DeLorean S2 (04')

  • Thread starter Thread starter AdrenalineSRX
  • 56 comments
  • 18,817 views
Umm I know the DMC 12 has a big fan base and really shot to fame after back to the future and all, but still am I the only one who can't understnad all the hype about this car?! Ok, it's just my personal opinion, but still it was in all fairness a crap car (well performance wise), which in theory should of been a great car which never materialised. I personally can't see anything to get excited here over......... Is it just a massive cult icon over in America then?
 
Jedi2016
I think the word is "Satin", rather than "Satan". :)

Ah, yeah my bad :)
 
wee_man
Umm I know the DMC 12 has a big fan base and really shot to fame after back to the future and all, but still am I the only one who can't understnad all the hype about this car?! Ok, it's just my personal opinion, but still it was in all fairness a crap car (well performance wise), which in theory should of been a great car which never materialised. I personally can't see anything to get excited here over......... Is it just a massive cult icon over in America then?

And how many other coll cars are just icons that are not that great to drive?
The point is that in GT4 with all the mods you should be able to do, you could MAKE it a better car. ;)
 
wee_man
Umm I know the DMC 12 has a big fan base and really shot to fame after back to the future and all, but still am I the only one who can't understnad all the hype about this car?! Ok, it's just my personal opinion, but still it was in all fairness a crap car (well performance wise), which in theory should of been a great car which never materialised. I personally can't see anything to get excited here over......... Is it just a massive cult icon over in America then?


They're one of my 3 favorite cars, and I'll fully agree with you that they are rubbish. However, they have character, style (IMO), and with DMC's updates, are actually decent to drive. Those characteristics are very very high on some people's lists - otherwise not a single person would drive a classic car, we'd all have something modern that does absolutely everything better.

Also, consider that in 1981 when the Delorean debuted, it wasn't as "bad" as it is now - 130hp now is pathetic, but in 1981 a 5.7 litre V8 Corvette only managed 190hp...

I sincerely hope that we see the original DMC-12 in the game. I do have to wonder which car is referred to as an 04 model though. That sheet someone scanned a week or two ago from a Japanese mag that had a huge car listing did, in fact, list the DMC as a 2004 model. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they are referring to an updated DMC-12 or the stillborn fantasy car...
 
We've been through that. Chances are, that's NOT the "S2". What most of the sites keep forgetting to mention is that that concept design is over twenty years old. John Z planned to make it at some point, but all those plans were before the company went under. John Z is no longer involved with the DeLorean Motor Company, so that design is probably just as dead.

I think we might as well stop speculating about it.. chances are, we won't know what the hell the "S2" is until the game comes out. Which is in... sixteen days, in Japan. We should have more answers then.
 
No, there is no proof that the car in that picture ISN'T it. DeLorean HAS been trying to rebuild his car company in the past few years, this has been confirmed by quite a few car magazines.
 
Be that as it may, it won't be DMC. Go to their site, you'll see no mention whatsoever of John Z. It's my understanding that the company was removed from his control during the fiasco back in the 80's, that DMC and John DeLorean are now two completely separate entities, not affiliated with each other. And the license to Polyphony Digital came from DMC.
 
"It will cost close to one million dollars and will be powered by a 1250 horsepower engine!"

Right..

Also, if it looked like that, I'd, erm...kick it.

That monstrosity better not be in GT4
 
He was having a hard time coming up with capital to keep the company running, so he did a little drug-running on the side. Got caught. Lost the company, went to prison. Apparently, he was using the cars themselves to smuggle drugs, hiding it in the cars he was sending to America, that's why the company was taken from him.
 
Jedi2016
He was having a hard time coming up with capital to keep the company running, so he did a little drug-running on the side. Got caught. Lost the company, went to prison. Apparently, he was using the cars themselves to smuggle drugs, hiding it in the cars he was sending to America, that's why the company was taken from him.

Actually, John DeLorean was arrested for conspiracy of money laundering involving dirty money supposedly in an effort to keep his car company afloat in an elaborate government sting operation. Aside from 10 days spent raising sufficient bail, he never went to jail as he was aquitted of all charges due to entrapment.

The drugs-in-the-cars thing is a myth.

The company was closed because of financial problems, not because of the laundering scandal (the governement pretty much owned the plant, and they weren't happy for it to continue)

source: http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/about.htm
 
Either way, the result's the same. John Z is out of the car business, and DMC isn't making any cars in the forseeable future.
 
