Deutsche spoken here...

• Thread starter phattboy
  • 14 comments
Amateur Deutsche Grand Touring Car

Earlier today in the thread Challenging Series? neon_duke threw out the challenge for running the Amateur Deutche Grand Touring Car challenge in a stock Clio racecar. I was intrigued by the thought so when I got home tonight I set aside some time to give it a go.

neon_duke had given me the clue that I might want to consider trying some softer tires for qualifying and then switch back to T-5 for the race. I did just that… for about an hour of tweaking and twisting wrenches in the Trial Mountain pits. The best I seemed to be able to manage was a 1’29.xxx. After trying about 10 gazillion setup combinations I realized, that Stock Clio Racecars don’t come with the fully customizable suspension that I had switched into my Clio ages ago.

Frustrated, I put in the semi-racing that came with the little runt originally, set everything else back to original and started over. My first pass around the circuit with the actual stock configuration netted me a 1’28.xxx. Go figure.

Drop the suspension just a little here, add a little downforce there, and tweak the tranny settings so my 6th gear ends up a 1.000 with the final at 4.60 and POOF, I’m first place on the grid with a 1’25.112 with the stock T-5. Now mind you, the Astra is sitting there in second with only a +.004 but I figure I can whoop him. I have, by now, run enough qualifying laps while tuning that he has surely given me his best shot.

EDIT 1/26: (Just for the record) At this point I figured I had my setup right (finally) and so I saved the settings for when I could come back later and start fresh. Finished what I had to do elsewhere, came back, requalified and started the series on the pole.

Out of the chut when the bells toll and "POOF", I’m back to third place with a CLK climbing up my backside. This Clio is a puss! Into the tunnel, the CLK gives me a nudge and I’m on the outside looking up his backside now. Quick shift back into track position, slip under the CLK on the first sharp right out of the first tunnel and I’m looking at stereo Astra butts.

One of the Astras (couldn’t tell you which, they all look the same to me) "doinks" the rocks on the next corner and he is handily mine before the second tunnel. “Maybe the Clio isn’t such a puss after all,” I’m thinking as I shift back left and sweetly miss the exit of the second tunnel climbing up the back of the other Astra as we enter the third tunnel. “Nope… the Clio is a puss,” I am told by the Asta AI as he dusts me down the backstretch.

Not to worry, the Clio, being the puss that it is, can’t get up enough speed down the backstretch to even slide out to the embankment on the hairpin at the end of the straight. On the other hand… it appears the Astra can get enough speed up to do that and I pass deftly to his left.

First place at this point, of course, lasted only about ½ way up the hill, but not to worry, Clio takes him to the inside at the next sharp right, holds first until the next straight. I catch and pass the Astra at the next tunnel, out-maneuver him through the sharp right, watch him hit the rocks in my rearview on the next right (just outside the second tunnel) and then ride a variable 1 to 3 second lead for the next couple of laps to the finish.

Best Lap- 1’25.425

Me- 4’24.451
Astra- +2.293
CLK- +3.122
Astra- +4.798
Calibra- +7.649
Calibra- +8.782

Midfield:

Here was a squeaker. I wasn’t sure I would even be able to be in the running. Tweaked the final to 4.40, ran one qualifier, got 4th and accidentally hit go instead of settings. I’m committed cause I didn’t save after Trial Mountain.

Entering the first corner I am already in 6th place. Exiting the corner I’m third. The Clio may be a puss but she’s got claws baby!

Whoops! By the top of the hill, I’m sixth again! Bump the brakes, hit the gas, enter the tunnel full tilt and don’t get off the gas until never! I exit the sweeping corner after the tunnel in the lead. (A couple of them sitting in the sand because of it but, better them than me.)

Down the front straight, twin Astras literally push me all the way down the straight ahead of them. What BOZOS!!! Then, when I just tap the brakes, turn right and hammer the corner at the end of the straight, it’s like the AI forgot the corner was there. BAM!!! Twin bloody noses for the Astras and nobody to compete with for two more laps really… that is unless you call +.772 competition to a blocker of my caliber. I like the straight away assist thing from the Astras.

I can’t believe it!!! I win midfield in a French Milk Truck with a number on the side!!!

Best Lap- 1’15.269

Me- 3’53.550
Astra- +.772
Astra- +1.403
CLK- +1.760
Calibra- +2.393
Calibra- +3.126

Ownage of AI at Deep Forest: (Well… ownage for a Clio pilot anyway)

Hit the gas and no brakes anywhere but for the first corner.

Qualified first (one try)- 1’16.608
Best Lap= 1’15.472

Me-3’53.477
CLK- +2.54
Astra- +2.936
Astra- +3.874
Calibra- +5.872
Calibra- +6.640

Laguna:

All I can say is watch out for the curb at the top of the hill before the corkscrew! (I might add to that I am currently considering revising my personal rule of running series races straight through without saving. I kinda think I could win this race.)

CLK- 4’20.345
Astra- +.507
Me- + 2.916
Astra- +5.062
Calibra- +5.527
Calibra- “6.618

Ownage of the User at Tokyo:

I qualified sixth somewhere a couple seconds south of Tokyo proper.

This was a dismal display of French lack of connection. I tried using the force. I tried therapy. I even tried driving the Clio.

