Delusions of GT Grandeur

  • Thread starter Thread starter ironman44321
  • 21 comments
  • 1,895 views
Messages
1,033
So I've been thinking about a potential feature that although I haven't been able to find another thread about, I believe has been talked about on here before. I'm talking about the possibility of making your own cars.

Now, I know what you're thinking! "But they couldn't add that...people could make cars that PD don't have the licenses for." and to that I say nay! That's actually one of the main reasons I'm making this thread. I think I've come up with a pretty effective way to circumvent that problem without overly restricting the players control over what they make.

So here's my idea!

You start off by selecting a type of vehicle, whether it be a sedan, a wagon, an SUV, a coupe, ect. After that you would have a couple of basic designs of that type to start from and you could also have some other basic options like having a convertible rather than a coupe or a pickup rather than an SUV.

So once you've decided on what type of car you want to make you get to start playing around with the actual personalization of the car. So you get to do some basic NFS style selecting of different parts like mirrors and grills and bumpers and wheels and so on. More interestingly you get to start playing with proportions and the actual shape and size of the car. So if you decide you want the car to be longer or wider than the basic model you are free to make it that way or if you want a longer hood and shorter doors you have those options as well.

As you pick and choose parts and shape the car the way you want it you'll also pick the material you want certain parts made out of (steel, aluminium, Carbon Fiber) which will effect not only the performance of the car, but of the cost of the car (what? You thought they would be free?). Giving it an interestingly strategic aspect "is that CF hood really worth the extra money over the Aluminium?"

So once you've gotten the body of the car the way you want it you start working on all the parts that make it tick. You start by picking where the engine is (body type permitting) and which wheels will be driven. Working from there you go through and pick the rest of the mechanical parts that you want on the car. First and foremost would be the engine selection. Want a turbocharged inline 6? Or a NA V8? Then you go and choose the other mechanical parts such as the suspension and transmission. As with the body parts, choosing different options will affect both the performance and cost of the car you're creating.

Now it's time to tune the car and add the finishing touches. So you get the chance to hit the track in your new car for the first time and start figuring out how all the little details will come together. Figuring out you want the suspension to be set up and what you want for gear ratios and when you want the boost from your shiny new turbo to kick in. To finish up your car select any sort of visual flares you'd like and what colors the car should be available in. Then just save the car and enjoy!

Now here's the TLDR version!
  • Pick car body style
  • modify body
  • different materials affect performance and cost
  • pick mechanical components
  • tune car
  • add finishing visual touches
  • enjoy!
Think it's a good idea? Thinks it's awful and I should be banned from ever posting a thread again? Have any changes/additions to my idea? Let me know!
 
It was a feature in the original Sega GT in the same way you describe.

We already had those discussions BTW

It would be great and logical and will probably happen at some point.

I personaly thougt we will get that functionality with GT6, but I guess it didn't happen. Maybe GT7.

Also, this thread belongs in some other subforum.
 
It was a feature in the original Sega GT in the same way you describe.

We already had those discussions BTW

It would be great and logical and will probably happen at some point.

I personaly thougt we will get that functionality with GT6, but I guess it didn't happen. Maybe GT7.

Also, this thread belongs in some other subforum.

Yeah I mention that early on in the OP. I was just thinking about it recently and thought I'd post this thread. I'd love for it to happen, but I doubt it will be in GT7. I'd would flip out though.
 
No chances in GT6 or GT7 or GT8.
 
Care to explain why?

It is very complicated to build and model properly working code engine for such 'lego' type of game and the fact that Kaz doesn't want to add livery editor because the quality of visual aspect of the game won't be as high as his standards are, means he won't let you build cars as well.

Actually there was once a PC game which had pretty much exact features as OP (you) have mentioned. It was called Street Legal (made by Hungarian company Invictus) and it's successor Street Legal Racing: Redline

I remember mass of bugs and glitches, although the idea was really fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Legal_Racing:_Redline


http://youtu.be/95sfOm8oR90
 
Last edited:
YZF
It is very complicated to build and model properly working code engine for such 'lego' type of game and the fact that Kaz doesn't want to add livery editor because the quality of visual aspect of the game won't be as high as his standards are, means he won't let you build cars as well.

Actually there was once a PC game which had pretty much exact features as OP (you) have mentioned. It was called Street Legal (made by Hungarian company Invictus) and it's successor Street Legal Racing: Redline

I remember mass of bugs and glitches, although the idea was really fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Legal_Racing:_Redline

http://youtu.be/95sfOm8oR90

Yeah you have a point. I am inclined to agree mostly because I just think it would be really difficult to adapt the user created cars to work with the physics engine.
 
YZF
No chances in GT6 or GT7 or GT8.
If you're saying this because of technological limitations I disagree completely.

Sega GT, as mentioned already did it without any of the problems you mentioned, and you could quite possibly take it further than that without issue.

It would probably be helpful to hear from people who were editing cars in GT5 as they would know more about how the cars are represented in data. All car making would come down to would be giving the game your own data for cars (and it's be done in GT5). Visual modeling is the harder part, but there are simple solutions, like the one in Sega GT.
 
YZF
It is very complicated to build and model properly working code engine for such 'lego' type of game and the fact that Kaz doesn't want to add livery editor because the quality of visual aspect of the game won't be as high as his standards are, means he won't let you build cars as well.

