Democrats vs. Republicans vs. What?

• Thread starter milefile
  • 23 comments
This was touched upon in another thread but I heard some news yesterday that really showed me the extent of a problem. The Arizona state legislature passed a law that required people show photo ID in order to vote. That seems like a good idea to me. This is one place where we want identity to be as certain as possible, and fraud to be as minimal as possible. Showing ID is one simple way to accomplish it.

But Hispanic lawmakers started whining about it saying it was discriminatory against Hispanics.

How?!

If you live in America and are old enough to vote you have to have an ID of some sort. You can't cash a check, drive, open a bank account... unless... unless your an illegal alien and work for cash. Then it's no problem.

So Democrat Governor Janet Napolitano vetoed it. She says Arizona has no voter fraud. Nice reason.

Democrats seem hell bent on legislated anarchy, where anything goes, as long as a huge bureaucracy "regulates" it, badly. They want to give everybody everything. They want to make law after law to correct the previous law that screwed over these people. But the new law screws over someone else. Hey, no problem, we'll just fix it with another law! It's a vicious cycle. Democrats threw reason out the window a long time ago. It is the Pity Party. It is sickening. I seriously don't know how they sleep at night.

Republicans want to shove morality down our throats. Enough has been said about that recently. But the liberal democrat is just as bad. Think anti SUV ads. Think affirmative action. Think illegal illegal immigration.

This country is in a quagmire of "discourse" over things that the government has no business dealing with, and the things they are supposed to deal with, are handled with badly from a perspective of unjustified guilt and pity. So I hope all the people who benefit from liberal policies can manage to keep their self respect knowing their existence is controlled by and attributable to a patronizing bureaucracy. How can they sleep at night?

We've got to get away from the 2 party system... there are too many viewpoints on too many subjects for only 2 parties.

Originally posted by danoff
We've got to get away from the 2 party system... there are too many viewpoints on too many subjects for only 2 parties.
Oh, no No NO! That's what "moderates" are for, right?

They might make it seem like the fighting has stopped and things are "getting done", but all that amounts to is compromising everything into something common, something mediocre. It is not an improvement.

Even if moderates worked, the problem is that voters' viewpoints can't be adequately represented by 2 parties. We've got lots of republicans and democrats the have been elected that don't really know which aspects of their platform their constituants support.

Originally posted by milefile

They might make it seem like the fighting has stopped and things are "getting done", but all that amounts to is compromising everything into something common, something mediocre. It is not an improvement.

But common and mediocre are mediums,... having a medium is the best way to keep the highest %'age of people happy.

IMO,... people with money are the only people who have any real power to do anything. BUT, those people that want to, wont for fear that they'll lose their investments once their investors think that they have 'medium' or 'modern' or 'new age' ideas.

As mile said,.. a vicious cycle,... but it all revolves around money,... no one has the sack to antie up and take the bull by the horns.

It reminds me of the image game some of us play. Take me for exapmle,... I'm a highly respected individual amongst my professional, hard-core christian coleagues. If they knew how I really felt about their religion,... they would think of me VERY differently, even though it doesnt effect my performance as a worker or a person.

People are too affraid what other people will think, and that will effect their financial/ethical status amongst their peers,.. so they just go with the flow instead. JMO,.. but I'm stoned today so I doubt it makes any sence.

Originally posted by Red Eye Racer
But common and mediocre are mediums,... having a medium is the best way to keep the highest %'age of people happy.
That's true. But is it the government's job to keep a high percentage of people happy? I would suggest it is the government's job to allow individuals and groups to make themselves happy. Our country is supposed to give the freedom to persue happiness, not provide happiness.

One of the government's jobs is to provide adequate representation of the population.

Government by the people, for the people. It follows then that we must provide this for ourselves. But when not even half of people vote, we betray ourselves.

Right, we make the government what it is. And everything the government does is linked back to the voting habbits of the population.

When I say the government's job to do something, I really mean it is the voter's job to care about that.

Posted by milefile
I would suggest it is the government's job to allow individuals and groups to make themselves happy. Our country is supposed to give the freedom to persue happiness, not provide happiness.
👍

As RER said, I think part of the problem lies in that nobody is willing to put their reputation on the line and "take the bull by its horns"... everybody's playing it safe by just staying on one side or the other, and that's causing one bad hell hole.

I really don't know what to say though... how to fix it, in particular. Many people are like lemmings-- They can't think for themselves, so they follow someone else, until everyone's following each other and it creates one big loop.

Best to look at the reasons why it was created in the first place before "disinventing" it.

I know the reasoning revolved around keeping the system free of cooruptive vote counters and such,... I think we have a large enough and well monitored system to not worry so much about that anymore.

You can't complain about both parties then get angry with moderates.

Why? Moderates are noth parties.

They have views in either party - in my book that doesn't make them a moderate. Moderates are people who are indifferent.

Back