Best lap- 1’41.658

CLK- 5’05.205
Astra- +.049
Astra- +.732
Me- +2.05
Calibra- +9.196
Calibra- +11.544

On lap two, I was brilliant! In fact I was so bright, my mama called me son. Now for those of you who are mathematicians here, you will realize that had I carried the lap of brilliance to fruition, I could have won this race by .2xx. Unfortunately instead, the equation worked out to a loss strictly because of lack of driver in the Clio.

The upside is, I still won the series by a whoping 4 points or some such number which netted me some extra cash plus one of the twins.

My after thoughts are that although this permanently spoils my 100% in this game save, I am saving this anyway because I had a blast with this series! Thank you Mr. Duke sir for pointing this one out! At least as much fun as I have ever had with this game! Plus, I have a huge respect for the Clio that I never had before.

Excellent work! I'm glad it was a fun run for you. I did forget to mention that I skipped R246 because A) I wanted to choose my prize car using the save-and-reload trick, and B) I knew the Clio would be totally outgunned on such a long long track.

Good driving and good writeup!

Thanks! It was a hoot!

I was pretty sure I would loose both Midfield and Tokyo before I ever started the series. I expected I could win Laguna and still think that I can.

Just for the fun of it, I did go back and race Laguna individually after I submitted the write-up and although I didn't win, I did get within .18x at the finish line. I kept blowing the first hairpin at the end of the front straight but man I was nailing the corkscrew. I'm not sure there is a more fun car to run the corkscrew in. You can LAUNCH that little runt off there! I have visions of Monty Python... "RELEASE THE CLIO!"

As for being outgunned at Tokyo, "I" was outgunned and the numbers prove that. I think the Clio can win this race with the stars in the right alignment and at this juncture, with a different driver. When I re-ran Tokyo individually, I was able to get within slightly under a second. I blew the last corner before the main straight and the Clio just didn't have the "uumpa" to hold the lead up that straight. Weird to try and block the AI up the main straight of R246. It is like they WILL NOT BE DENIED when you are underpowered there.

(Can't believe a 48 year old man is gettin so excited about a stupid playstation game!)

phattboy

Talk to Uncle Bob sometime - he's got about 10 years on you. And I'm only about 10 behind you...

Originally posted by neon_duke
Talk to Uncle Bob sometime - he's got about 10 years on you. And I'm only about 10 behind you...

The game kinda lends itself to this age group. Sometimes though (when I am in reality check mode), I have to look at how jazzed up I get and shake my head and chuckle.

Excellent Write Up "SON" ! :lol:
:D Somehow missed "Dukes" report, glad I found yours. Looks like a very interesting challenge. The Clios (either one) are favorites of mine to help introduce the game to new players after they've mastered the "Mini." Sweet handling & just enough HP, IMO...UB57
:D

I didn't actually make a writeup for this one. In fact, I stupidly didn't bother to collect my lap times and ETs. I was just re-re-running the series to fill in holes in my car collection. Getting the Astra was a blowout using the stock CLK tourer, so I didn't want to use the Astra to get the Lupo. I started fishing around for less powerful cars and ran across the Clio racer. Then someone asked for recommendations for close races, and I made that suggestion.

Originally posted by UB57
Excellent Write Up "SON" ! :lol:

Thank you for the encouragement UB!

Originally posted by neon_duke
I didn't actually make a writeup for this one. In fact, I stupidly didn't bother to collect my lap times and ETs. I was just re-re-running the series to fill in holes in my car collection. Getting the Astra was a blowout using the stock CLK tourer, so I didn't want to use the Astra to get the Lupo. I started fishing around for less powerful cars and ran across the Clio racer. Then someone asked for recommendations for close races, and I made that suggestion.

This would explain why I couldn't find it when I searched. BuDuH!!:banghead: I guess I should have asked.

phattboy

Holy Cow.......

I'm never one to brag, but I consider myself a solid mid-level racer. I was driving the pants off that thing, or so I thought, and never qualified above 5th. (with 1.26.0).

Not entirely giving up, though. I'll try again tomorrow.

Hats off...really. You guys need to race in the Weekly Series more often.

*wanders off to bed muttering something about Astras*

A Mighty "Tip O' The Hat" to phattboy !!! :bowdown:
:D Had an hour to kill so tried your Clio Challenge. Ran the first four seperately to determine Auto Set & w/minimal chassis adjustments, started the Series. Did NOT Qualify for any of the races & Finished 4/4/1/4/4 for 4th overall. (Lots o' 4s eh)! Just 2 points outa 3rd.
Was most diappointed in my LSR Finish as in the Test I finished 2nd there. Only highlight was a 1'15.388 @ Deep Forest. Think I'll need a bit more practice before I can best these "Teutonic Tourers" w/the little Clio...UB57
:D

:lol: "Teutonic Tourers":lol:

(Note: That would be of or pertaining to the peoples of northern Europe for you unedjicated peeple.)

Thank you very much UB!! Looks like your fast lap in the Forest was faster than mine!! That was the one I felt like I did the best in too!

I was REALLY mad about LSR cause I blew that race in one stupid move:irked: I always seem to beat myself:banghead:

phattboy

Back