First screenshot of this car by Alzard in post 343 of the thread "GT4 @ AGS Hong Kong".

Interesting to find out it is a RR car. But why could it be shown as built in 2004?? I hope PD did not put a second joke about the future in the game, besides that Nike thing.

explodedview.gif
 
The car's been upgraded, is why it's an '04. Note the horsepower, 200ps. That would roughly equate to the 197hp of the upgraded/refurbished car you can buy from DMC today. Hence the new model year. But it's quite plainly a DMC-12. The "S2" is probably just a designation that it's been upgraded.

Here's the pic, perspective fixed:
 

Attachments

  • delorean1.jpg
    delorean1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 190
S2 = Series 2 in my book.
 
Jedi2016
The car's been upgraded, is why it's an '04. Note the horsepower, 200ps. That would roughly equate to the 197hp of the upgraded/refurbished car you can buy from DMC today. Hence the new model year. But it's quite plainly a DMC-12. The "S2" is probably just a designation that it's been upgraded.

Here's the pic, perspective fixed:
That sounds like a very acceptable answer for the year of construction, although it could be a car that has been tuned within GT4 like e.g. the BMW V12 we saw before.
Thanks Jedi!
 
Jedi2016
The car's been upgraded, is why it's an '04. Note the horsepower, 200ps. That would roughly equate to the 197hp of the upgraded/refurbished car you can buy from DMC today. Hence the new model year. But it's quite plainly a DMC-12. The "S2" is probably just a designation that it's been upgraded.

Here's the pic, perspective fixed:
attachment.php

:) WOW talk about going back to the Future lol.
 
Boy am I happy this got confirmed at last. I was quite worried we wouldn't see the DMC-12 at all. I'm also happy it's a "true" version also rather than the sadly gutless car of the 80's.

However I have one problem. I hoped that I could pick it up as my first car at the very start of GT4 but it looks like I wont be able to as it'll cost a fair wedge. Still I hope to get plenty of use out of it.

Damn, soon I'm gonna have to write a to do list...
 
I did a research on the official DeLorean website, and I think S2 means "Stage-II", referring to the engine upgraded to 197 hp (instead of the original 130 hp).

The first phase of engine program, referred to as “Stage II”, has has impressive results, accomplished through a less restrictive coated and polished exhaust, a change in camshafts and other proven tuning techniques. It also includes the Nology Performance Ignition components as shown here. The new motor is emissions legal in 50 states, and retains the stock Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection system.
graph.jpg


So, the one in GT4 is a refurbished 2004 DeLorean.
 
:dopey: :dopey: :dopey: :dopey: :dopey:

YAY!

That's 2 of my 3 favorite cars confirmed in the game now :D Now I just need to see an '02 R-R Corniche...


l33tc4k30fd00m
However I have one problem. I hoped that I could pick it up as my first car at the very start of GT4 but it looks like I wont be able to as it'll cost a fair wedge. Still I hope to get plenty of use out of it.

I agree it will probably be out of the beginning price range, but where do you see the price of it?
 
Jedi2016
The car's been upgraded, is why it's an '04. Note the horsepower, 200ps. That would roughly equate to the 197hp of the upgraded/refurbished car you can buy from DMC today. Hence the new model year. But it's quite plainly a DMC-12. The "S2" is probably just a designation that it's been upgraded.

Here's the pic, perspective fixed:

Let's hope it will still be in the European version.
 
So... Where's the picture of the DMC-12? I hear people talking it's confirmed but is there a screenshot? I've been looking forever on here and I can't find one.

Whoops nevermind the picture loaded all of the sudden.
 
I can't wait to try the car out in GT4 to see how it compared to the real thing. I know a bit about these cars. I OWNED ONE FOR TWO YEARS!!..It was a dog when I first got it, but I had the engine blueprinted and a custom headder made and it woke it up a bit. Had a few problems with the hinge mechanisms on the doors getting really stiff, and the passengers door latch broke. But I couldn't pass up owning one of them. every time I drove it somewhere kids thought it was the BTTF car. I almost had the plates made up.
 
l33tc4k30fd00m
Just a guess. We've not been able to buy higher power new cars in any GT game ever. Including GT3.

...and a very reasonable guess as well. I agree it likely won't be within the beginner's price range, but I think that's likely more because of its (usually) fairly substantial real-life prices (rarity, uniqueness, etc) than because of power. Consider, 80's Supra Turbos have always been available to start with...
 
Back