Actually there was once a PC game which had pretty much exact features as OP (you) have mentioned. It was called Street Legal (made by Hungarian company Invictus) and it's successor Street Legal Racing: Redline

I remember mass of bugs and glitches, although the idea was really fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Legal_Racing:_Redline


http://youtu.be/95sfOm8oR90
Disagree... You know carmageddon? You could build your own 3D cars with a great range of sizes and putting them to work. No glitches whatsoever.
Same for lots of mod-able games. All you need in the case of the console, is to put lower quality cars and this way it wont freeze or something.
Just because this game you mentioned had bugs/glitches, doesnt mean all the games will.
 
If you're saying this because of technological limitations I disagree completely.

Sega GT, as mentioned already did it without any of the problems you mentioned, and you could quite possibly take it further than that without issue.

It would probably be helpful to hear from people who were editing cars in GT5 as they would know more about how the cars are represented in data. All car making would come down to would be giving the game your own data for cars (and it's be done in GT5). Visual modeling is the harder part, but there are simple solutions, like the one in Sega GT.

Theoretically everything is possible, but in practice, Sega GT and GT6 are from different worlds. And as i said, knowing PD's philosophy, own building of cars is IMHO not likely at all...

I'd say maximum we could get (and some of it we have now): wheels, wings, body kits, racing modification. That's about it.
 
I would be happy with an equivalent of NFS's autosculpt.
Take your car to GT Auto, install an aero/body part then you can adjust the part itself to your liking, also affecting the Aero performance of the car.
 
YZF
And as i said, knowing PD's philosophy, own building of cars is IMHO not likely at all...

Quoting Kaz
“Yes, I’d like to get it to a point where you can make your own custom cars. The issue is that would be really complex to do, but it is something I really want to do, to make a professional version of Gran Turismo.”

Maybe GT9 in 2020?
 
It's a good idea, a great idea in fact if it's accompanied by a livery editor. However, like all good ideas related to GT there's the same caveat which is I don't want PD devoting resources to these bells and whistles until the core of the game is optimized. AI, sounds, physics, tire model, graphics, various bugs and glitches etc. Yes, I know it's not the same guy that works on this feature as would work on AI or sounds, but he's paid with the same $$ and uses the same floor space, so get the core of the game humming before PD starts working on this stuff, however awesome it may be.
 
If I could make games, I'd be doing this myself. It's a great idea! (If I do say so myself.)

Automation, an in development game for PC, kind of does this, but is made by three or four people, and you won't be able to drive the cars. But still, combine that with Sega GT's implementation, and my own dream of a fully physically realised model, and the space of possibilities starts to take shape.

What's fun is that Kaz has thought about it; I don't know Kaz, but if he's anything like me, that's basically the same thing as starting work on it...
 
If I could make games, I'd be doing this myself. It's a great idea! (If I do say so myself.)

Automation, an in development game for PC, kind of does this, but is made by three or four people, and you won't be able to drive the cars. But still, combine that with Sega GT's implementation, and my own dream of a fully physically realised model, and the space of possibilities starts to take shape.

What's fun is that Kaz has thought about it; I don't know Kaz, but if he's anything like me, that's basically the same thing as starting work on it...


I couldn't remember the name of that game. Had alpha demo through another forum I use. Spent ages making different cars with crazy configurations/specs/outputs.
 
I play the beta version of Automation and it's nothing short of amazing. What for me was a particular standout is the engine building mode (the car designer mode still needs fleshing out for me, but it's still astonishing how many variations you can make out of such relatively few options). You can choose block and head material, technologies (variable valve timing, fuel injection type, catalytic converter), aspiration and even tune compression, valve timing, ignition timing and fuel mixture to suit, then put it on an engine dyno (is that what you call them?) to see how they perform. I know, it's a little too niche for a console game, but a man can dream, right?

Come to think of it, does Kaz play Automation? 💡
 
If I could make games, I'd be doing this myself. It's a great idea! (If I do say so myself.)

Automation, an in development game for PC, kind of does this, but is made by three or four people, and you won't be able to drive the cars. But still, combine that with Sega GT's implementation, and my own dream of a fully physically realised model, and the space of possibilities starts to take shape.

What's fun is that Kaz has thought about it; I don't know Kaz, but if he's anything like me, that's basically the same thing as starting work on it...

Automation is surprisingly advanced for the size of their team. The engine simulations are impressive and very accurate. They even have cooling and aerodynamics into the equation.

I think for Gran Turismo, something really in the scope of Sega GT (more simple and strightforward?)... the Carrozzeria feature was the best part of that game (a shame the controls/physics were really bad).
 
Last edited:
If I could make games, I'd be doing this myself. It's a great idea! (If I do say so myself.)

Automation, an in development game for PC, kind of does this, but is made by three or four people, and you won't be able to drive the cars. But still, combine that with Sega GT's implementation, and my own dream of a fully physically realised model, and the space of possibilities starts to take shape.

What's fun is that Kaz has thought about it; I don't know Kaz, but if he's anything like me, that's basically the same thing as starting work on it...

That looks awesome! I think PD should just buy Automation and work it into GT...How perfect would that game be?
 
Vision Gran Deurismo follows the high-octane antics of the Critter Gitters Hunting Equipment Company, as owner Bob Woodcock and his merry band of redneck mechanics construct and modify some of the most bad-ass vehicles on GTPlanet; If you can dream it, Kaz can build it!
 
It will never happen in the GT series as long as they are so stuck to reality / rigid modelling that they are not willing or able to make a livery editor.

But it should be possible to make in another driving game, you'd have a car design feature much like character creation in RPGs or Fighting games.

It would be fun to make a mini hatch back with monster aero and a nuclear power plant.

Or a FWD Formula One car.
 
Back