't seem to find specific information on GT Sport and the pedal offerings regarding partial clutch input. I've never owned a car that wasn't manual transmission and power input is a combination of throttle and clutch application. Does GT Sport model this accurately? WRT wheels we know with ridiculous specificity the degree of precision available but I can't really find anything about clutch input. How many degrees of clutch engagement does GT Sport support? Do all pedal outfits support the full range? I've got $2k+ to do this right, but if the clutch is a simple on-off (binary input) then I don't see it as worth it.

If you have experience and knowledge, please chime in and let me know. I can't be the only one who cares about this.

Thanks in advance to those with constructive input.

So I tried doing a search on this but came up with so many results that were not GT Sport specific I felt it a waste of time...

I'm considering upgrading to wheel/pedals etc for the full experience, but I can't seem to find specific information on GT Sport and the pedal offerings regarding partial clutch input. I've never owned a car that wasn't manual transmission and power input is a combination of throttle and clutch application. Does GT Sport model this accurately? WRT wheels we know with ridiculous specificity the degree of precision available but I can't really find anything about clutch input. How many degrees of clutch engagement does GT Sport support? Do all pedal outfits support the full range? I've got $2k+ to do this right, but if the clutch is a simple on-off (binary input) then I don't see it as worth it.

If you have experience and knowledge, please chime in and let me know. I can't be the only one who cares about this.

Thanks in advance to those with constructive input.
A someone who has driven manual cars for over 25 years I can honestly say that GTS clutch model is one of the worst and most innacurate around.

The clutch needs to be fully depressed to work, and you can't have the throttle applied even slightly or it will force a miss shift.

AC and PC2 both get it right, GTS most certainly doesn't.

Also of note is that the clutch / h-pattern has been disabled in sport mode following the latest patch due to unfair advantage, so also pointless to purchase right now if that is where you get your fun...

I’m not saying PD have it right but: it’s very hard to properly replicate the experience of a manual shift in sim as there are a couple of things missing. The first thing is the inertia, in real life you can physically feel the car taking up drive, the feel of acceleration as you lift the clutch is very important to getting a nice shift.
The second thing is the hardware, the shifter it’s self. A real life manual shifter has gates that only open when the clutch is depressed or the revs are matched; if you gently push against that gate and match the revs you can sometimes get a shift without using any clutch, I don’t recommend doing that though just in case you kill your gearbox. This has never been replicated in a sim shifter to my knowledge, it’s probably very niche and expensive if it does.

Has anyone tried shortening the throw of the clutch pedal? I know on thrustmaster it calibrates the pedals after they are pushed to the limits for a second, not sure about G29? I have a shortened throw on my stiff brake mod and I still get 100% braking in the game. I wondered if this applies clutch too? I’ve been meaning to try it out but I’ve not got round to it yet, a shorter throw it will bring the bite point further up the pedal.

Back