Depreciation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epinionator89
  • 10 comments
  • 742 views
Messages
152
I've searched the forum, and it seems as though people have talked about the possibility of depreciation of cars in GT4. For example, it's obvious that the cars, once bought, are only worth about 1/5th of their price. However, I don't think people noticed that there is depreciation (as in loss of value based on mileage) implemented in the game.

It's quite easy to spot out. When viewing a car in your garage (click on any car in garage to view it), just click on "Sell", as if you were selling it, and you'll see "Value" at the bottom of the screen.

According to the cars in my garage, when clicking "Sell" and looking at Value:

2003 Toyota Prius (1862.8 miles)=$5139
2003 Toyota Prius (574.8 miles)=$5461
2003 Toyota Prius (4832.6 miles)=$4947

Conclusion: Mileage made a difference.

Peugeot 406 Coupe (never driven, bought used)(23791.3 miles)=$7312
Peugeot 406 Coupe (never driven, bought used)(30085.2 miles)=$5625

Conclusion: Again, mileage matters.

Nissan Cube (44.3 miles with 184 HP, tuned)=$3064
Nissan Cube (same gen., 4.6 miles with 97 HP)=$3064.

Conclusion: Don't know how it happened, but I guess a difference of forty miles doesn't matter and/or modifications doesn't worsen or improve depreciation any.

Daihatsu Midget II (23391.2 miles)=$932 (stock 30 HP)
Daihatsu Midget II (16 miles)=$1219 (modified to 96 HP)

Conclusion: Mileage matters, and modifications to horsepower probably doesn't matter, as seen with Nissan Cube example.

Next time I'll buy two new cars, get in them both, and tune one up fully to see if modifications make a difference (predition: it doesn't).
 
yes thats true...and tuning it up doesnt modify his value!!! ive done that
 
and I used my minolta to do most of the endurance races. after about 13000 miles, it's selling price goes down to 6xx,xxx, from 74x,xxx. so yes, mileage seems to matter
 
6.2 mi. (10 km) cars are always more expensive than beaters with thousands of miles. Any car with 8000+miles on it has it's engine power at it's lowest point anyhow, so it really doesn't matter if it has sixty thousand miles or ten thousand on it if it's not new or "like-new".

I have noticed the difference between cars with "some" mileage though; I've noticed like cars tend to have different resale values. Weird.

Xcuz
yes thats true...and tuning it up doesnt modify his value!!! ive done that

Modding your car has never made a difference to it's resale price in any GT game. It doesn't matter if your Trueno has 128hp or 300hp, wing or no wing; the resale value is always about 1/4 of the purchase price.
 
Just another reason why GT is the most realistic simulator out there
 
in real life if a car has more 200hp than the stock and is all tuned up its whorth is a lot bigger no?
but i agree gt is the best ever since gt1
 
I noticed this also with the benz CLK race car....I usually sell them but I kept one for long races...after clocking a ton of miles it went down from700k to 600k :yuck:
 
Xcuz
in real life if a car has more 200hp than the stock and is all tuned up its whorth is a lot bigger no?
Not usually, unless you can find another enthusiast who is looking for exactly your car. Selling modified cars is a loser's game.
 
Modded cars rarely go for much more than the stock versions, I've seen a guy sell a CRX with 20k spent on it for 5k, the same goes for kit cars, they sell for pennies compared to the ammount you'd have to spend ni time and money to build one.
 
Back